Required Account Creation to Order

I have purchased Soylent for four different people now. Apparently, I just know a lot of people that don’t use Tech but are interested in Soylent.

Make a long story short, Rosa Labs requires you to create an account to place an order for Soylent and its really lame.

Just an FYI to Rosa Labs and the Soylent team, all one has to do is use a disposable email address like guerilla mail.

You have at least three accounts from me personally who have placed orders for other people using this method.

Create a guest checkout, PLEASE.

I bet there are thousands of customers who give their real email addresses for every one who uses a fake one.

Thats not the point, the point is the more barriers they put in place to get their product, they have the potential to loose those customers.

Guest checkout is very standard amongst web carts.

I don’t understand why you wouldn’t just place all the orders under one account? I get that it doesn’t address your complaint, I’m just curious.

Given that you’ll have to provide an email for processing potential issues and to send shipping information, the real reason for not creating an account is to reduce the amount of spam and the potential for information theft by hackers.

I’m not sure it’s a very USEFUL method since they still have to keep an address and credit card information.

Typically a company won’t try to send email etc. promoting new products, and won’t or can’t sell the contact information to other companies, for GUEST accounts, but can and usually will sell that information for registered accounts, even though they might offer an opt-out somewhere deep in their options.

That’s a more immediately useful thing. But hackers don’t care and will generally rip the email addresses to sell to spammers.

They don’t provide the free pitcher and scoop if I were to place the orders on my account.

Since these were being sent to people new to Soylent, I had to create a new account for each in order to get the free pitcher and scoop for them.

So if they did have a “guest checkout” how would they track if they needed to send the pitcher and scoop ?

I hit the enter key early, please stand by…

What if I said, they don’t really need to. Its a free gift that they incorporate into their overhead, like they already have.

Still though, you can definitely track who has received free gifts by address. If someone enters an address that has already received a free gift through using “Guest Checkout,” a simple error pop-up saying something to the effect of:

Oops! We noticed we have already sent this address a free gift. Are you a new customer? Register this address by creating an account or call customer service at:.

TL;DR
Internet users are suffering from, what the industry calls, “New Account Fatigue.” Customers don’t want to create an account unless there is a clear benefit. Shoppers will go to great lengths to make a purchase without signing in. In the extreme they abandon their cart in favor of a different store. Also, one can argue that due to the fact so many websites require us to login, users make easily remembered passwords and/or use the same password among multiple sites which is insecure and creates a vulnerability for the customer.

One of the biggest reason that Rosa Labs, in my view, doesn’t feel that a Guest Checkout is right for their product is because they have a subscription based service. Since the customer can’t get Soylent anywhere else except for this website, we simply can’t go to another store, so Rosa Labs has the market.

Analytics will prove that a Guest Checkout will lead to higher sales conversions.

So why not turn on Guest Checkout for for those people who DO NOT what to subscribe?

Rosa Labs already puts a 15% discount on subscriptions, they are urging you to subscribe - This is the benefit of creating an account and why people will still continue to do so.

Back to your question about how to track who gets the free pitcher? You don’t, its a free gift that they incorporate into their overhead, like they already have.

Still though, you can definitely track who has received free gifts by address. If someone enters an address that has already received a free gift through using “Guest Checkout,” a simple error pop-up saying something to the effect of:

Oops! We noticed we have already sent this address a free gift. Are you a new customer? Register this address by creating an account or call customer service at:.

Thus, creating yet another benefit to create an account without creating a barrier.