Reusing Oil bottles

Anyone? I can’t bring myself to throw them away in recycling, but I also can’t think of what to do with them. I’m happy to ship them to anyone who has a use.

Maybe in the future a recycle return policy could be put into place - so when you receive an order, a pre paid envelope would be included in which you could return your empty bottles that would then be reused. Some printer ink companies have kind of the same set up with empty ink cartridges. Other than that, I can’t really think of anything.

I swear this exact thread existed before, with these exact two posts… did timestamps get wonky and this is the old one…?

I’ve got several of the oil bottles sitting on my desk. Couldn’t bear to toss them. I was going to use the for making my own Caffeine/L-Theanine/Alpha GPC shots, like these, but I’m finding that I don’t really need any caffeine when I have Soylent for breakfast. Also, the damned bottles leak if they’re not upright so I won’t be throwing them in my laptop bag full of liquid. They’re probably just going in the recycling bin.

Rob did say in his fireside chat thread that he was currently living off a version of Soylent without a separate liquid oil, so maybe they won’t even be needed for the next revision.

Are they definitely recyclable? What about the powder packets?

Ultimately in the future I hope and (as mentioned by rob) I believe their intention is to do away with the oil.

Yeah, @shadowhawkxx, I asked this question within a different thread probably over a month ago and so it’s quite buried. I started its own thread in case anyone had come up with solutions or ideas since then or anyone new to discourse had suggestions. It’s easier to track (for me) if it’s its own thread. I also searched for a similar thread before starting this one.[quote=“gilahacker, post:4, topic:14424”]
Rob did say in his fireside chat thread that he was currently living off a version of Soylent without a separate liquid oil, so maybe they won’t even be needed for the next revision.
[/quote]
OOOH! That’d be awesome.[quote=“gilahacker, post:4, topic:14424”]
They’re probably just going in the recycling bin.
[/quote]

Yeah. I was kinda hoping maybe someone could make use of them for an art project at the very least. :smile:

They have a recycling symbol with a 1 & I hAve been recycling most. Some I repurposed for shampoo bottles when traveling.

The actual recycleability (I might have just made up a word) of most any plastics is suspect at best. Melting them down can release toxic gasses and sometimes it just isn’t cost effective. In some cases, what we think gets recycled actually gets put on a barge and dumped in a third world country.

Source: Some TV show I watched a few years ago, so… requisite grain of salt. I think it may have been on the Discovery Channel’s “Planet Green” sister channel.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I think the symbol on plastics that looks like a recycle symbol with a number in it is actually just identifying the type of plastic, and not implying that it is specifically recyclable.