Review: Uber Cookies

There are times where I don’t want to deal with mixing up a batch of soylent. Perhaps there’s no refrigeration, or I don’t have a good place to wash the pitcher, or carrying a pitcher of mixed up soylent would be inconvenient. For example I like to do motorcycle camping. Just like car camping, but on a motorcycle instead. Space is limited, there isn’t always a good place to wash dishes, there’s no refrigeration, mixing up each meal at meal time is inconvenient. So when I saw someone mention Uber Cookies on here, I had to buy some to see if they would fill that need for me.

Uber Cookies is basically a solid DIY soylent. One day’s worth of food (2000 calories) is 8 cookies. I bought 6-days worth and after shipping it was $72.65, so that works out to $12.11 per day.

The cookies are a little over 3" around, and roughly 3/4" thick. I weigh 1-day worth at about 600 grams. I’d describe the taste as “dense bran muffin” but I do wonder if it’s like Soylent where you get all sorts of different answers for what the taste is. Does it really taste like a bran muffin, or is that just what I’m expecting it to taste like? It’s not like a sugar cookie, at any rate.

The cookies have a “pretty” side, and a “dark side”. No doubt the dark side is the side that was down when they were baked.

I know vacuum packing the cookies was a new thing being tried. I actually received 1 day not vacuum packed, the other 5 vacuum packed. So it gave me the opportunity to compare the difference in the cookies.

The vacuum packed cookies have the pattern of the vacuum bags on the cookies.

The vacuum packed cookies are also more compressed. It makes for a denser cookie. I think the cookies that weren’t vacuum packed are a little better, but it’s not as big a difference as I would imagine. The vacuum packed cookies are denser, but it almost reminds me of how a Clif Bar is dense. The idea behind the vacuum packing of course is longer shelf life, which if it works that’s a good thing. Is it worth the trade offs? I think it depends what the shelf life would be with and without the vacuum packing. I also imagine you could toss these in the freezer and greatly extend the life regardless.

The pros:

• Super convenient. No preparation at all, simply eat as-is.
  • No dishes to wash.
  • Nothing to refrigerate or keep cold.
  • I like the taste.
  • No strange texture - no “grit” or “chalk” in this form.

The cons:

• Unknown nutrition. That is, I know the protein/fat/carb. I know the calories. I would imagine the ingredients are similar to Uber Chow, which is based off People Chow. Though I know there’s some differences - for example the protein coming from soy flour. I don’t have even an ingredient list. There’s also the question of how much of the vitamins are lost in baking.
  • The cost is higher than liquid alternatives.
  • Potentially limited shelf life

So, would I order them again? Yeah, probably will for my next trip. I don’t see myself replacing my normal soylent with these, due to the higher cost and unknown nutrition variables. But there is definitely a time and a place where a solid soylent is so much easier to deal with and convenient that I’ll buy it for that. Maybe I’ll toss some in the freezer at work too for those days I forget to bring my soylent.

Nice review! For those who like to bake, it’s fairly easy to make your own cookie/bar-like things with Soylent and not a whole lot else. Several threads floating around discussing it. It is definitely very handy to have a solid-form Soylent around from time to time. I definitely think this type of product has a place, whether commercial or homemade.

Hmmm…

Sounds SUPER convenient (and tasty!) to me, but I can’t help but wonder what the effect of the heat from baking has on the value of the nutritional supplements in Soylent.

Any ideas?

I just opened another vacuum sealed day of cookies. These are just about 2 months old now. Still tastes fine!

Well, I’d say they’re past the shelf life at this point. I’m now seeing a bit of mold growing on the edges of the cookies. These would have been baked 11/25 I believe. So they looked fine at nearly 2 months but didn’t last much beyond that.

In practice, I think if I was going to buy these for use more than a couple weeks out I’d store in the freezer.

Incidentally, looks like you can’t buy them pre-baked right now, though the powder is available very cheaply. Add oil and apple sauce. At that price I’m tempted to buy the powder just to experiment with adding things to the dough. Then again, one of the main reasons I’d go with a solid form of soylent is zero prep and the powder obviously loses that.