Revisiting phytic acid and complementary soaking

I have spent the day reading through the forum and google on the effects of phytic acid and methods to reduce it. I don’t think this question has been addressed, but correct me if I am wrong. In my google searching, I came across This Article about the phytic acid, spefically in oatmeal, and how oatmeal does not contain enough phytase to neutralize the phytic acid simply by soaking overnight. It references that corn and soy have similar problems- so for most of our DIYers, we seem to have a problem.

Now lets assume soylenters mix up a batch of soylent the night before, I have heard many people say this helps with various soylent issues, and I would say it is the responsible way to do so. According to the article, a person can perform what the author calls “complimentary soaking” in which you mix about 10% of a grain high in phytase with 90% corn/oat/other and it does the trick. Does that mean all we need to do to negate the phytic acid effects of a recipe with 350g or so of corn/oat flour is to add 30 or so grams of a different grain and mix up the batch overnight?

I was never convinced it was a real problem. Didn’t replacing masa harina as the go to slow carb source eliminate this problem in most diy recipes?

Not so far as the aforementioned article is concerned, though I guess the author could be mistaken. According to the article both Corn and Oats have the problem of too much phytic acid and too little phytase.

I did some research here, and it does seem to make a certain amount of sense. I’d like a second opinion here, would something like this help?

Its hard to tell, not knowing which enzymes it has. If it has phytase then yes it will help

I have been using malted barley as my carb source. You can buy it from home brew stores. Cheap too: about a dollar a pound. Barley is high enough in phytase to eliminate all of its phytic acid, and then some. It has been soaked and sprouted (this is malting), so all of the phytic acid is gone. It also tastes great! I recommend going with a Crystal Malt (20L or 40L IMHO, for flavor reasons), in which some of the starches have already been converted to simpler sugars.

Whats the texture like?

I blend it in a vitamix to make a flour first. Usually make a week supply at a time.

Texture of the shake is quite acceptable. You do get a “husk” layer at the bottom, but I usually just add a bit more water, swirl, and down it.

You may be able to get rid of the husk leftovers by adding an emulsifier to your DIY, if you’re not doing that already. Soy Lecithin is a popular one, as it also provides choline.