Schmoylent and Soylent: My quick review of each

I finished off my week of Soylent and ordered some Schmoylent from @axcho at the site www.custombodyfuel.com/product/schmoylent/ My experience with Soylent was good, with no adverse effects. I don’t plan on getting my 2 week order for many moons, so I wanted to give the Schmoylent a go. My method of mixing them both was pitcher and shaking, no oil. I would drink 1 meal over breakfast/lunch and a regular dinner. This would get me 3 meals from 1 bag.

With Soylent, the flavor is a smooth vanilla. The texture is chalky or gritty, but it’s not unpleasant to me. I did find that if I added a bit too much water, the taste wasn’t nearly as good. Flavoring it was very difficult and I gave up after being unable to drown out the vanilla flavoring. Overall, no issues and I can see myself using it for a long time after my initial order. On to the Schmoylent…

My Schmoylent arrived in good time, took about a week after ordering…even with my ordering screw up initially. :stuck_out_tongue: The taste of Schmoylent was definitely not for me. I think I was spoiled by Soylent’s vanilla taste. Schmoylent reminded me very much of a vitamin taste or maybe one of the old creatine shakes. The texture is less smooth from my mixing method, but there’s no chalky/grit like in the official Soylent. The other thing is flavoring with Schmoylent is very easy. I’ve added 1/2 teaspoon of nesquik and it tasted much better immediately, with a nice hint of chocolate. With axcho’s suggestion, I tried cinnamon and it went from meh to amazing!

Overall, I think Schmoylent is a great product and I love how easily it absorbs flavoring! I was putting 2 teaspoons of nesquik in my Soylent and it really didn’t change much. I also feel like Schmoylent does a better job of filling me up and I have far fewer food craving with it. I definitely will be doing another order soon as I get closer to the end of my supply!

TLDR: Both products are great, Soylent has better taste, Schmoylent has better texture and flavoring and Schmoylent fills me up better. No changes on either that I’ve noticed and no issues.

How long did schmoylent sit after mixing before you consumed it? @axcho might have better guidance but if I’m in a hurry with people chow and haven’t waited at least 15 minutes for the vitamins and minerals to dissolve or whatever then it tastes awful. My brief experience with the official soylent was that it needed 1-2 hours in a refrigerator before it was good.

I mix it the night before and consume the next day. I tried a swallow after mixing the first time and liked it better than after it sat. It’s not bad at all, just different. Bad smells and tastes don’t really get to me so no big deal. :smiley:

I mixed up a batch exactly like @axcho recommended and it’s perfect. Nice cocoa/cinnamon flavoring really goes down great!!

I felt somewhat similar – the natural Schmoylent taste was somehow not for me. I was hesitant to drink it because of that. Soylent was a bit more palatable to me.

However, after mixing in about a tsp of cinnamon per pitcher it is much improved.

I bought some PB2 peanut butter powder and am going to mix up a batch with that tonight.

Do you feel like it is more filling? I feel like with soylent it just doesn’t fill me up like scmoylent does.

I think I’ve found them equally filling, but I haven’t had a ton of Soylent (only had one bag, my official order hasn’t come yet).

If you’re doing that long term make sure you use Ceylon Cinnamon instead of Cassia (the “normal” stuff you can find at the supermarket) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamomum_cassia#Health_benefits_and_risks

Why aren’t you using the oil? It is important nutritionally.

I eat a normal meal for my dinner, so I get oils through regular food. I’ve been known to nibble on the occasional sunflower seed bag or three, so more there too. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m not too worried about that toxin found in some cinnamon, because I’m using 1.5 teaspoons per daily mix and will be lowering it to 1 teaspoon until I find my sweet spot. Googling led me to multiple sites saying that anything over 1 tablespoon (3 teaspoons) per day could be toxic. I’m far from there and I don’t consume cinnamon regularly. :stuck_out_tongue:

“One teaspoon of cassia cinnamon powder therefore contains 5.8 to 12.1 mg of coumarin, which may be above the tolerable daily intake value for smaller individuals”. (.1mg per kg body weight, which if you do the math 1 teaspoon is the upper limit for 128-266 pounds). Cinnamon tastes amazing with soylent, but cassia is wildly inconsistent in how much coumarin is present. Also, this recommended limit is for long-term use of cinnamon.

I bought a 16 oz container of Ceylon cinnamon off Amazon (since I have Prime), it worked out to $1.75/oz.

P.S. I can’t wait until I get my Soylent notification so I can compare them as well.

It’s very interesting to hear how many people are not into the taste of plain Schmoylent, but then like it way better with some cinnamon or cocoa powder (which I understand - I like it that way too!). I’m wondering if I should just add a bit of cinnamon (half a teaspoon or so?) to every Schmoylent order. Is there anyone who would object to that? :stuck_out_tongue:

I just ordered my Schmoylent a day or two ago, I was wondering how much should you put cinnamon or cocoa powder in a pitcher? Im kinda confused. Is it both or either or? 1 tsp each or 1 tsp seperate pitchers? Does anyone know how long you can keep schmoylent in a fridge? If I make two-day meals everyother night would that be okay?

I recommend 1-2 teaspoons of cinnamon, or 2-4 tablespoons of cocoa powder (or both!) for a day’s worth of Schmoylent. It should be fine for a few days in the fridge.

I’m on my 2nd bag and I drink 1 meal a day so it lasts me 3 days. 2 days should be no issue at all. :stuck_out_tongue:

Awesome thank you guys. Can’t wait to get my Schmoylent (stupidly excited).

Seconding the recommendation to use genuine Ceylon cinnamon if you are going to use it regularly. I love cinnamon and add probably 2 tablespoons a day, maybe more? If you intend to use it daily I would also recommend it to avoid coumarin.

I’d rather have the plain Schmoylent and add my own flavors. Sometimes I’ll drink it plain, other times I’ll add cinnamon, or cocoa, or dark cacao, or PB2, or coffee :stuck_out_tongue: . If you wanted to offer variants though I’m sure people would buy them.

Any recommendation on what cocoa powder to get? I saw this at amazon but wasn’t sure if it was a good choice or not:
http://www.amazon.com/Healthworks-Certified-Organic-Cacao-Powder/dp/B00EKLPLU4/

If you use the Hershey’s special dark cocoa, you only need 2 TBSP for a whole day’s worth (of original Soylent.) It is stronger than regular (Hershey’s) cocoa.

Un-lurking just to say that I object. I am very into plain Schmoylent. :worried:

Having some right now. Nom nom nom.