Shaken vs Stirred: How Do You Mix Your Soylent?

After five days of mixing my Soylent in a blender, I decided to try mixing it up by shaking the container today. I was not impressed. In the blender, I’m able to get everything mixed with absolutely no clumps or other issues. With the shaking method, I had small clumps, but I also had quite a bit of partially mixed Soylent find its way into the pitcher’s threads. The card that comes with Soylent recommends using a blender, but I know several posters felt like that was unnecessary.

I suspect I’m doing it wrong, so I’m eager to learn how to break free of the tyranny of the blender. Not that I won’t still use it, I’d just like to feel confident mixing some Soylent up away from the house if need be. I’m certain everyone is using a slightly different method, so I thought we might be able to learn a bit form each other.

So how do you mix your Soylent? Include any and all details, tips, or tricks for making the perfect batch.

I believe blender balls are pretty popular.

I just wrote to another forum member in a PM who asked a similar question of me… here was my answer:

So my experience with a blender ball was actually that it didn’t help much. In fact, some of the powder got inside the ball and kinda solidified there, and when I drained that pitcher, there was a weird hard-looking lump in the middle of the ball. As soon as I poked it, it collapsed into powder. So I never bothered using one again. I’ve never tried a blender except when making a smoothie, but personally I find the pitcher works great on its own. That being said, I have developed a bit of a method to my mixing madness, which goes something like this…

1. Remove handle ring from pitcher
  2. Fill pitcher with about 4 or 5 inches of water
  3. Take Soylent pouch and drop it on the counter maybe 4 or 5 times, to force all the powder possible to the bottom so that I don’t make a mess when opening the bag.
  4. Tear open Soylent pouch, trying to stay as much in the middle of the “tear line” as possible. Can use scissors too which I did the first couple times.
  5. Pinch the top of the open pouch tight, and fold it over so nothing can fall out
  6. Turn bag over above pitcher and dump out contents into pitcher. Tap and mangle the bag a fair amount in order to get all the powder out and again, make as little mess as possible
  7. Screw on green handle/ring, and fill pitcher to about 80% with water. Swirl it carefully a bit just to break up the powder a bit, and to help reduce the chances of any oil coming into direct immediate contact with powder.
  8. Add oil and fill with water to the bottom of the green ring.
  9. Seal pitcher and turn it upside down over sink, to ensure that the seal is solid and not leaking. A couple times I had a mysterious leak and had to unseal and reseal the pitcher to stop it
  10. Shake shake shake, move your body. Within this step, is another slight method to my madness though…
    a. With pitcher upright, I “swirl” it around for a minute in order to just break up the owner and distribute all the liquid I can, before getting into the heavy shaking.
    b. While swirling, I begin to tip the pitcher so that water starts to flow towards the top as well. I’m trying to avoid getting powder shoved into the top where it can get trapped and doesn’t mix.
    c. Once tipped fully horizontal, I keep swirling the water so that it’s going around the pitcher, like a cyclone on its side now. I do this for maybe 20 seconds or so again just to help disperse the water everywhere.
    d. Now I shake like a demon, upside down, right side up, side to side, you name it. Check all angles of the pitcher to look for any white spots that are still stuck to the inside. They shouldn’t last long.

I place it in the door of our fridge, and I actually do this upside down to force the oil that will inevitably separate, to the bottom of the pitcher. This way when I take it out later, turning it over will give some additional mixing - though I still shake it real good anyway.

For my DIY, I started off using a blender, but found it to be hard to clean. I had to take apart everything to clean the little bits under the blades, and I felt like I lost a lot of soylent to the large surface area of the blender’s pitcher. My usual method is:

1. Weigh out dry ingredients on scale. I do this on a daily basis the night before I plan on eating, but I’ve sometimes mixed up ~5 day’s worth and just taken from that daily for a super-convenient alternative.
  2. Mix dry ingredients in the scale’s bowl. Takes a little caution to avoid spilling.
  3. Add ~2 inches of water to each of my two blender bottles.
  4. Scoop about half of the dry ingredients into each bottle.
  5. Measure out the liquid ingredients, putting half a day’s worth into each bottle.
  6. Drop the blender balls on top (more on this later).
  7. Fill the bottles with water, let settle, put the caps on, and top off the water again.
  8. Shake. I’ll usually do some shaking vertically with the bottles upright, but also some vertical, horizontal, and circular shaking with the bottles horizontal.

I’ve found the blender balls are somewhat effective at removing clumps. The trick (maybe), @vanclute, is to drop the ball in after you’ve put in the powder, or maybe even after your first bit of shaking. If you pour the powder directly on top of the ball, it’s going to fill up and not let enough water in. I’ve also found that letting it soak and chill overnight helps break up the clumps. The real advantage of blender bottles, for me, if that they’re easy to clean compared to my wide-mouth nalgenes.

I’m lucky the ratios worked out just right so that half a day’s soylent fits in a blender bottle filled to the top with water and reaches just the viscosity I like.

Vanclute, always the ultimate resource.

One thing I will say is that I was surprised there wasn’t more stratification with my Soylent until I made a batch without the blender. I’d estimate the separation was reduced by 80% or so when using the blender. That said, its not like it’s really an issue aside from how appetizing it looks. Just shake it before you pour and you’re good to go!

Yep, very good point. If I were to use one again (haven’t felt the need) I would drop it in at the stage of adding the oil and final water.

@vanclute have you tried to use warm/hot water from the sink at first and then let it chill in the fridge before drinking? I know many things mix better in warm/hotter water. Not boiling water (as we don’t want to cook this).

I did do one batch early on with kinda lukewarm water, and didn’t notice any difference. I haven’t had any trouble mixing with normal cold water so haven’t bothered with anything else.

The answer to all of your woes… http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ARQVM5O

I used one of these when I was trying out DIY. It worked very VERY well at getting all the clumps out and all you have to do is rinse it off after you’re done. There are some models that have longer blending arms that you could use in the Takeya too.

How long does it take to separate again? Like, I mix up my Soylent the night before, in the pitcher, and then I pour it into a portable vessel to take to work… will I have to reshake it every time I want a sip, or is it good for the morning?

I just mixed my first batch (in a blender), it’s been about 10-15 minutes since I shook it last. There looks to be oil visible on top now, so it’ll probably need a good shake whenever you grab it. The rest seems to still be mixed fine, won’t know for sure until morning though.

I generally give my thermos a quick shake every time I drink, just for good measure. Maybe not necessary but, gives me peace of mind. =)

Has anyone tried using a few ice cubes as a way to shatter any powder clumps ?

The "I got my Soylent!" thread

Does the pitcher come with a blender ball?

No blender ball not needed. I have used ice cubes to get instant cold Soylent. Worked ok bug letting it chill really is best.

Ok, thank you :smile:

I’ve found that if i add 5-10 Icecubes before adding the powder, then adding the liter of water on top, that the powder doesn’t get stuck in the blades and washing is super quick and easy. (I use a Blendtec)

Yes, this immersion blender is so much easier to manage than a regular blender. There’s pretty much one part to rinse, and you don’t have to use two containers.

I mix everything with about half the washer, then add the rest of the water and blend a bit more.

I can also attest - Immersion Blenders are really the way to go. If you already have one, it is perfect for mixing, even in the deep Takeya as long as you only add some water, blend, then add the rest. And it is extremely easy to clean as well, much easier than a standard blender.

I got mine in anticipation of my Soylent arriving for 34.99, the model linked above. I won’t be using anything else to mix up my daily batches.

I bought a sample from someone on eBay, so I didn’t have the starter kit, just a batter pitcher.

I’ve found whisking it briskly–you know, with a whisk–works quite well. Rewhisk before pouring.