Shameless DIY plug for people missing 1.3

I’m about to get my first shipment of official Soylent, but all last summer I lived on a variation of @BriBy’s Bulletproof Soylent recipe: http://diy.soylent.me/recipes/ttes-bulletproof-soylent-tastes-like-13. I just finished a week of 1.3 from eBay (bought so I can decide how it stacks up to the month of 1.4 I’m about to get), and the taste/texture/weird-maltodextrin-aftertaste-when-it-gets-warm was EERILY similar to my DIY. It uses whey protein, so it’s not so great if you have a problem with lactose (like me, as it turns out…), but otherwise it might be a good starting recipe for folks who canceled/switched to DIY because of 1.4. Plugs!

Muscle Feast makes a good gluten-free & lactose-free whey protein. It costs a bit more, but can be worth it for those with sensitivites.

Whey protein isolate contains no lactose. Maybe you were sensitive to something in the GNC product in there?

Commercial isolates vary in content. Not all of them are completely lactose-free. For instance, the Body Fortress isolate is “98.5% lactose free”. Whether that’s low enough depends on how sensitive to lactose one is.

I found some Dymatize Cookies & Cream on a great sale at a local grocery store and tried it out today. Very tasty.

A protein powder mix may have lactose, but the ingredient “whey protein isolate” contains no lactose. The specific whey product in the recipe they posted, Now Foods 100% Whey Protein Isolate, is a pure whey isolate product, and should be fine, even for the lactose intolerant.

Their recipe also includes GNC MegaSport Vanilla Bean; “vanilla” and “creamy” formulas often include milk as a flavoring ingredient. The GNC MegaSport ingredients include:

Nonfat dry milk, natural and artificial vanilla cream flavor

That’s more likely to be what’s causing their problem, if they’re lactose intolerant.

Awesome, I’ll have to check that out if 1.4 doesn’t do it for me!

Huh, I didn’t know that. I switched to a different recipe without the Mega Men powder a while back, but I’m sure stuff like cheese and yogurt was far more responsible for my digestive issues than the whey protein. I know whey protein isolate is supposed to only have a tiny amount of lactose in it (it’s whey protein concentrate you have to watch out for), but on the label for the Now Foods stuff it does say “contains milk.” I only started eliminating dairy from my diet a month or so ago (turns out lactose intolerance runs in the family, and it’s really helped so far), so I figure it’s best to eliminate anything that might have lactose in it, just to be absolutely sure.

I’m lactose intolerant, too, but I’m not allergic to milk.

Lactose intolerance is the inability to break down lactose, which is the sugar in milk.

Milk allergy is an allergic reaction to one of the proteins in milk.

Whey and casein are milk proteins. All whey products are milk products, and that’s important for people with milk allergy!

Whey isolate, itself, is very pure, and is almost purely the two proteins that make up whey, but if you’re allergic to one of them, it’s a problem. Most people with milk allergy are allergic to one of the proteins in casein, not whey, but both happen.

The main thing is that the GNC product contains fat-free milk powder - no matter what part of the milk you’re sensitive to, it’s in there!

Lactose intolerance is definitely genetic, and is definitely an inherited trait, but it’s recessive. Or, actually, to be specific, lactose intolerance is normal… it’s lactose tolerance that’s an inherited trait. We all produce lactase as babies, and lactase breaks down the lactose. But once we grow up, we stop producing lactase. The ‘change’ was a new gene that makes you keep producing lactase as an adult; this trait is called lacatase persistence.

Both of my parents had at least one gene without lactase persistence (the normal gene.) My mother had one for normal lactase production (adult intolerance), and one for persistence (adult tolerance), so no lactose intolerance. Both of my siblings also got one gene for lactase persistence - so no intolerance. I, however, drew the short straw from both parents. (We don’t know for sure what my dad had; he died before I got the family tested - but he never complained, and loved ice cream, so he probably had one of each, like my mother.)

Also, just FYI, the lactase production doesn’t usually shut down completely - most lactose-intolerant people still produce small amounts of lactase, and can tolerate small amounts of lactose… if even trivially small amounts of milk product set you off, you may have a milk allergy.

I can’t have ice cream without a problem… but I can use cream in my coffee without a problem. I stay away from milk in the coffee - a tiny bit of cream lightens the coffee and has low lactose, but it takes a lot of milk to have the same lightening effect, and that comes with a lot of lactose. When I can, I use soy creamer, instead.

I’m not so sure. NOW Foods does not claim it to be free of lactose. It does state “<1g sugar”, which is likely some lactose.

http://www.allstarhealth.com/f/now-whey_protein_isolate_natural.htm

(99% lactose-free)

You’re right, it says < 1 g sugar… though it does not say “99% lactose free” on the bottle I have, nor on the Now Foods web site. The only ingredients are soy lecithin and whey isolate. Soy lecithin powder contains a trace amount of sugar, too, but it’s less than 1% of the protein powder, so it’s likely that the tiny amount of sugar in the mix is from the whey isloate, which means lactose.

All that having been said, a gram of lactose should pretty much be a non-issue, even for someone who is completely lactose intolerant. You need a sufficient intake of lactose to cause any noticeable symptom - unlike an allergy, which can be set off by very, very tiny intakes.

Someone who feels pain in their stomach immediately after drinking milk, or after a gram of lactose, probably has an allergy. Lactose doesn’t bother anyone’s stomach. Someone who gets a lot of gas and the related cramps, pain, and bloating shortly after, however, is likely lactose intolerant… the problems all come from the gas created by the bacteria that consume the lactose. If you don’t consume enough lactose to feed a lot of bacteria, there’s no gas.