Should Rosa Labs "Warn" People About Soylent?

This is a bit of a spinoff of the synthetic vs natural micro-nutrients thread.

I think everyone on these forums knows that Soylent contains everything that Rosa Labs believes people need to survive and thrive. The key word being believe.

Should Rosa Labs put a little notice on the new customer order pages letting people know that it is possible (though very unlikely) Soylent may be missing something? I.E.

Most people who have followed Soylent for any appreciable amount of time understand this, but some person just going to the official website, subscribes to a 28 day plan, and goes on with their life will be ignorant of this.

Should the onus of informing potential customers about this (unlikely) possibility be put on Rosa Labs?

maybe mcdonalds should put warning labels on their stuff saying if you eat this every day for a year you will get fat?

Yes, if only to CYA. In fact it should even be labelled something like ‘Experimental’ but I don’t know if there are some legal issues surrounding it.

I just hope someone doesn’t get ill, falsely blames it on the Soylent and kills the party.

The issue with that logic is, McDonald’s can say “we don’t expect people to eat here every day!” With a 28 day supply delivered every 28 days, it is very difficult to make such an argument.

I think the key is not to recommend going 100% without data to support that recommendation. As it stands, I think it’s difficult to say why they’d need to have any kind of warning.

Personally, I understand the “we don’t know what we don’t know” argument to a point, but I find it difficult to believe that I’m getting some magical nutrient from my current diet of breakfast cereal, burgers, and tacos that is more important than all the KNOWN necessary nutrients I’m NOT getting. Obviously, my tone will change quickly if people using Soylent begin to exhibit adverse reactions, but I haven’t come across anything yet. I guess just feel like the “mystery ingredient” people are referring to as possibly existing is just as likely to only exist in cow tongue or chocolate cake, and yet no one seems to be recommending those foods “just in case”.

No.

Can the customer not bear some responsibility here to know what he/she is ordering and read the nutrition label and make decsions?

Should an orange have a label warning customers that it isn’t a good source of protein?

Sadly, with the way our society has become… yeah. Oranges should carry warning labels. LOL

Well I know I plan on blending a bigmac, large fries and chocolate shake into a super drink. Its the same as soylent yeah?

Speaking purely as a selfish Canadian here. But if you put “experimental” on the box, it will never pass through customs!

Can’t I just sign a waiver to the effect of “If I start to feel wretched while on the product, I will eat an orange.”

Eve

Luckily Soylent is only recognized by the FDA as a supplement.

Although dietary supplement manufacturers must register their facilities with FDA,* they are not required to get FDA approval before producing or selling dietary supplements. Manufacturers and distributors must make sure that all claims and information on the product label and in other labeling are truthful and not misleading.

I think they my have covered their ass by saying:

Is it safe?
Yes. Everything in Soylent is GRAS (generally recognized as safe) by the FDA.

Speaking of oranges, If someone can get away with advocating “The Grapefruit Diet” I think Soylent should be safe.

I believe that the FDA considers Soylent a food, not a supplement.

Lets think for a moment about all of the horrible things our ancestors had to eat and then think about all the horrible things the average modern human eats and then think about soylent.

I believe @rob consumed Soylent and nothing but Soylent for more than a few months, as have some beta testers, with no negative side effects. Due to this, it is highly unlikely that there are essential vitamins and nutrients missing in Soylent.

However it may be found that the DRIs are off or vary more on an ethnic/disease/individual’s background, or there are optional vitamins/nutrients that, while being beneficial, aren’t necessary to our survival.

I think you’re right. But I remember at some point hearing that the FDA was treating it as a supplement even though Soylent was marketing it as food. Maybe that changed at some point.

Walk into a McDonald’s and smell their “hamburger”. Walk into a Wendy’s and smell their “hamburger”. Walk into a Burger King and smell their “hamburger”. None of them smell the same, but they claim it is 100% beef.
Wouldn’t 100% beef smell the same everywhere?
It would be ridiculous to put that kind of warning label like that on Soylent because it isn’t made with weird add-in crap that should not be in actual food.
And @antiman77 already alluded to the fact the these restaurant chains don’t include the real ingredients and they certainly aren’t about to start now. Just look at the last time someone showed what’s up with chicken nuggets [pink slime] - and then McDonald’s had to go into damage control and change how they are prepared because of so much backlash and declination of sales.
@Daiceman points out that McDonald’s don’t expect people to eat there everyday. Neither does Soylent claim that.
@CarltonLemley I agree with what you said it is so to the point of truth.

Ah well, enough of my ramblings.

Sure you can. You could have multiple people consuming it, in which case 28 days per 28 days only is half your diet or less.

if someone could take mcdonalds to court for spilling hot coffee on themselves because the cup didnt say “hey…this hot coffee you ordered if freaking hot so be careful dumbass”…then putting some warning on soylent aint the worst idea in the world.

Warning: You might feel a lot better than with your usual diet.

Warning: May contribute to increased ‘Vigor’

Maybe they could put one of those large black box warning with a picture of a really healthy person with a caption below “This is what could happen to you”

You may want to educate yourself about the specific case you are referring to before tossing it around as an example.

EDIT: Fairly good source

did the person take mcdonalds to court?

did it cost the mcdonalds folks money in legal fees+ dealing with it?

would it have saved them some headache, money and made legal defense easier to have had a warning label on the cup?

ok…maybe she went to court because of the temp not because of the label… but the point is still fairly well made…sorry for the innacuracy.

–jack of all trades…master of none—

know a little bit about alot but alot about very little :smile: