Sick 2 times in one year. Possibly soylent?

Over the past year I have gotten terribly sick twice, each time resulting in a fever of 103 or greater and each time the sickness was not able to be diagnosed by doctors. I was tested for influenza, strep, etc. I also received X-rays and still the doctors couldn’t find anything. Both times I also had severe digestion issues including severe acid reflux, constipation, abdomen pain, diarrhea, and inability to absorb water as I should. The weird thing about all of this is that these symptoms only occurred when I ate something OTHER than Soylent. The first time I got sick was in March and because the doctor couldn’t figure out what was going on they took a stool sample and found I had H. Pylori which is a bacteria that when in overabundance in the stomach basically causes some of the symptoms that I was experiencing and can lead to acid reflux, stomach ulcers, and stomach cancer. I was treated for H. Pylori and then I thought I was fine. However recently I fell ill again with almost the same symptoms and the doctors could not find out what was wrong with me once again. Simply because they know something is wrong but they don’t know what, I have an appointment with a stomach doctor to see if they can figure out what the real problem is. But this has happened twice now and hasn’t been able to be diagnosed and both of them were digestive tract problems I’m starting to wonder if I should be worried about consuming soylent. I consume 1600 calories of 2.0 a day and eat food only once a week. Ive lost over 50 pounds on soylent so far and 5 inches off of my waist but I’m starting to worry that this is making some serious impacts on my health. What do you guys think? Has anyone else had some undiagnosed digestive tract issues, fever, etc.?

Around 25% of the people in developed countries have this bacteria in their stomach: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helicobacter_pylori#Epidemiology

I would mention the Soylent consumption to your doctor however and look for his input.

If you’ve presented with h. pylori you should probably see a gastroenterologist. The first-line regimen is usually 14 days:

proton pump inhibitor b.i.d.
amoxicillin 1000 mg b.i.d.
clarithromycin 500 mg b.i.d.

Why haven’t they done a breath test for Helicobacter pylori? It’s the quickest and easiest way to identify an infection, and H pylori should be the first thing they consider since your symptoms are identical to the last time you were diagnosed with it.

I think that the reason your symptoms only occur when you eat solid food might simply be because it is solid. Solid food requires more acid and greater mechanical action in the stomach than a liquid diet such as Soylent would, so I’d certainly expect it to agitate such an infection much more. H pylori causes a lot of damage to the protective lining of the stomach, which it burrows into to escape from the stomach acid, so makes your stomach much more sensitive and vulnerable to the effects of its own acid. That’s just my theory, though. You should talk to your doctor about it.

As I understand it - one Primary Ingredient in Soylent is Maltodextrin. If your immune system already has an HPylori issue… Maltodextrin is HPylori fuel - it eats the starches and sugars in Soylent same as candy bars and bread…

As you get what ever treatment to decide on for HPylori - add some heavy probiotics to you daily routine, and probably some pre biotics - a Restistant Starch is probably the best, or any chewable fiber pill should give you enough prebiotic fiber.

If you really are serious, Add some mastic gum powder and nigella sativa to your diet for at least 6 months to keep the nasty stomach bugs at bay while your immune system adjusts, the bugs that were hit hard by the Antibiotics finnaly dye off, and your body heals.

Also be aware the stomach bugs are not just bacteria, also can be yeast - the H Pylori family plays well with the Candida family, and Candida Overgrowth can be caused by Antibiotics that kill off all the competing bacteria. And then you are feeding the Candida yeast Maltodextrin - which as a simple molecule - the yeast will love and multiply from.

Basic rule - lots of probiotics and pre biotics are important to prevent this stuff, and if you get sick; the doctors are inconsistent at best in how they treat and deal with overgrowth of symbiotic mirco organisms and difficult to detect and treat infections like H Pylori and Candida.

Like anything else in Medicine, it’s an incomplete science that does not well account for the fact the people are different; which is why treatment work 80% of the time, and often come back like in your case. If you want to feel beter, start talking to lots of doctors, do research, read up on the subject, see the millions of opinions and different facts out there, start experimenting, and figure out what makes you feel healthier. You have to own your own health; Doctor gets paid the same for every time you visit.

If you were treated for it once then I am staring to wonder why they did not check for it again when you returned with the same symptoms. Could it just be a possibility that your treatment did not kill off enough of it. Then with time it just returned to levels of overabundance.

I really do not think soylent caused the problem, but rather let the problem go undetected for so long because you were not eating solid foods. This masked danger could be one of the risks of being on a fully liquid diet of any type.

If a person wanted to avoid this type of bacteria problem from going unnoticed then it would not be a bad idea to just eat some solid foods once or twice a week with your routine. Allowing yourself to eat solid foods on occasion would also help maintain other body health…like teeth, chewing muscles, ect… It would also help reduce any negative emotions and feelings about going off your diet or regular routine. Think of the occasional meal as a special treat for yourself.

Can you provide an update to this post please? Feeling better? Still using Soylent 2.0?

Thanks