Simple carb vs. complex carbs

Is there a reason that I need to have simple, or faster absorbing carbs (currently have maltodextrin in my recipe) or can I have nothing but slower absorbing complex carbs? Info: I am not currently active in any way.

Slow carbs are a good way of avoiding that typical post meal crash.

I think Robs reason for both maltodextrin and oats, was to get the initial kick from maltodextrin and the keep it sustained with the slower absorbed carbs from the oats

Use search function you lazy …

@Geroellgeraet And exactly what topics did you come up with when you used the search function for this topic (as I’m certain you must have before you suggested that I use it, in order to see if there was information available)

I use the search function extensively before every post I make here. If I missed something, it’s not for lack of looking for it.

I don’t think there is any reason that they are necessary, no. A lot of people use maltodextrin because it stores easily, is really cheap when bought in bulk, won’t spoil if it takes you a long time to use it, dissolves well in water, and avoids the “need to cook flour” controversy and the potential extra work involved there. So while there are many reasons to use it, none of them are really health related. If you’re okay with the slower absorption time of other carb sources, there’s no real reason not to use them exclusively, as far as I can tell. (IANAL. Or a doctor, which is probably more relevant.)

The basic answer is that no, you don’t need ‘simple’ carbs at all, and in many ways you are better off without them.

No, your body has mechanisms built in to get energy to your cells as needed. Your saliva contains amylase which begins to breakdown complex carbs into sugars on contact for instance, thats why a cracker will start tasting sweet in your mouth after awhile.

Rather than nagging people about searching, could you post links to the topics that are related here?

And @spryte indicated she searched first.

I was just upset because this is really basic knowledge. It’s like asking what 2+2 is on a math board.
OF COURSE you can have only slow carbs, they are even better than fast carbs, but they have some disadvantages regarding the way they taste, mix, other micronutrients, price… Just read more on the forums.

I appreciate you going through the trouble to post those threads. I had read each of them and they did not answer the question that I had, which was whether or not anyone knew of a reason why simple carbs SHOULD be included in the formula (whether or not it was a dietary requirement, kind of like how both soluble and insoluble fiber are necessary). Not everyone who comes here knows what you know, and in my particular situation, I’m struggling with some cognitive handicaps at the moment so it’s not always easy for me to put 2 and 2 together. I’ve been reading this forum nonstop since I found out about soylent. It takes a great deal of mental energy and effort for me to read these threads, and do (and understand) the research necessary for my own recipe. If you feel that my questions are a waste of your time, please feel free not to answer them. Others were kind enough to provide the information I was seeking, and that was sufficient.

Spryte, I don’t believe there is a reason at all. You can choose to use one or the other. If you want you can use both of them at the same time.

When I started compiling my first formula, I was going to use Maltodextrin, but then I read somewhere about the high glycemic index it has and that it could be beneficial to mix together fast burning carbs with slow burning carbs, so I looked up other sources of carbs and found that I could use Waxy Maze Starch, that had a lower G.I.

After more investigation, I decided to go with a ketogenic version for my soylent (we spoke before on a keto thread) and since in the keto versión the carbs are so low, it really didn’t matter which source I used for carbs, so I went with the cheaper one.

I know Rob’s formula uses maltodextrin for quick energy and oat flour for slower, long-lasting energy, but what is the justification for the specific ratio of the two? How much of the carbohydrates should be fast and how much should be slow?