Simulating 1.4 texture & consistency

Hey guys, pardon my new account. I typically lurk here on the forums.

So me and my girlfriend are not favorable of the new 1.5 . We went on vacation and came back to find that we still have LOADS of 1.4 . Before we blow through these, I would like to find a solution to making 1.5 more like 1.4 . (Im ignoring the carageenan ingredient for now. Im not happy about this but thats a topic for another thread :P)

Difference in experience between 1.5 and 1.4:

• 1.5 Is very liquidy
  • 1.5 has a watery texture compared to the thick syrup of 1.4
  • 1.5 tastes funny. Even after all this time.
  • 1.5 is less filling
  • 1.5 spoils less (this is my only positive)

I think the main difference between the two MAY be the lack of oats/meal. I noticed this was a difference between 1.4 and 1.5 . Whether this would contribute to a more thicker soylent I am not sure. In terms of priority, I would really just be happy if I could thicken the soylent up like 1.4 .

Does anyone have any advice?

On a side note, does anyone know the development of 1.6? Are they removing carageenan and thickening it back up by chance? haha :sweat_smile:

1.5 still has oat flour (45 g per bag instead of 70 g, according to the spreadsheet).

You could try adding 25 g of oat flour to 1.5. I’m not that brave. :grin:

I don’t think the variable-thickness of 1.4 will make a return, but carrageenan may be removed. It looks like 2.0 contains gellan gum instead.

I’m probably being dumb (I haven’t tried Soylent yet), but could you add less water when mixing it?

You could try adding some slippery elm powder if you want a thicker, more “syrupy” consistency without affecting the nutrition profile too much.

If less water doesn’t work you could try psyllium, xanthan gum, etc to thicken it up

I used xanthan gum to thicken 1.3 and it worked very well.

How much did you use? I gather it’s very potent.

Thanks guys for the recommendations! I am overwhelmed with options. (Which is better than underwhelmed really :P)

I saw xanthan gum at the store today when I was looking for oat flour. I did not find the out flower but I opted for the peanut butter powder as well as a few other powders to experiment with.

Idk if I want to try the xanthan gum. I know very little about that chemical but I feel fairly safe adding in oat powder and peanut butter :stuck_out_tongue:

Ill let you know how each experiment goes :wink:

I mispoke–I was using it for 1.1, which was by far the thinnest Soylent to date. For that, 1/2 teaspoon per pitcher was plenty for me. What I’d do if I were you is start by adding 1/4 teaspoon per pitcher. Stir it into the dry Soylent before you mix it with the water. If that’s not enough, then try 1/2 teaspoon next time.