So is the Isomaltulose in Soylent from honey?

Edit: This has been answered by @Conor

:honeybee: :honeybee: :honeybee: :honeybee: :honeybee: FREE THE BEES :honeybee: :honeybee: :honeybee: :honeybee: :honeybee:

@Conor ?

My guess would be sugar beets but I don’t know.

I would guess as much, I’d be surprised of they weren’t aware that honey isn’t consodered vegan. I just wanted to have it clarified since the imagry and wording imply otherwise. :open_mouth:

Forgive me if I’m wrong but don’t bees naturally make honey anyway? Seems like taking it to the extreme to rule even that out. Is honey even bad for you?

Well sure, but I don’t think honey is generally harvested from wild bees.

To be honest you’re starting to sound like a proponent of bee slavery.

:honeybee: <------ Look at this little guy. Why do you want to cause him pain?

I just did a quick search. Looks like the vegan community is still debating over honey. If you personally don’t want to consume honey (if Soylent has it) that’s fine, but it isn’t “technically” not vegan. It’s not your personal strain of vegan.

Tis true, but my issue is more with lack of clarity than anything. There doesn’t seem to be any way for people who do want to avoid honey to know if it has it or if the site is just using honey as an example for what Isomaltulose is.

I believe that the issue is related to the rapid loss of bees we’re currently experiencing - as there’s some controversy over how healthy it is for beekeepers to use sugar water to substitute honey during harvest - so it’s usually a sustainability issue.

Some people debate over whether bees primitive nervous system makes them worth of moral consideration or not, but I haven’t found many that are that concerned about that portion of it…

Note that being vegan doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with being healthy, so that’s not really an issue.

“Veganism is a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as is possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose.”

I see. That makes sense. The only other natural source of isomaltulose I can find is sugar cane, which relies on human exploitation, arguably several times worse than animal exploitation.

Either synthetic iso or a different carb source would fix this. The iso might already be synethic. Hopefully a mod will weigh in.

I don’t really care one way or another since I am not vegan, but I know there are some people who do care, which is why I tagged @Conor He may be able to ask someone on their development team for us.

Ah excellent, much appreciated! :slight_smile:

It is produced enzymatically in an industrial process and is totally vegan.

Isomaltulose is naturally found in honey, however.

I figured as much, thanks for clarifying! :sunny:

You’re welcome! Sorry for the delayed response.