So many DIY Recipes... Which one should I choose?

Hey guys, I just read the bad news on the Rice Protein. I’m way to pumped up about Soylent to wait another month and a half, so I started looking at DIY Soylents. I really am a newb at nutrition, (Like, Eating Taco bell for every meal bad) so I need some help here!

I’m very quick to reply, so if you need me to answer some questions, I’ll do so ASAP!

Thanks guys!

What are you looking for, nutritionally?
How simple a recipe do you want?
Is cost a major issue?
Are there other dietary concerns?
What kind of cold storage and cooking utensils do you have access to/are comfortable using?

Also:
How much time are you willing to invest on a regular basis preparing your soylent?
How important is novelty/variety to your palate?

Bachelor chow is most popular, im in same boat as you too excited to wait yet again

Now THAT’S a good reply! I never thought about giving out those details, that are now painfully obvious.

1.) I want it to take care of all my nutrition (I have poor sense of taste anyway, I want to only consume this)
2.) I can’t think of any reason any recipe would be difficult to make? Aren’t they all just mixing powders with water?
3.) I’d like to keep it under $200 a month.
4.) I’m not allergic to anything, and no foodstuff has ever given me ill effects!
5.) I have a fridge, and as long as it doesn’t get crazy (A blender being the most advanced I can do) I should be fine.
6.) I don’t start my next class schedule until April, so I have plenty of time!
7.) If it isn’t absolutely disgusting, I’m amazing at shoveling down the same food every day. (Sometimes it’s good to have a poor sense of taste!)

Peoples Chow 3.01 (formerly Bachelor Chow) is the most favorite and one I currently consume. Its not bad and gets all of the nutrition covered.

The “Tortilla Perfection” one? Now, I have 1 question before I double down and buy this off Amazon.

1.) It has pills? Isn’t this a big No-No?
2.) How much do I need to order of each thing so I run out at a pretty close time of one another?

That being the case, something like the bachelor chow @antiman77 suggested would probably be a good fit, at least at the start. It’s decently cheap, and should cost around $160 - ish a month, including shipping.
You will need a scale to measure out the powder mixes. I find that making a weeks worth of powder at one go and storing it in a large container (like the ones you store flour in) works best (you can also easily mix the large batch at once). Then you just measure out the amount you need for the day/meal and add water.

The only downsides to the liquid soylents are the need to mix them on a daily basis and the resulting need for a refrigerator due to limited shelf life, both of which shouldn’t be a problem for you. I personally like my baked soylent, which can stay good for over a week. I use it as a base for all sorts of different flavors.

Good luck, and welcome!

What type of a scale? Any Suggestions?
Is there a comprehensive guide so I don’t kill myself? haha.

Thanks a lot man, I appreciate it!

Pills aren’t precisely a no-no - they are a useful but imperfect way of rounding out nutritional profiles. If you’re worried about vitamin absorption, you can always go with a vitamin powder or grind the pill into the mix.
In terms of ordering optimization (?!), the recipe page includes a column that’s labeled “container size.” This is the number of grams the listed product will provide. Dividing container size by the amount will give you total servings in the given container. Using a bit of math, you can figure out how much of each ingredient you need to order to run out of them all at about the same time.

Hint:some of the ingredients have a LARGE number of servings since you use so little of them compared to the container size (see: choline. msm, salt, etc.). Focus on equalizing the big items like protein powder and your carbs.

Okay! So far my plan is to buy 6 orders of Masa Harina and 2 orders of soybean oil along with the rest, which should give me 36 meals, or 36 full days worth of meals?

Thanks for the help again mate, I’m REALLY trying not to kill myself, so I appreciate the walkthrough

I would also put in a recommendation to check out:

Superfood

People Chow

Hacker School

…and of course I am partial to my own Hybrid recipe

I would also recommend looking though the notes on the above various recipes for tips on preparation and equipment as well.

http://diy.soylent.me/recipes/people-chow-301-tortilla-perfection

That’s the one; Max the creator is pretty active in his notes and comments and tweaks the recipe here and there.

1. No pills in this one; not a no-no that I am aware of though, many other recipes use Fish oil pills to get the omegas or a multi-vitamin. You won’t need it with Peoples Chow.
  2. You really can’t buy an ‘even’ amount to run out at the same time. The Choline Bitrate will last 250 days and the maseca will last 6 days. if you haven’t tried DIY, start with small packages of each and make sure you want to commit to the longer term. My first recipe was oat based and I have 40+ lbs of oat flour sitting in my pantry my wife is wondering what I will eventually do with. This also allows you to be flexible in trying new recipes, modifying or when the mood strikes Max to update yours quickly with minimal waste.

I usually make 4-5 days worth and divide each day into 500 kcal ziplock bag (about 124 grams including oil) for each meal. I have a stash at home for breakfast and some at work for lunch. Dinner is dependent on my wife and I eating out, cooking or I have my 5 second meal (soylent).

A meal consists of a 500 kcal ziplock dumped in a blender bottle, fill with water and drink immediately.

Tips:
I found I could even mix in the oil and it gets absorbed into the powders that I would still consider it dry and good for pantry storage.

Flavoring is usually 1/2 packet of stevia and dash of cinnamon. I have also found Tony Chachere (Cajun spice) to be good. or even stevia and cocoa powder. Try a squeeze of lime juice.

And just because I am wired this way I slightly modified his recipe to level the macros to 106% (carb, protein, fat) each. It makes no difference in taste that I can tell but makes my OCD feel better.

http://diy.soylent.me/recipes/people-chow-301a-leveled-macros

A standard kitchen scale should work fine for most applications. The amount of precision you need really depends on the recipe. Some call for 1/10th’s of a gram, but neither bachelor chow or peoples chow do. If you mix the powder in multi-day batches like I suggested, most scales will have sufficiently accurate whole gram measurements.

Other tips:

1. The tare function is your friend. Really.
  2. When measuring and mixing bulk batches on a scale, it helps to measure out the smaller ingredients first. That gives you the best accuracy for the things that need it. A little missing protein or flour won’t be a problem, but an extra couple grams of salt can spoil the flavor of a batch.
  3. IGNORE MSM. Any protein source you get will have the needed sulfur in the Amino Acids. Current consensus on the forums is that MSM is unnecessary and only serves to ruin the taste of the soylent.
  4. Don’t feel nailed down a recipe, feel free to add cinnamon, chocolate, or whatever else you want to.
  5. People have been quoting studies that suggest that chewing can be neurologically beneficial. If you’re going full liquid soylent, pick up some gum.

I would really start with 1 order of masa, you might find yourself wanting to try the oat flour based recipes.

I would recommend this scale, I’ve been using it a few weeks and find it much better than my old scale.

Oh… uhm, what’s the difference? Taste? Health?

I found this awesome video, and it makes me feel a lot more confident about making DIY.

With the different recipes, if they are complete they should be healthy, and yes they will each have a different flavor. Look through them to see if one sounds like it will fit your tastes better. I belive all of the recipes people have mentioned so far will also fit your budget.

Be sure to pick a recipe that shows all green in the nutrient section, you can even customize your daily needs to compare to each recipe, or choose a common profile that already exists.

Difference between oat and masa based? Taste is the biggest but some of the forum discusses oat has a lower GI (glycemic index). A good oat based recipe and good masa based recipe with have equivalent health (nutrient values).

When the official Soylent arrives, I’ll likely alternate days of diy and official just for variety.