Sociology project on Soylent: want to help me out by answering some questions?

Hi there! I’m a college student, and I chose to write a final research paper focusing on Soylent. If you’re willing to answer these questions, I would be incredibly grateful (and if you don’t want to answer them all, I’d still appreciate the ones you can!).

1. What made you decide to try Soylent?

2. Why did you choose Soylent over alternative types of meal supplements?

3. Have you gone longer than a week eating just Soylent? (if you meant to, but ate food accidentally, I still count this and would like to know!)

4. If you did, how long did you do it for, and what made you stop?

5. What, if any, health changes have you noticed because of Soylent? (e.g., do you feel more alert, has your weight changed, etc.)

6. Do you tell your friends, families, or coworkers about Soylent?

7. Do you feel socially isolated when you eat Soylent for meals?

8. Including this one, what online Soylent communities do you visit?

9. What do you use them for? (recipe ideas, to discuss taste changes, etc.)

10. Do you feel like you have power to direct or influence the product’s development?

11. Do you pay attention to the specific nutrient changes in formula for new versions?

12. Rob Rhinehart says he believes the future will have Soylent coming out of the tap. Do you believe this? Do you have any vision for how Soylent could be used in a larger context?

Thank you so much for your help! If you have any questions about this, don’t hesitate to ask. I’m just trying to get as much data about Soylent as possible. :slight_smile:

First, a question for you. Is sociology your major?

My dad has his masters in it and as a consequence I’ve always been drawn to the subject. If it is your major, that’s awesome! If it isn’t, well, it’s still awesome that you picked the class. Okay, now your questions.

1. Environmental concerns, ethical reasons (typical vegan arguments, though I wasn’t vegan or vegetarian at the time), efficient use of time/money/space/energy, and of course - health!
  2. Soylent is more balanced, lasts longer, has very minimal “fluff” ingredients, and doesn’t require complex measurement, preparation or consumption.
  3. Yes!
  4. My longest stretch on Soylent (100%) was 18 days. I finally snacked when I ran out. :frowning:
  5. I have gained over 15lbs since I began (which was my intention). I also experience improved focus and extremely stable energy. I also sleep less than usual (from 9-10 hours to 6-7 hours).
  6. I don’t discuss my diet willingly. If someone presses me, I will give the least information I can while still getting the idea across. I very much dislike talking about my diet, especially to coworkers.
  7. I didn’t eat my meals with anyone before, and I certainly don’t now. So, no, unchanged.
  8. I only come here. I’m unaware of any other communities geared towards Soylent and probably wouldn’t visit them anyways.
  9. Updates, supplements, DIY ideas, linked articles or studies, reference material etc. Not really interested in recipes or taste changes myself.
  10. The product is specifically marketed as an efficient and healthy meal replacement. I know little about efficiency (in terms of product design) or physiological/nutritional health, so I wouldn’t really want my amateur suggestions to influence the product. It might inadvertently become a detriment to someone else’s experience, if not my own.
  11. I pay attention, but I don’t research their chemistry or synergy to the degree that some others might. It’s also difficult when I don’t have information of the specific suppliers. For example, I know 1.4 uses potato and rice starch, but what kind?
  12. Timelines are important here but if we’re talking about strictly the next 50 years, I think Soylent has very attractive benefits to the developing world, the military, hospital/prison/school defaults (with the freedom to supplement with “real” food), off-grid communities, space exploration, physical training and medical research.

1. Something about the clear logic and simplicity of the idea.
  2. Soylent is not a supplement, so I don’t have to ponder what else goes with it.
  3. I’ve gone about four months on mostly Soylent. I have had more or less uncontrollable urges for other food, similar to compulsions I had before trying Soylent. But I always returned to Soylent in an hour or so.
  4. I intend to continue using primarily Soylent or the equivalent for the foreseeable future.
  5. I seem in very good health. I have been diagnosed with CHF and have diabetes, but I jog daily and have no signs of illness that I can detect except that I have a defibrillator implant and take a lot of pills.
  6. Yes, I tell my friends about Soylent.
  7. I am relatively isolated by choice, but not because of Soylent.
  8. This is the only Soylent forum I visit regularly.
  9. I use it to get up to date information about using Soylent and ideas about its use.
  10. Yes.
  11. Yes.
  12. It would be nice to have Soylent coming out of the tap, but I fear that contamination by pipes would be too much of a danger at present. I think that Soylent imitators will emerge and they jointly will have a big influence on food consumption.

1. Heard about it, thought it was a cool idea
  2. Price, availability, nutrition, intended audience
  3. No
  4. N/A
  5. I feel much better on the days I have it for lunch
  6. Friends/family
  7. A little, but not too bad
  8. This one, and occasionally I’ll stumble across the subreddit
  9. General discussion I guess
  10. A little bit, if everyone shares a similar opinion
  11. For the most part
  12. I think it will be more of muscle milk- level of availability

Ps. Why not link to a google forms or similar survey builder
That way, you can combine results from many communities.

[Note that I consumed Hacker School Soylent twice a day for over a year. I haven’t used commercial Soylent at all. I’ll provide answers and let you choose whether you want to include the soylent variants or not.]

1: A few reasons:

• I wanted to see if it made a difference in how I felt.
  • It seemed easier than preparing 3 meals a day.
  • It ensured I was getting all of the known necessary nutrients.
  • I like the idea of a “baseline” food.
  • I wanted to lose weight, and it made calorie counting easier.

2: For the community. The DIY site was helpful. I felt like I had control over what I was consuming and that I could contribute a bit back. Additionally, I was inspired by the idea of Soylent.

3: Yep, I ate Hacker School Soylent roughly twice a day (breakfast and lunch) for an entire year. Some days less (workgroup lunches, etc.) Some days more (eating dinner alone.)

4: I stopped as my weight started creeping upward. That happened because of a good, but highly stressful situation in my life. So I was now having two servings of HSS and dinner and stress/tired eating. I’ve now switched to eating Low Carb (Atkins 20.) I am considering starting on one of the Keto soylent variants.

5: I didn’t notice any “miracle” changes. My weight decreased for a while when I started exercising more regularly. Then it went back up as I stress increased.

6: Nope.

7: Nope. My plan always allowed for social meals with coworkers and friends and family. I always ate a regular-food dinner, so that covered most events, and I would happily join coworkers for lunch every few weeks.

8: Only this one.

9: Recipe ideas. To hear other experiences. For a while it was to see when shipping on regular Soylent caught up in order to buy some, but now that I’m eating low carb, I explore the Keto soylent variants that I see online.

10: Not by a significant amount.

11: Yes. I continue to be very interested in what official Soylent is comprised of.

12: Not the tap, no. In the near-term, I could see it available like protein powders are today. Perhaps, in the mid-term, in vending machines in place of other snacks/sodas. But, I do like the idea of a “baseline” meal. My breakfasts and lunches on workdays are pretty consistent–so I don’t worry too much about food boredom. Making certain that I get everything that I need and am not hungry is more important to me.

What made you decide to try Soylent?
I was looking for something simultaneously very healthy, convenient, and cheap.

Why did you choose Soylent over alternative types of meal supplements?
The “completedness” of the formula, mostly.

Have you gone longer than a week eating just Soylent? If you did, how long did you do it for, and what made you stop?
Yes, 20 days. Experimental, to see how it affected me.

What, if any, health changes have you noticed because of Soylent?
I feel exactly the same as before Soylent. I have found it makes it easy to maintain and/or alter my weight, which is a huge plus for me.

Do you tell your friends, families, or coworkers about Soylent?
Yes, mostly in an off-handed way; I’d hate to be at all “preachy” about it.

Do you feel socially isolated when you eat Soylent for meals?
Not at all.

Including this one, what online Soylent communities do you visit?
None.

Do you feel like you have power to direct or influence the product’s development?
A little bit, yes.

Do you pay attention to the specific nutrient changes in formula for new versions?
Yes.

Rob Rhinehart says he believes the future will have Soylent coming out of the tap. Do you believe this? Do you have any vision for how Soylent could be used in a larger context?
Believe it literally? No. But I believe he means that as more of a metaphor, in that it will eventually become as common and cheap as tap water. Which is exactly what I hope for.

As a footnote: I use Soylent 100% on work days (Monday thru Thursday) and eat whatever the heck I feel like on weekends (Fri-Sat-Sun).

1.Saw it on television. I’m always interested in food.
Usualy I have less time for a healthy lunch at work. This was what make me fat over the last few years. And Soylent gives me the nutrients I need with the amount of calories I want.
2.Soylent was the first I tried, but now I’m searching for an European alternative.
3.Yes.
4.Weekends with friends often made me eat mugglefood.
5.Loose weight, clearer skin, better/longer sleep, more focus, better concentration.
6.Of course. They were interested but don’t want to try it. But they see the transformation of my body.
7.No. Because I’m the center of the world. I don’t care about other people. :relaxed:
8.Only this one.
9.Knowledgetransfer.
10./
11.I only know this version.
12.Soylent will give fat people like me from time to time the possibility to eat whatever we want without remorse.

1. I find it interesting, I have Crohns and the less volume of food I eat the better I feel so I was curious to try it, and I am currently watching my calories very closely and it’s easy to track.

2. I have also been known to drink slim fast shakes, and DIY soylent but I bought the official because I was curious how it compared

3. No, I’ve only gone a whole day 1 time… I typically like to replace one meal a day with meal shakes. I enjoy cooking, just not all the time. It good for that meal you would have eaten fast food for. Easy excuse not to buy garbage food.

4. n/a

5. I’ve lost 25 pounds in 6 weeks but like I said I’m counting cal’s and part of my desire for soylent was how easy it is to measure and track. I definitely feel good on days I eat it, in the sense that a big mac meal or something would often exacerbate my stomach issues, and a glass of soylent does not leave me feeling bloated or uncomfortable in any way.

6. Sometimes. I do think meal replacement shakes are an interesting concept and I hope they really take off.

7. No since I am not 100%er, while drinking only some meals leaves it easy to count remaining calories (and have plenty to spend on meals out with friends if I want to since a serving is only 500 cal)

8. The reddit group once in a while

9. Just looking for anything interesting. Curiosity

10. no

Cost, time saver, appealed to my "try out new tech" side

Soylent was the first one that I heard about that really made sense.  Timing was good.  I read the first few articles and was like "I need that".  Social media certainly helped with the initial marketing.

Have you gone longer than a week eating just Soylent? (if you meant to, but ate food accidentally, I still count this and would like to know!)

No

If you did, how long did you do it for, and what made you stop?

What, if any, health changes have you noticed because of Soylent? (e.g., do you feel more alert, has your weight changed, etc.)

No major changes.  It might have increased the amount of oil my face produces but I haven't tested it out long enough to determine if that is from Soylent or not.  

A few of them.  I try to not come off as a pretentious "save the planet", "look at me trying new things", "look how productive I am", overly optimistic type.  But I tell the ones that I feel would be interested to know about it.  My girlfriend thinks it's kind of silly.

No.  In fact it helps me stay focused at work when others want to go grab a meal.  If I know I have Soylent in the fridge ready to go I am less likely to burn an hour getting food and chatting.

r/soylent on reddit

What do you use them for? (recipe ideas, to discuss taste changes, etc.)

To get a broader read on the rest of the community.  Also, I think if Soylent is going to cause major problems long term it will show up in the forums; I'd like to know sooner rather than later if it is going to be a problem.

Do you feel like you have power to direct or influence the product’s development?

Not really.  But I also feel they made a product that is pretty much something that I like as is.

Do you pay attention to the specific nutrient changes in formula for new versions?

Yes.  But I've only been on 1.4.

Rob Rhinehart says he believes the future will have Soylent coming out of the tap. Do you believe this? Do you have any vision for how Soylent could be used in a larger context?

Like the Matrix?  Maybe in places where food taste isn't a big part of the experience and efficiency is important (Military boot-camp, intense athletic preparation, Y-Combinator type experiences).  But I don't believe that to be true for the general society.  Most people are perfectly happy to indulge in extremely flavorful, in-efficient, and unhealthy food options.  The option of Soylent isn't likely to change that; at least not in a pseudo free market based society.

I wanted a means to effectively track my calorie intake while getting proper nutrition.
The money saving side didn’t hurt either.

It offered a complete nutrition solution where most typical mean supplements do not.

Have you gone longer than a week eating just Soylent? (if you meant to, but ate food accidentally, I still count this and would like to know!)
4 weeks so far.

What, if any, health changes have you noticed because of Soylent? (e.g., do you feel more alert, has your weight changed, etc.)
I’ve gone from 186-188 lbs to 176 lbs so far, but I’m not sure if that’s water weight or lack of denser food in my digestive system being gone? I’ve also noticed I have more energy in the morning as it seems easier to get up and go than before.

I don’t really unless it comes up in conversation like if I’m invited to lunch or offered some food. I kindly turn them down or accept the offer to accompany them but let them know I won’t be eating and explain I’m on a particular diet. If they ask further then I’ll tell them. Everyone’s been understanding. Though I’ve changed my eating habits several times in the past 6 years to be more healthy going from eliminating sodas to eating only meat and vegetables, so I think they’re used to it by now.

Not at all. I’m still able to join people on meals and converse. I’m just not eating with them.

Just this. I’m not into it for the community.

To see others’ experiences with it. So I can compare and contrast with my own experiences using Soylent for fitness and weight loss.

Never gave it thought. We always have the power as consumers, but never considered beyond that.

I do.

It is a great dream and a lofty goal but I don’t see it happening any time soon. We don’t live in a world that supports progress. We live in a world that supports profit. It would have to be more profitable to install and maintain soylent taps side by side with water than it would to have other avenues such as traditional food cultivation. The insane layers of money changing hands over different food industries is enormous involving everybody from clerk at a grocery store to the WTO and, well, it’s a cut throat business with food lobbyists being some of the most powerful and influential people. Just sugar industry lobbyists alone are incredibly powerful. Then Monsanto and… Unless Soylent can become that big of a product with that much legal and financial strength such a dream to put Soylent on tap would be just that: a pipe dream. But I support the sentiment.

1. Read an article about Soylent in the New Yorker. Since I’m extremely lazy and don’t like to shop/cook/wash up or otherwise deal with food, and am a smoker and not very worried about taste, it seemed like an intriguing option.

2. Less commercial, more hippie (or rather hipster). Mostly I like the idea that a non-nutritionist can read through the literature, conclude that nutritionists are mostly a bunch of know-nothing idiots, and decide to strike out on his own. Soylent claims to cut through the bullshit, isolate only actually valid and testable findings on nutrition, and come up with the cheapest/most healthy way to deliver adequate/optimal nutrition. I find that refreshing.

3. I have been on about 85% Soylent for about a month and a half now. Always have Soylent for breakfast and lunch, usually for dinner. Sometimes supplement with fish, salami, or some other protein in the evenings. My body seems to crave the protein. This is particularly true now that I’m drinking Soylent 1.4, which has only 75% or so of the protein of 1.3.

4. Haven’t stopped.

5. I tend to feel sleepy after eating Soylent. More than with regular food. I have actually gained about 5 lbs over 1.5 months on Soylent/supplemental protein.

6. Incessantly. I like to be considered an oddball, and what could be odder than Soylent? Also, I honestly think my wife would probably lose weight on it, and it would probably be a healthier diet for a diabetic friend who doesn’t eat well or carefully.

7. No. I generally eat lunch at my desk, and my wife and I usually don’t eat meals together.

8. Just this one.

9. General curiosity. I’d like to see if any diabetics are using Soylent, and how it works. Also wanting to see if there are reports of adverse effects over time, to compare to my own experience.

10. Not really. I’ve weighed in (I think 1.4 is a step backward from 1.3, for instance), but I’m not confident Rob or Rosa labs looks very closely at the threads.

11. Yes. It’s why I’m a bit concerned about the steep drop in protein and fiber from 1.3 to 1.4. If one needs to make big changes like this to something that was supposed to be nutritionally complete before, what were they doing wrong before? Do they really know what they’re doing at all?

12. No. That’s goofy.The tap part, that is. As to the future, well obviously, if people continue to have good health outcomes over time with Soylent, and no serious problems or side effects crop up, it has great promise as a food with a drastically lower carbon footprint and water consumption than an average meat-eater’s diet. I am/would be quite surprised if various militaries weren’t interested in Soylent as a cheaper and more efficient food than MREs. Same with outdoorsy folks, space explorers, etc. Health-wise, it’s vegan, for pity’s sake, and basically gluten-free.

1. What made you decide to try Soylent?
One, since I was a child, I loved the idea of a pill or something like tasty wheat from the Matrix that could just provide all of my dietary needs. I’ve always been repulsed by the idea that I or anyone should have to dedicate so much time, money and energy supporting their own existence. I’ve always wanted to live in a Star Trek future where food is as easy as a telling the replicator what to make, or easier, and where food and good health is a right, and not something people have to fight for or struggle for in any way for. It’s just a given, like air or water. You need it. End of story. There’s nothing that should impede that process. It should be a completely convenient and accessible thing, and it’s not. Soylent fits kind of perfectly into this ideological dream of mine about how I wish society could be, and it makes me feel like I can live a little bit of that dream in my lifetime.

Two, I’m autistic. I can’t eat gluten and I have huge issues surrounding food. Just about everything about the process of obtaining and preparing food takes me an extra long time and can be a recipe for a meltdown for me. When I get sucked into my interests, which is all of the time, food is inconvenient, and I often turn to not eating at all or unhealthy/expensive options. So, soylent makes living with autism easier. It makes my life easier.

Three, I just hate cooking and I hate grocery shopping. I find everything to do with the whole making/buying/eating food process to be a huge chore. None of this is to say that I don’t love eating traditional food. I do. Just, when you have to dedicate so much into it, it’s not an enjoyable process.

2. Why did you choose Soylent over alternative types of meal supplements?
I didn’t really consider other options. I haven’t found anything that really compares to Soylent or knocks it out of the water. I also trust Rob Rhinehart a lot to know what he’s doing and he actually seems to care about his customers. I would probably still support Soylent even if something else came along because Rob seems ideologically and logically similar to myself and supporting and finding people like that means a lot to me.

3. Have you gone longer than a week eating just Soylent? (if you meant to, but ate food accidentally, I still count this and would like to know!)
Not quite. I eat some normal food in the evenings.

5. What, if any, health changes have you noticed because of Soylent? (e.g., do you feel more alert, has your weight changed, etc.)
My IBS-C is relieved. Instead of having a bowel movement once a week, I go once daily in the moring. My stool is abnormally stinky. My acid reflux isn’t as bad. I feel metally out of it. I notice I don’t seem to be thinking as well, like in the last week, I’ve nearly gotten into a number of accidents while driving, and this almost never happens. I’m a little nauseaus from time to time. A lot of this could be part of the transition period (two weeks on mostly soylent), could be from lack of sleep, etc. We’ll see.

6. Do you tell your friends, families, or coworkers about Soylent?
I tell my friends. They seem mostly interested in trying it for themselves. At the very least, they find the idea interesting, but not for them.

7. Do you feel socially isolated when you eat Soylent for meals?
No, because I have no social group from which to feel isolated from. No one that I know would judge me, and I still allow myself normal food and going out.

8. Including this one, what online Soylent communities do you visit?
None.

10. Do you feel like you have power to direct or influence the product’s development?
Yes, there’s a great community here, and I feel that Rob and the company really care about consumer health and opinions.

11. Do you pay attention to the specific nutrient changes in formula for new versions?
Not really, since Soylent 1.4 is my first time on Soylent.

12. Rob Rhinehart says he believes the future will have Soylent coming out of the tap. Do you believe this? Do you have any vision for how Soylent could be used in a larger context?
Yes, I believe that, but in a more general sense. I’m not sure if Soylent will specifically be on tap, but I do believe that, in the future, healthy food will be completely accessible and free to everyone. I would love to see everyone having access to Soylent or something like it.

1. Despite wanting to move out of my parents’ house for years I never learned how to cook. If I could live on Soylent I wouldn’t need to.
  2. Other meal supplements didn’t seem as nutritionally complete as Soylent.
  3. No, I find it’s not filling enough. I often crave solid food.
  4. I haven’t noticed anything major.
  5. Yes, I’ve told my friends & family about Soylent. Friends didn’t care, family was confused. I sometimes tell my coworkers I live on “a glorified protein-shake” if the subject comes up.
  6. Nope. The few times I do eat with others I usually eat normal food.
  7. Just this.
  8. Recipe ideas in hopes to improve taste. User feedback.
  9. Hardly.
  10. Sometimes.
  11. I remember him once saying that in the future he thinks we’ll be able to make our own Soylent at home. This makes more sense to me than it being “on tap”. I’m a dreamer & an idealist, so I imagine that some day we’ll be able to 3D-print things at home atom-by-atom, including food. I think the ultimate future of Soylent will be replaced by food with the taste, texture & appearance of nearly anything & nutrition custom-tailored to the consumer. But that might be a bit farther into the future than Rob had in mind.

1. I discovered Soylent by reading about it in New Yorker. I did not purchase it right away.
  2. I did know of any genuine foods on the market that contained what Soylent contains.
  3. I have not gone longer than a week
    5 skin is moister. My stomach feels content . Defecattion is more consistent.
    6 Yes
  4. No but I live alone
  5. Soylent discourse on weight loss, taste and other subjects
  6. I thinjk that responses and discourses can have an impact on the product
  7. yes
  8. Soylent can be transported and made presste easily which may aid getting food to the huingry.

I’ve never had a very healthy diet and for a lot of meals I feel like preparing and eating food is more of a chore than something I look forward to. I’m not interested in completely replacing all food with a liquid alternative like Soylent but there are plenty of times when I’m eating cereal or a sandwich or a bag of chips and I’d rather have something simple that is better nutritionally. Nutrition is complicated and I doubt that Soylent is the perfect set of nutrients but as far as I can tell it’s a lot better than most of what I was eating before.

Soylent is the only major one that is designed for what I want it for, something that is supposed to be just as good as a normal meal in terms of nutrition. Also in terms of comparing the actual ingredients, it’s nice that Soylent uses better ingredient choices and has less flavoring and sweeteners.

No, I’m not intending to replace all of my meals with Soylent. It’s mainly a breakfast/lunch/snack replacement.

N/A

I don’t really feel any different which I guess is the point. I feel like I eat less objectively unhealthy stuff now because previously I would snack a lot based on just being hungry whereas now I tend to just stick with Soylent when I’m not having a full meal.

I told some of them when I started using it but I don’t bring it up a lot.

I pretty much only use Soylent for meals at home, which are not usually social meals anyway. The more social set of meals are the ones that I’m not replacing to begin with.

I’ve read a lot of stuff on this forum and some on the Reddit one.

I look up stuff when I have questions or want to know more about something. They were helpful for ideas on flavoring, I was not a big fan of the normal Soylent taste when I first tried it.

I feel like in aggregate the customers are a force in directing product choices.

Yes I’m very interested in the nutritional makeup of Soylent and have tried to read a lot about the various components.

[quote=“shamoople, post:1, topic:20944”]Rob Rhinehart says he believes the future will have Soylent coming out of the tap. Do you believe this? Do you have any vision for how Soylent could be used in a larger context?
[/quote]

That specific example is pretty silly, people used to get milk delivered to their home every day and when technology improved it changed into something you bought at a store and put in your fridge rather than something that gets pumped into your house by a series of tubes. I think a more reasonable near-future level of popularity would be something like vegan food, with a core set of people who are very into it and it being fairly common in places like grocery stores and restaurants but not on the verge of putting McDonald’s out of business any time soon.

1. The main thing that attracted me to Soylent is the idea that I could
    know exactly what I’m getting nutritionally, and that (in theory, at
    least) I could get everything I actually need from one cheap and
    easy source.
  2. It seems to be the most complete, nutritionally.
  3. I don’t remember going longer than a week, but it could have happened. I generally eat regular food on weekends, because I have my daughter with me. With v1.4 I find it hard to go more than 3 days on just Soylent, but with v1.3 I felt like I could have given up food entirely if my circumstances were different.
  4. Cravings or social events are generally what interrupts my Soylent use.
  5. I haven’t noticed any significant changes.
  6. If they ask. I’m not a salesman.
  7. No.
  8. Just this one.
  9. I’m interested in the discussions about nutrition.
  10. I feel like they would listen if I had a complaint, but I haven’t tested that.
  11. I like to keep generally aware, but I don’t pay as close attention as some.
  12. It seems unlikely, at least in the US.

1. I started Soylent for medical reasons. I am 3 weeks away from having a jaw surgery that will leave me wired shut for 2 weeks and unable to eat for another 4-6 weeks after that. Finding an actual liquid meal has been a godsend and am forever thankful for it!
  2. First one I found and went with it. No reason to look further in my opinion.
  3. Not yet but that time is inevitable in a few weeks. While others may have “cheat meals”, if I stray from Soylent it will be for a kale/fruit/yogurt smoothie or blended soup! The simplicity of Soylent will definitely make it my mainstay.
  4. n/a
  5. I am just now getting my body accustomed, around one meal a day so no changes yet.
  6. I have shared it with some…I was rather excited to stumble upon it and everyone that I am close to is aware of my upcoming surgery so when they ask about that, Soylent usually comes up.
  7. No. While I started it out of necessity, I will continue this after my required time is done. I am a night hospital pharmacist and there are no food options in house and very few delivery options in the middle of the night so my dinner at work consists of frozen dinners unless I have leftovers. Having Soylent is much easier and healthier at the same time than any of my other options.
  8. None
  9. Mostly recipes at this point since I am new to the product. Without the option not to be dependent on it, variety in taste is important to me right now.
  10. I feel like the product developers listen to the input the community gives and take it all into consideration.
  11. Nutrients - yes, changes - no. This is my first version.
  12. Tap is silly, they have a long way to go on stability if that were actually serious. The mission statement to provide nutrients to those that cannot afford food is admirable…more power to them!

1. I used to always wonder why there wasn’t a “dog food” for people. It seemed unfair that we had complete nutrition for our pets but nothing available for me! When Soylent came around, it was like an answer to my prayers.
  2. it was the first one I saw that was meant to replace food, not just supplement (like Ensure or Slim Fast). It was exactly what I wanted - a complete, balanced meal I could live off of for forever with no thought about how much of which food to eat and when.
    3-4. No - never was really tempted to try. I mean, I’ve gone for much longer than that without a full meal of something not Soylent, but I like snacks. I have a serious snacking addiction and Soylent helps me cut down by giving me less excuses to stuff my gob, but I usually have to have at least one snack a day to satisfy the inner beast.
    5 Not really. I feel better than when I eat a bunch of junk food, but the same is true for when I would eat super healthy. However, this is MUCH easier (and cheaper) than eating only fresh produce and meats.
  3. Ha! I never STOP talking about Soylent :slight_smile: I recently got a new job and for the first time, people at work knew what Soylent was! It was really exciting because I didn’t have to explain it. But I don’t mind explaining it - I love to preach the word!
  4. Not at all. If people are eating other stuff in the kitchen when I go to swig some Soylent, I can still hang out and chat while they eat.
    8-9. Just the Soylent discourse. I mostly like looking for updates and getting an idea of where the formula is headed.
  5. I think there was more power in the beginning because the community was smaller - fewer voices mean each one is heard a bit more. But I definitely think that they pay attention to the Soylent discourse threads and they seem genuinely interested in adapting Soylent to suite the needs of their consumers. So, if you’re willing to communicate with them, I think they’ll listen. However, they can individualize it either - it’s got to work for the majority, at least right now.
  6. I do, mostly to see what to expect. I generally trust that the people at Soylent know more about nutrition than I do, but that’s also why I like the discourses. If someone knows something I don’t, they’re likely to share it here. Also, I just get kind of excited when they tweak the formula because it means they’re growing and learning and that’s cool.
  7. I don’t know about a tap - mostly because Soylent just doesn’t keep that long once it’s mixed! But I think it has major implications for world-wide health and hunger. That’s what I always wanted “people food” for and I think Rob found a way to deliver. I’m proud to have been one of the original backers because when this stuff saves the world, I get to say I helped :slight_smile:

edit: the numbers changed from what I put in and I don’t know how to fix it! sorry…

Cheap, easy and fast. Also I am OCD and lazy.

I am able to customize this to whatever I need it to be. I am able to fit it into my daily life and it is cheap.

I’ve gone 97 days as my longest stint without eating anything but Soylent.

I’ve gone 97 days as my longest stint without eating anything but Soylent.

Constant energy, I don’t have the peaks and valleys that I used to.

All the time, they think that I’m going to die, but I still tell them.

Nope, because if I need a social meal, I will go out and have one.

This is the only one. I didn’t know there were others.

Insomnia :stuck_out_tongue:

Probably not, this is why I have been using my own recipe for all of these years.

Nope, but I probably should.

They are lofty goals, and while it would be cool to meet those goals, I some how doubt it will happen in my lifetime.

I’ve been curious about your project shamoople! How’s it going or how did it go? I hope you update us!