Soilent Environmental Impact?

Ok, I see a lot of points raised about benefits to the body, and solving world hunger, etc etc.
What about the environment impact? How does the production of this product impact globally? I can’t imagine shipping being a major problem as it’s in powder form.

I’ve literally seen not one question on the boards regarding this, which is a little worrying. What are your ingredients sourced from? Are these sources sustainable? If they’re sourced from TWCs, are they Fairtrade?

Connagh

It is still early but the eventual goal is to produce healthy food without depending on agriculture at all. This could have a significant impact on the environment.

Some ingredients are still extracted from traditional foodstuffs but many are not. The ones that are come from corn, coconuts, and rice, which are pretty widespread and sustainable.

This is silly. Stuff doesn’t materialize from the air, it needs to be extracted. Either you do it from plants and animals or you do it from mines, but one thing is certain: you will impact the environment.

The one thing Soylent can positively impact the environment with I think is less transport, refrigeration and waste.
Refrigeration is obvious, less transport comes from Soylent having less weight and volume than our “traditional” diets, and less waste: Since Soylent doesn’t perish too quickly, less needs to be thrown away, thus less needs to be produced (production damagin the environment).

Soylent, being vegetarian if not vegan, is quite a bit more sustainable that just about any diet including animal protein/meat. How sustainable it is beyond that depends greatly on the ingredients selected.

I’d really like to see the embodied energy of Soylent - that is; how much energy goes into it from cradle to grave, the extraction of the mineral, the refining, the packaging, transportation etc. for all ingredients. This is probably the most effective way to measure how ‘environmentally sound’ it is. We’d need to look at specific sources and whether they are in war zones or fair trade etc. it’s complex, but would be really good to quantify. It is a concern of mine.

I acknowledge that there are instant environmental benefits (such as transportation and refrigeration), but these will only really pay off if Soylent becomes wide spread. Until then we are potentially increasing the load…

I’ll say it again: anyone who is going from consuming meat to consuming Soylent will be reducing their environmental impact.

Not at all? How is that even remotely possible? carbs, protein, fat - where are those going to come from if not from agriculture?

The only way that seems possible is if you genetically engineer bacteria to produce glucose, protein and fat http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetically_modified_bacteria, but that would take hundreds of millions of dollars to start (im guessing), and it is arguably still agriculture.

Google pronutria and visit their website.

Wow, that’s amazing stuff. I wonder if they have actually done it, or if it is just a theory. Sunlight directly into nutrients, that’s about as optimal as you can get.

Although, I wonder about how they have all this utopian imagery on their site. Would it really be a utopia to give Africa unlimited food? That would just cause overcrowding and disease and more wars.

It’s wealth/education that drives fertility and population growth rates, not availability of food. I don’t think there’s any particular concern about feeding Africa causing a population boom.