Solyent benefits from inclusion of good things or exclusion of bad things?

Was thinking about this last night - Rob noticed positive changes in his body (improved skin/hair, fitness, etc) after consuming Soylent exclusively. I wonder if these changes are instigated by the inclusion of 100%dv vitamins/nutrients, or the exclusion of the unhealthy and unnecessary? He mentioned that his diet prior to Soylent was typically burritos and junk food; maybe the positive change should be attributed to the exclusion of bad/excess (ie saturated fats) rather than the inclusion of 100%dv nutrients?

As middle ground between traditional eating habits and Soylent, I’m curious about a supplement that includes the vitamins and nutrients that aren’t regularly consumed in a traditional diet, without the carbs/fats/proteins that are included in Soylent. I want to know if this “middle ground” would have the same positive benefits that Rob has experienced, or if one needs to go all the way to reap the benefits. Any thoughts or experimenters?

(Actually looking into building this supplement, which needs a name, with a friend.)

You may find what I wrote about potassium interesting here: http://discourse.soylent.me/discourse/t/how-is-soylent-different-from-a-meal-supplement/58/3 Essentially the reason why it isn’t in a multivitamin pill (I think).

I suspect it’s a lot of both, actually.

An issue with your middle ground idea is that there’s no “traditional diet” – people’s eating habits are all over the map, from person to person, and from day to day. If my average amount of potassium is 2 g, supplementing ~2.5 g more sounds great in theory, but what happens on a day when I randomly eat a whole bag of apricots, a bowl of guacamole, some bananas, and end up with 7 g just from food? And then the day when I randomly only get 500 mg from food?

No, it’s not the end of the world, but the point of soylent is to take the guesswork and unpredictability out of your diet.

Personally, the middle ground strategy I’m most attracted to is thinking of soylent as a “default” meal, and eating food or drinking soylent as the mood strikes me. When I’m eating food, the Pollanite approach applies. I’d really rather not get into tracking my intake of 35 nutrients from food though.