Sources for Potassium

No not yet. Still have about 7 weeks of potassium gluconate supply left and found out that I’m quite OK with the taste. I have been warned about Potassium Nitrate that the taste is VERY salty, which is kind of a no go for me.

I have contacted some bulk suppliers of potassium gluconate and you can get 20kg for about €25… That’s 2 years’ worth but it’s less then what I paid for a two month supply.

If you take Potassium Gluconate as a source, it’s 16.69 mass% Potassium. Is the rest to be considered Glucose?

Where are Europeans buying cheap Potassium Gluconate?

Edit: Man, I can’t find it anywhere. Cheapest option so far is €17.84 plus €12.00 shipping. That seems steep :x

Edit: This isn’t too bad, actually! Shipped from the US, but estimated to only take 2 to 4 days. http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Potassium-Gluconate-100-Pure-Powder-1-lb-454-g/13939

€15 including shipping, less if you order more at once.

Nitrates in foods are generally not a good idea. It is true that some meals include nitrates but they are only allowed there for historical reasons. In a normal food environment nitrates are easily converted to nitrosamines which can cause all kinds of cancer.
i.e: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2786176/?tool=pubmed

If you search for nitrosamines and cancer you will find many other articles…

Please help find a good source in Europe. So far found only Sopa-K, which is a potassium gluconate SYRUP, and is cherry brandy flavored. Will attempt using it in the next two days, expect it to taste like death though…

Didn’t found anything better and/or cheaper in europe, seems us is the only solution.

This one is slightly cheaper than either option above:
http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Potassium-Gluconate-100-Pure-Powder-1-lb-454-g/13939

Don’t order too much at once, since you might have to pay import duty then. Mine went through without stopping when I ordered 2 pots.

EU or NA suppliers? Sounds great!

Perhaps there will be more insight here, where everyone is seeking Potassium:
Can someone assure me, preferably with some source, if all of these chemicals (all certified for food use)
Monopotassium phosphate (KH2PO4)
Dipotassium phosphate (K2HPO4)
Tripotassium phosphate (K3PO4)
are sure to supply both their entire molar fraction of Phosphorus and Potassium when neither are in excess from other sources.
Or am I just being exceptionally stupid, and all of these salts fully dissociate into ions in the stomach and give the same result and by the same principles as having sodium phosphate and potassium gluconate (minus the sodium and the sugar acid)

These compounds are salts of phosphoric acid, only differing in the number of H+ ions replaced with K+ ions. When in dilution the different phosphate anions (H2PO4-, HPO4-2, PO4-3) transmutes between each other in function of pH, so they are roughly equivalent.

Potassium absorbability is as good as for any other source of K+ ions, like KCl. So no problem here.
Acording to this source the bioavailability of phosphates is high.

Inorganic phosphate is readily absorbable.

Sadly things aren’t as simple. An ionic compound dissociates only partially, the degree of it depends on its chemical nature and the composition of the disolution. Strong acids, bases, and their salts dissociate more that weaker ones. Acids dissociate more in an alkaly disolution than in an acid one.

The phosphoric acid is weak, so potassium phosphates dissociate weakly when in disolution. This is not a problem because as the ions are absorbed, more compound is dissociated to mantain equilibrium.

And that idea is indeed very clever. In theory a disolution of potassium bicarbonate and citric acid (needed to transform the bicarbonate ion into H2O and CO2) should be chemicaly equivalent to a disolution of potassium citrate. By the same logic, disolutions of potassium citrate and sodium cloride should be equivalent to disolutions of sodium bicarbonate, citric acid and potassium cloride. This may open avenues to reduce cost, albeit not by a significant margin. Other acids can be used in place of citric acid, like acetyc acid (present in vinager), lactic acid, or even gluconic acid to mimic the taste of potassium gluconate. Cost wise the best option is to use an ingredient with an acidic nature that is already in the recipe.

If only we could find an easy and simple way to synthesize gluconic acid from glucose…

My interest in Phosphates of Potassium lies in the preservative properties they have, preventing microorganisms attacking the fully diluted Soylent, as well as their absolute safety.

There was a lot of great info shared in this old thread. I’m curious, what potassium source have folks been using regularly since then? Any recommendations?

Hey, what about “cream of tartar” (potassium bitartrate)?
Seems to have the highest potassium/carbohydrate ratio available:
http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-000122000000005000000-w.html

Has about 1/6 potassium (1g for 6g of bitratrate):
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/baked-products/5128/2

Price is around 25-35 eur / kg.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sop=2&_nkw=cream+tartar&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1

Is it healthy / easily assimilated ?

Calci k , youll have to tweak your recipe but it knocked out calcium and phosphorous.

A question was asked by another member earlier in this thread re: what the remaining portion of Potassium Gluconate that isn’t potassium should be counted as. IE, should it be considered glucose. I believe the answer is no, but can anyone weigh in?

I just use milk + whey protein. Version 1 of my diy (v2 was a little adhoc, still finalizing v3). No potassium, choline, or calcium/magnesium powders. Figuring out how to do a recipe without those is what led me to finally start making my own, as I didn’t want to deal with 1g-2g kind of precision.

Apparently a small portion of gluconic acid (gluconate) can be turned into pyruvate that the liver could then make into sugar but the process is either negligable from size or calorie neutral from effort.

Some interesting supposed health benefits though according to some kombucha page!

Did you ever try this @bassul? It seems like the most accessible form of Potassium in terms of logistics and boosts Potassium levels nicely. Anyone else?

Just to follow this up, I gave Cream of Tartar a go in a DIY recipe of mine, and it is just way too salty to use. I’ll have to find something to cook with it instead.