SOY in SOYLENT?

I know the answer is there is almost none. My brother is interested in soylent but concerned about SOY being listed in the ingrets…

Im trying to find an official reply from julio or a link that was posted (i know ive seen a bunch in the past) or some proof that there is pretty much no soy in soylent…problem is searching this forum for the word SOY can be tricky as its all over the place in the name of the product…

does anyone remember a thread or link or news article that talks about the lack of soy in soylent? A link would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.

My understanding was that there was actually zero soy in Soylent… thought I saw that posted just recently…?

EDIT: Found this: http://discourse.soylent.me/t/im-intolerant-to-soy-can-i-use-soylent/4536

The only soy in soylent is soy lecithin, an emulsifier (1st Google search result) which appears to be completely harmless unless you happen to have some super-rare extreme allergic reaction to soy, and even then…

Of course, it all depends on where you get your information. Further down the Google results page is an article on preventdisease.com saying to avoid it.

You can see Soy Lecithin listed towards the end of the ingredients:

Sorry, I don’t have a link handy, but there is soy lecithin in Soylent 1.0. If I’m remembering correctly (edit: it appears I wasn’t), it was because of food regulations in the US, they can’t market it as "soy"lent unless there’s at least a tiny but of something soy-ish. Also, soy lecithin is an emulsifier and a source of choline.

BUT if I remember correctly, they said that because of how soy lecethin is processed it shouldn’t be a problem for people with soy allergies even though it is technically soy.

SERIOUSLY!!! Can @JulioMiles or someone else official comment on this? That seems completely nuts to me… not that I’d put it past a government regulatory agency to require something that is completely nuts…

We were talking about soy allergy, not nut allergy :wink:

I found the post saying it should be OK for soy allergies, but I can’t find the post about the legal reason for it… I hope I didn’t accidentally make it up. I think it was in one of the old blog posts.

Anyway, this post has the bit about the soy allergies and that it’s for emulsification and choline:

LOL this is how wars are started ya know… :wink:

his main focus is on the bottom right of this image it says “Contains: Fish, Soy” im looking for some way to prove to him that that means either something SOYISH but not soy…or that it’s in a small enough amount that it doesnt even matter…but he says…contains SOY means SOY… need something official from the company to confirm for him that its non soy…thanks guys…

I think I may have read the last sentence of this post and jumped to conclusions…
http://blog.soylent.me/post/61556254347/9-15-weekly-recap

Coming up next week: more GI testing, a legal update on the Soylent name and our actual Soy content, and more!

but then I see no “legal update on the Soylent name” in the following blog posts. Unless the post in question has disappeared or I’m missing it.

I think I recall that the whole “legal soy name” thing was in fact a little mini urban legend spawned here on the forums a long time back.

Someone read the same post you did, made an assumption, and then it got posted in several places (by forum members) and started getting passed around as assumed fact. It resurfaces every once in a while, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything actually coming close to confirming that it works that way.

Fun fact, there was also the myth that they were getting sued by Disney (or someone) over the rights to the word “Soylent” in context of food.

I’m of Jewish ancestry. I’m gonna sue over the use of OY!

It does contain soy, as mentioned, but in the form of soy lecithin.
If he has a severe (anaphylactic) allergy to soy (as I do), anaphylaxis is only to proteins. Soy lecithin, like soy oil, is free of any protein and thus not an allergy issue. Non anaphylactic allergies I am aware of are also to protein only, but I can only speak definitively for anaphylaxis.

Protein = hospital
Lecithin = fine.

You can’t just look at the contains things at the bottom, because they don’t tell you the nature of the ingredients contained.

That sounds likely. Sorry for propagating it. I edited my post above.

i dont think its an allergy…his wife is supper analytical about what the family eats…i think its more about all the bad stuff people have been commenting on about soy in general…rather than working to disprove that stuff…i just wanted to show that soylent doesnt have soy…

sent him the soy lechitin link but still not sure that will be enough…OK…Soy lechiten is ok…but soylent says SOY…prove that that is the ONLY soy they were talking about when they put CONTAINS SOY…i know … going crazy and he didnt actually say that yet…but i like to have all my bases covered when trying to prove something to someone.

GOT IT from Soylent.me FAQ page

Is there soy in Soylent?Hardly any. Soylent
contains small amounts of soy lecithin (which does not contain any of the allergen-causing elements of soy). The name “Soylent" comes from thebook Make Room! Make Room

this plus the soy lecithin link should be enough…thanks guys

A pouch of Soylent 1.0 contains 6g of soy lecithin.

Soy Lecithin (6g) - Lecithins, often used in baking, have emulsification properties. Soylent is a colloid that combines substances that are normally immiscible. Emulsifiers like lecithin allow for a homogenous mixture of what would normally separate immediately. Lecithins are a mixture of different fatty substances and choline, and are completely metabolized by the body. While derived from soy, lecithin is completely isolated from proteins and phytoestrogens from the plant and thus is safe for consumption by those with a soy allergy.

http://blog.soylent.me/post/73232819517/there-is-more-to-food-than-nutrition-even-a

It’s not an urban legend. If you search for the trademark “Soylent” on www.uspto.gov you’ll see it is approved for “Dietary and nutritional supplements containing soy.” (It’s silly, hence my username, but what can you do.)

Quoth Julio:

The Real Problems With Soylent Are Not Fixed In Version 1.1