Soy Lecithin Granules - Nutrition Information Source

Where is everybody getting their Soy Lecithin Numbers from?

a quick survey of the diy site is a little disturbing as there are some recipes listing very basic numbers (fat,carbs), others with laundry lists of vitamins etc. i even saw one with 1220ug of vitamin K per 100g. the USDA list as far as i can tell doesn’t specify Soy Granules per se, but lumps it in with vegetable oils ( see here ) which lists vitamin K as 184ug/100g (nowhere near 1220ug) now it’s possible that the concentration for granules ends up different to the oil listing in the USDA, but i’d like to ask where you are getting the numbers you are using for your recipes from.

@QuidNYC - where did you source your nutrition info for Soy Lecithin Granules for your superfood recipe?

So I am going to assume that anyone using soy lecithin in their DIY just rolled a dice and entered some random numbers in, or worse, use it as a book-cooking ingredient for nutrients their recipe was otherwise lacking.

We have all heard of secret societies that were established in medieval times to keep knowledge hidden and give their members an edge over the competition. Wether they be builders keeping secrets about how to make stone buildings, or alchemists with magic potions to cure and or create diseases. This sort of behaviour has continued to this day, with secrets being kept to maximise profits for those in the know.

Open source is the opposite of all that. Open source is about creating a community where secrets are not kept, rather knowledge is shared, for the common good, to advance progress for all.

Sorry about the rant.

@unsynchronized – Your rant is certainly understandable – I’ve had a number of my own when it comes to tracking down good data on certain ingredients.

I will never, ever, take somebody’s ingredient posted on the DIY site at face value. As you’ve found, there is absolutely no guarantee as to the accuracy. I need to do the research and calculations myself to have any confidence in them.

Thus I have done my best to cobble together what I believe to be the best information available for each ingredient. Where possible, I always prioritize data from the USDA nutrient database – in many cases it is far more complete than any other source (product labels are inconsistent at best, omit certain nutrients entirely, and zero out or crudely round off others depending on the “serving size”).

In the case of soy lecithin granules, the USDA data is less than ideal. As you’ve pointed out, the data is for soy lecithin in its pure (liquid oil) form. Lecithin granules are produced through a combination of the lecithin oil with some kind of carbohydrate and/or protein binder (probably soy powder). This is likely to be a proprietary process that varies to some degree from one producer to the next.

What I did in the end was to combine the USDA entry for lecithin with the product label for the Bob’s Red Mill soy lecithin granules (basically I used the USDA data as the baseline but went with the Bob’s Red Mill values where they significantly differed). I believe this is sufficient to get values that are at least in the correct ballpark of reality.

As always, I invite you and others to point out any significant discrepancies you may find, bearing in mind the above process. It would be great if we could annotate the ingredient profiles with details on our research and decision process, but until then I’ll continue to grit my teeth and smile when the “Where did you get [X value] for whey protein?” type questions come in each week.

At the end of the day, I think we need to accept a certain degree of agnosticism when it comes to the nutrient content of certain ingredients (as non-pharmaceutical grade food products are going to vary from batch to batch regardless).

@quidnyc thanks for the post. I am using your numbers for the lecithin now, even though I am currently not actually using that specific brand. I may try to source some locally if it is not too pricey (I am in Australia )

Maybe we should find a contact in DC who can get friendly with Abbey at NCIS. I am sure she could analyse ingredients using her fancy gizmos. All for the price of some over caffeinated sugar water. Oh that’s right this is the real world.

I’m adding lecithin to my diy recipe, but it’s not adding up. Take the Bob’s lecithin for example:

Serving size: 8g
Carbs: 1g
Fats: 4g
Protein: 0g
Fiber: 0g
Total: 5g

3g are missing. What is it?

Could be water, or “ash”. Not everything is calorically relevant.