Soylent 1.0 Final Nutrition

They’ve posted the final nutrition label

squeel

throw panties on stage

Didn’t think I could get MORE excited. Oh me, how wrong you were.

The feeling that this update imparts is not unlike the increasing urgency you feel when you really have to pee, and the bathroom keeps getting closer and closer… Maybe not the most appetizing analogy, but no one who’s super concerned about that sort of thing is likely to be hanging around the Soylent forum. =P

Any idea how much water they’re suggesting we mix with a serving?

I believe a full days is 2L, so something like 2/3 of a liter per serving. Although I suppose in the end its more along the lines of as much as you want.

I would like some confirmation about the fiber content. Rob had originally said that each day would have 38g of fiber (that’s the government recommendation for active mails), yet the final label says that it only has 24g (8 * 3 = 24). So where did the other 14g of fiber go? It could very well be that they’re just not labeling it on the label because it’s insoluble fiber or it comes from other sources…but I’d just like to be sure.

I’m also curious on where the sodium went, from the blog:

It should contain 500mg per serving, instead of the 350. While most Americans over-consume salt, I think 1050 mg is pretty low.

I would agree with this, I hope @rob or someone else can explain this value if they havn’t already somewhere

So, to make Soylent you just need 33% of everything?

there are 3 servings in the bag

Very exciting!

Small questions though, and I’m sure I’ve missed the answers earlier. But…

Why is the oil separate? Is it just for the vegan concern? I’ve noticed that DIYers tend not to add the oil to their powder either. Am I missing something? Because I just add the oil (slowly and evenly) to my powder when making the whole batch (anywhere from one to three weeks worth). Works a treat - the powder is still a powder, if a little more… well, oily. Much easier to make a shake on the run I find. But, am I running the risk of rancidity or something?

Cheers Jack

I think it’s to prevent mold, but I may be wrong.

It might also be because of the dramatically different shelf lives of the ingredients. Flour is generally good for 6-8 months, while fish oil is only good for around 3 in optimum conditions. I wonder if eventually they’ll sell solo oil packs, for people who have held onto a batch for so long that the dry ingredients are still fine but the oils have gone bad. That’d be pretty cool.

I’ve gotta say, with the nutrition facts out this whole crazy thing is finally starting to seem real. I look forward to being done DIYing.

What does the RDA for cholesterol mean? Is it LDL or HDL or both? Is it an upper limit or a target?

ther is no RDA for cholesterol, your body makes it’s own in the amount you need.

In the context of the label, what does the daily value represent then?

It probably means % of 300mg, maybe 200.

Limit cholesterol intake to less than 300 mg per day, for most people.

I do the same thing to keep track of fructose, cholesterol, and saturated fat. With the understanding that the goal is to keep the % low.

(Deleted post above is because I accidentally replied to Sintax rather than the entire topic.)

Kyaaaah, 33 %. But then we’re only gonna get 99 % for three meals. Scandalous!

Kidding.

More seriously, I want to ask, will you provide official instructions or tips for vegetarian (and vegan) customers who’ll need to find their own oil? As someone who doesn’t delve in DIY at all, the perspective of all the searching and calculating and stuff is scaring me a bit.

@anonynamja I think it’s a percentage of how much the scientists who calculated the number think an average human can take without harm. Like the % daily value numbers for saturated and trans fats.

i think your only option with Vegan omega 3 is algae based omega 3 containing EPA DHA. witch is kind of expensive compared to fish based omega 3

Expensive is one thing (I’ll see once I have the actual price) but if I understand well it’s most importantly hard to find, which is what worries me. If they could give us a provider it would be awesome. That or alternative oil options that would be readily available, inferior to fish oil but still nutritionally acceptable. Something so we’re not left all alone to do something we know little about.

There is one question about the ingredients list i have:
Is it just me, or is Vitamin B2 (as riboflavin) twice on the list?
Once at position 12 of the ‘Vitamin and Mineral Blend’ and a second time at the very end…

Were they unsure about the amount and had measured its presence twice, just to make sure?
Or is one actually a typo and should be roboflavin, which is totally different from the former?