Soylent 1.0 Final Nutrition

i think there is only a handfull of them. it’s an emerging market and not realistic.

Hmm… per serving…

84g of carbs
(waaaay too much)

Only 8g of fiber
(not enough for the amount of carbs, but otherwise okay)

Only 5g of fat
(not enough)

Only 1g of saturated
(not enough)

Sodium
(too little)

No differentiation of omega 3/6.
(need to have ratio of 6:3 known)

Synthetic vitamin E
(bad for you)

Vitamin A from Palmitate
(bad for you)

Folic acid
(synthetic, bad for you)

Vitamin D2???
(wrong type, mostly useless, requires D3)

Only Vitamin K1!?!?
(need K1, K2 MK4, and K2 MK-7 - MK4 seems to be the most important)

Niacinamide
(wrong type, should use nicotinic acid - at least mostly)

Fish oil
(location, PCBs, mercury, rancid/oxidation status, DHA/EPA amounts all unknown)

Sodium selenite
(bad for you)

Sucralose
(unknown, unneeded)

Canola Oil
(meh - I’d have to see chemical makeup lab results to trust it)

Wow, no thanks. This is all very sad…

It sounded so good in the original idea. There was even talk of olive oil, coconut oil, MCT oil and other things that really got my hopes up. But now it’s the same unhealthy garbage already sold at CVS/ABC/Walgreens/etc. This recipe definitely should not be used long term by anyone.

Do you have sources (peer reviewed studies) to back up any of the claims you are making?

Right now your post reads like a lunar landing denial or 9/11 inside job conspiarcy. Tons of dire claims using questionable sources and even more questionable assumptions.

While I could accept your commentary as just that (your opinions). Your tone makes it sound as if you are an authority on such a topic, when you are very likely not.

and why 84g of carbs way to much? it’s only 50% of the calorie source.

and sodium is 1050 a day 1500 are more of a requirement for more active people

Fish oil ratios will probably be in the 350mg per gram.
canola oil is actually better then olive oil. at least if you use european rapeseed oil witch is heavily regulated and contains only 100% raised oil aka canola oil and is safer for consumption then american variants

I did a double take on this. The daily numbers for certain ingredients in food labeling actually indicate a maximum. You’re urged to keep it below that.

Eve

I have lots of peer reviewed evidence, but I’m not going to waste my time because it really won’t change anything. I just wanted to quickly drop my bullet points and move on so I’m not going to take too much more time on this.

I don’t believe in any conspiracies. I just believe synthetics are cheaper and so companies prefer to use them. They tend to either provide little to no benefit - often because our bodies don’t recognize them completely as what we’re switching them in for, or sometimes they have strange side effects in lab results (often with inflammation reactions). My issue with them though isn’t that they’re added to some of my food, but rather that in Soylent they could potentially be a replacement for all nutrition.

I am definitely not an authority on nutrition, although I am fascinated by it and do research a lot on the topics.

I could guess about levels too but I want to know the tested levels are.

And I don’t like rapeseed, and I definitely don’t like the conversion process to canola. Supposedly the conversion processes now produce very little trans fats, but I’d like to see those numbers on his formulation.

And I like olive oil because it has about half the omega 6 as canola. While omega 6 is essential we tend to consume too much of it, as well as having an improper ratio.

Omega oils are also very delicate and I’m worried they’re going to be pre-oxidized by the processing. I actually liked it better when the fish oil was separate.

The fish oil is still separate, from everything I’ve heard/seen.

Saturated fats are shelf stable fats so they’re much better in a processed food like Soylent.

The maximum levels exist due to a mix of reasons, but everyone should just ignore those numbers on product labels. It’s a from a mix of bad research, mainly due to the confusion of fats (they lumped trans fats into saturated fats because they didn’t originally know the health difference) and because of lobbying (ironically enough from the margarine lobby, which we know now is bad due to the trans fats).

And I’m not saying that it needs to be animal fats, although I wouldn’t mind that, but palm kernel oil or coconut oil would be great.

According to the product label it looks like they added directly into the mix, and I was also under that impression because they supposedly added the sucralose in to dispel some of the fishy taste (in addition to the metal, salty taste). And the fishy taste worries me because that taste/smell is mainly due from rancid fish oil, which means oxidized omega 3s (and those are worse than useless).

im sure the oil is separate to help with shelf life and keep mold from growing

ther is 3g of saturated fat in it. ant to lower the ratification of the fat you can ad vitamin E. usually omega 3 fish oil have aded vitamin E

and we usually only consume omega 6 every day and omega3 sometimes every month. and the fact that the fat content is low, then the omega 6 content will be low. probably at a close value of 1:1-1:3 omega3:6

well the fear of canola is baseless and quite over rated.Eu have way higher standard on food then USA have and we use it just as regular in food as olive oil(Exempt italy/spain)

and the omega 3 in the canola is only made of ALA, as in Olive Oil

The fish oil is shipped separately, but as it is a part of the product, gets included in the over all nutrition. Also, if you don’t provide any relevant sources, it just tells the rest of us that you don’t know what your talking about. Otherwise, all your claims that the ingredients are ‘bad for you’ is just your personal opinion. I feel as though I should also point out to you that, be definition, most medications are ‘synthetic’ (made by human hands, and not naturally occurring). Point is, if it has the same elements and same configuration (not sure how to explain chemical structure in text), your body doesn’t care where it came from.

Vitamin K1 can be turned into any of the other ones you listed by your body/microbiome. Indeed, that is the case for many of your ‘wrong one’ listings. If ANY of these are indeed bad for you, they do have a panel of nutritionists and metabolic experts that have given their agreement that none of the ingredients are bad and fall within the needed/required amounts.

You’ve taken the time post 5 times today in this topic alone, as well as posting in other topics. Claiming you have evidence, but don’t have time to present it, while trolling through the forum all day… nice.

If only he had posted sources.

The ingredients appear very similar to a Dietary Supplement from LEF that myself and friends have personally found very effective. Though there may be differences in quality, quantity and bio-availability. These Soylent guys though… they have my appreciation for the hard work and effort put into this product. It takes serious dedication to untangle the concepts and science behind nutrition to the point where the information actually becomes usable in a beneficial way. It is my hope that Soylent can save me from the suppository sized supplement pills!

I was with you until suppository. :wink:

What’s the input method for those pills again?

Ahhh, you’re not getting me this time.

Comparing Soylent with highly concentrated vitamin /mineral pills is not rational. The link you posted states the 9 pills per day are to be evenly distributed with meals. Soylent is meals that contain vitamins minerals & macro nutrients.