Soylent 1.1 too thin? I've been doing 1.0 wrong!

I’ve been waiting a while for my subscription to get started, so in my haste I started ordering Soylent from resellers on eBay and from people on the forums.

Since resellers don’t sell pitchers, I went and bought a 2 gallon plastic pitcher from Costco. I had been using it for some DIY I was getting from @axcho but with the official I had no idea how much water to use. I seem to remember the Takeya pitcher being 2 quarts so I started there.

Somewhere along the line I somehow started adding more and more water. I think I had like a 1 quart in there and wanted to mix more for the next day, so added on top for 3 quarts total.

Anyway, I ended up with my current recipe of 1 bag of Soylent 1.0 added to nearly 3 liters of water (pitcher has marking for both imperial/metric). No idea how I got there. But then I found it too thin (go figure!) and was adding Xanthum gum to re-thicken it up. Ended up perfectly fine. But then while reading a forum the other day I noticed several people would complain about feeling thirsty after drinking Soylent. Here I am, having to pee every 30 minutes, wondering what in the world they’re talking about.

Last night I received a re-sale of v1.1 that included a pitcher. Mixed it up according to directions, even adding my Xanthum gum. Took a swig. Holy crap did I need a drink of water! It was so… thick! And scratchy. For work I usually fill up two Blender Bottles ™ and that accounts for about 2/3 of the pitcher (leaving about 1.5 bottles worth). Today, I took each bottle and filled them about 2/3 of the way and then added more water. I guess next time I’ll leave out the Xanthum…

TL;DNR: I’ve been using 1.0 with almost double the water required, then re-thickening it with Xanthum. 1.1 according to directions does not seem thin at all to me. Also, I’m bad at reading directions apparently.

You might have just solved Soylent for me. Add extra water AND xanthan gum for a low-calorie mix! perfect

I found if I added even a little too much water to 1.0 it was weird tasting. I mean just a few ounces more of water. I was filling my pitcher roughly an inch below the green line of the handle component and that’s where it tasted best for me. I looked away while filling one night and got very close to the green line. My Soylent tasted of cardboard and all the sweetness was gone. It was smoother though, but I liked the flavor of (possibly underprepared) Soylent so it was no bueno for me.

Did your 3 liter mix taste like anything?

That’s an interesting thought… more water AND a thickening agent. I’m not after a low cal solution personally but I can see how this might be just the ticket for some! Great post :slight_smile:

I also mixed in cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice, so… it wasn’t a strong flavor, but it was very mild and smooth.

I’ve also started mixing with maple syrup (not corn syrup mix, real maple syrup) for a nice hint of flavor.

Both work well with what I’m calling Overhyrdated Soylent ™. Also Badatmath Soylent.

Edit: For my recipe, I use just one bag and bottle of Soylent and oil, plus almost 3 liters of water. I then add my flavoring (either cinnamon or maple syrup), a dash of salt, 2 teaspoons of psyllium husk powder, and about 3/8 teaspoon of Xanthum gum powder. Mix like hell with immersion blender. Chill. Serve.

Thanks for sharing your accident. Seems like we’re all discovering new alternatives to try…