Soylent 1.3 modifiers: what's your recipe?

All you folks out there who drink official Soylent but make small modifications: what’s your regular recipe?

For a pitcher of Soylent I add:

- 3 grams of table salt - 5 grams of psyllium husk powder - 2 grams of cinnamon

updated, see here: http://discourse.soylent.me/t/soylent-modifiers-whats-your-recipe/19172/22

For a pitcher of Soylent I add:

• 1 TBSP Stevia
  • 3 TBSP psyllium husk supplement (citrus flavor)
  • 1 TBSP Hershey’s Cocoa Special Dark powder

EDIT:
I should mention that I am still on v1.2. I also am a long-time vegetarian (eating a very high fiber diet), so I am used to the bulk in my diet.

A tablespoon of stevia? 3 tablespoons of fiber? Yikes.

@jjb, what kind of cinnamon? cassia or ceylon.

I ask this because http://discourse.soylent.me/t/confused-about-cinnamon/18778/14

Let’s see, converting to grams.

For 1 bag of Soylent, I do:

1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons Psyllium
2-4 tablespoons dark chocolate cocoa, varies day to day based on what I want at the time I’m mixing it.

Random internet sites translate it to about

3 grams salt
10 grams psyllium
15-30 grams dark chocolate cocoa

I feel like I go over on the chocolate to try to dull the strong vanilla flavor. I usually think of vanilla as more of a background flavor vs. what I’ve experienced with Soylent.

@inod3,

3 more grams of salt, in addition to what soylent already has? Isnt it becoming salty? I am genuinely curious.

I still have 1.1, and am adding 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum, and three drops of sucralose (in a one drop = one tsp. sugar equivalent concentration). I take my salt on the side.

i have ceylon cinnamon

correction: I use saigon cinnamon (is that cassia or ceylon?)

that puts it at right about the RDA

i don’t find it salty at all

Yeah. Soylent has 360mg of sodium which is what we really care about - the sodium. That’s 1/3rd bag, so brings it up to 1080mg per day or 45% of the daily value, if you’re relying on 2400mg being the daily value.

1/2 teaspoon table salt is 2.84 grams. So that’s an additional 1101 mg of sodium. Brings the daily total to about 2181 for a bag of Soylent. plus salt.

I got there through very detailed scientific trial and error. That is, I forgot about salt and thought “Wow, this is the most vanilla thing I’ve ever tasted!” Later, I realized I was trying to fall asleep all the time. Headaches weren’t bad, but drowsiness was terrible. Added 1/4 tsp “better” decided if that helped why not add more. Did 1/2 tsp “I feel normal” now.

The taste is a bit salty, that is, you can taste the salt. It isn’t salty like licking the rim of your margarita or eating salted peanuts, but it’s enough that you can taste it. On the plus side, it really does help with that overwhelming vanilla flavor.

Rosa Labs does recommend adding more salt. They figured that it’s easier to add salt than remove it so we should make our own judgments. The same was done with sucralose. I did add about 1/3 tsp of salt to the pitcher. Never thought to add more but I should try the 3 grams. With the extra 1/3 tsp, I never tasted the salt… if anything it just brought out the flavor of the Soylent more.

The cinnamon sounds good. I should try that at well once my reorder comes.

I also wonder about the extra fiber. Why the need to add in extra fiber? Just curious because it seems to be at 100% already

I think they should add it themselves as some people wont add it and some people wont bother reading all the recommendations. Its true. And it seems like bringing it to 1500 mg sodium wont make it unpalatable. And for some its even making the taste better. I base these conclusions on what i observed with almost everybody who i saw talking about this, save one person. So i think it can be done. Thats why i asked inod if it isnt making it salty. This was more like a mini-survey, so that @soylent or @rob or @juliomiles sees this.

Some people, such as myself, have medical conditions that extra fiber helps with.

My recipe (usually):
3 tsp of psyllium husk
~1/2 tsp salt (I don’t measure it, just pour in my hand until “that’s good” and throw it in)
3-4 tsp pure Maple Syrup if I have it (not the corn syrup BS knockoff)
1 cup or so extra water (I know it won’t fit in the pitcher, but I pour 500 ml into a blender bottle, then top it off with extra water)

edit: sometimes I don’t use the takeya pitcher. If that’s the case, I add a ton of extra water (3 cups or so) and then add about 1/8 tsp of Xanthum gum powder.

It was once thought that people were getting too much salt but now it seems studies show that people get too little. 2000 MG seems to be the recommended daily amount. I am on the fence on whether or not Rosa Labs should add in the extra salt or not.

I see. I was wondering if there was some nutritional knowledge that I wasn’t aware of that required more fiber but it makes sense that some need it for medical reasons.

1500-2300 is the range of recommended amount by most organizations. And seems like 1500mg is the lower limit. And i said 1500 mg because thats the least soylent could get away without making it salty for most people. If they add more than that i am okay with it too.

True enough good chap.

For one bag of Soylent v1.1 I add 3 Tbsp, about 15 grams, of Hershey’s Cocoa Special Dark powder. I get the extra sodium from pretzels or Gatorade – separately, not mixed in, that sounds terrible.

For one bag of Soylent, I add 5 or 6 packets of Splenda and either one tbsp. vanilla powder or 3 tbsps. pure, dark, unsweetened cocoa. Nothings subtle for me, thanks. Salt comes from anything else I happen to eat that day.

I find that my Soylent poops are “sticky” as someone else on the discussion boards has described it. Solid, but kind of messy and hard to wipe. It was suggested that adding psyllium husk could help with that. For me it does.

PEG 3350, 3 caps, 3 x 17g = 51g