Soylent 1.4 causing me sour stomach

I have been on Soylent 1.4 since Saturday for 100% of my nutrition. I have never tried Soylent before. I am well hydrated and have stopped drinking coffee because of the acidity, though I still take a 200mg caffeine tablet first thing in the morning and another one a few hours later.

My stomach is very sour and uncomfortable most of the day. Alka Seltzer sometimes helps, but I don’t want to take it every day. Could Soylent be causing this? Is there some modification that might help?

I had been on Omeprazole for GERD for quite some time but stopped taking it because I figured I wouldn’t need it now that I’m not eating rich, spicy foods. This morning I started taking it again and plan to continue if it helps.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

No advice here, other than to maybe drink less of it? If I drink too much my stomach doesn’t feel right either, and I get smelly gas.

Might want to ease into Soylent. One meal for a few days, then two for a few days, and then 3 meals etc etc. Ramp it up, versus jumping in 100%. There is an adjustment period.

There are approximately 10 different threads concerning stomach problems. Maybe a couple of them may have an answer for you?

Soylent recommends not starting out 100%. See the release notes that came with your order with their recommendation for easing into a 100% Soylent diet.

How much coffee did you consume before quitting? Ranges are all over the place, but the average coffee comes in between 75-150 mg of caffeine. So depending on your previous coffee intake, 400mg of caffeine might be quite an increase.

Ric: All of the threads I’ve seen about stomach problems pertain to versions of Soylent earlier than 1.4, which I understand was just released. As for not starting out 100%, that might have been wise, but I’m kind of an extreme guy. I assume that if I persist I’ll eventually get used to it, but I’m off to New York for a few days and am almost out of Soylent (though I’ve reordered), so maybe when I return I’ll ramp up and see whether that improves things. Not sure what I’ll eat the rest of the day, as the main reason I went on Soylent is that I’m absolutely rubbish at choosing food wisely.

I used to drink 24oz/day of strong black (Peet’s) coffee, made by the drip method, on work days, and a bit less on weekends. I’ve always believed that drip coffee contains about 30mg caffeine per ounce, though Google says it’s closer to 12mg, so that might indeed be my problem. I’ll cut back to 100mg twice per day and see whether that helps.

Thanks!

How do you define “well hydrated”?

There are a number of things in Soylent that can cause some short term issues with hydration. Soylent is high in potassium and low in sodium. This will cause your body to purge water from your blood vessels and increase urienation. Depending on how carb heavy your old diet was the sudden drop in intake can cause your body to burn stored glycogen. 1g of glycogen holds onto 3-4g of water. When glycogen is used the water is released increasing urienation. Finally, depending on your previous diet Soylent may represent a sudden increase in fiber. Sudden increase in fiber will pull water into your intestines and cause dehydration.

Also keep in mind that even if your caffeine intake hasn’t changed, Soylent’s easier digestibility may result in an effect similar to taking the caffeine pills on a near empty stomach.

horsfield: I go through about two liters of water sitting at my desk on weekdays, and in the evenings and weekends I drink a similar quantity of decaffeinated (or herbal) iced tea. I have stopped taking fiber supplements because Soylent 1.4 has 27g/day, but I’m thinking of bumping that up a bit with supplements, as I’ve noticed some trouble with bowel movements (good consistency, but hard to pass).
Uuerdo: That’s a good point. One of the reasons I went on Soylent is so I would stop eating heavily at night, sleeping poorly, and waking up still digesting the previous night’s dinner. I don’t think I’ve had an empty stomach in 30 years. I have noticed that other substances I have ingested in small quantities have had a much stronger mood-altering effect than I’m used to now that I’m on Soylent. No reason caffeine would be any different.

Soylent 1.4 has 16g of fiber not 27g.

Re: Fiber. I experienced similar issues; I am still experimenting with amounts, but so far I am finding about a teaspoon of psyllium husk powder per serving seems to be just about right for me.

Vaguely Related Side Note:
A tbsp of psyllium husk powder, with 6 oz Soylent powder, and 4-5 dried figs (soaked it hot water to soften, but include water in mix for flavor) put into a blender yields something close to pudding when left to refrigerate overnight. I don’t measure water, but that is when enough water is used to make that a total 20 fl oz. I didn’t try that high of a level of fiber long enough to notice it’s affects, but that lunch was one of the tastiest, even if I almost needed a spoon to get it out of my bottle. :grin:

I am obviously behind. Don’t most adults require far more than 16g of fiber daily? I don’t mind taking supplements or mixing in some psyllium husk, but Soylent advertises itself as being all you need to eat.

They’re still refining it, and I hope they never stop completely. The current thinking is that Soylent should not need as much fiber due to it’s ease of digestion. In our cases, that is apparently either not true, or we didn’t give our bodies long enough to adjust. But even considering that, I’d still rather they put too little of non-nutrients than too much. It’s a lot easier to increase (and psyllium is cheap) than decrease such things.

One theory behind the lower fiber content of 1.4 is that because it’s a liquid and not a solid it doesn’t need as much fiber to move it through your gut. As far as I know there hasn’t been an official explanation yet.

Women need 25 grams of fiber per day, and men need 38 grams per day, according to the Institute of Medicine. (via WebMD)

In the link they actually make a point of saying that most Americans only get 15 grams of fiber per day and how that is not enough.

The Institute of Medicine provides adequate intake levels for total fiber based on your age and gender. They only have four levels: males under 50, females under 50, males 50 and up, and females 50 and up. A very broad and inprecise spectrum, which doesn’t take into account an individual’s size or activity level.

An individual’s total fiber needs are based on individualized calorie recommendations. According to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2010, a person should aim for 14 grams of fiber for each 1,000 calories consumed.

Soylent contains 2000 calories per package and 16g fiber. According to the individual needs, a person consuming 2000 calories should aim for 28g of fiber. RL feels 16g is adequete, as Soylent is liquid and requires less than the 28g recommended.

Log your opinions of 1.4 here

That would give you a sour stomach indeed just by itself if it is already having problems like with your GERD.

Thank you for the info. I think I am going to start adding some psyllium husk just to be safe since it is so far below (almost half) the recommended level.

Maybe, but I gave up coffee because of the acid. Caffeine is an alkaloid, right? Tomorrow I’ll cut the tablet in half and just have half with my first Soylent and half with my second.

My thoughts exactly. Everyone’s tolerance is different and caffeine tolerance in particular is easy to build up, but still 400mg/day, closely spaced together, would definitely give me trouble. My normal max is 160mg twice a day (combined with 2x that amount of l-theanine) and those are usually spaced a good 6+ hours apart. More frequently I just do 80mg once or twice per day. Oh and I have never been a coffee or heavy soda drinker so I get almost no caffeine from any other sources, so likely have a relatively low tolerance compared to a heavy coffee drinker.

Let us know how it goes @dilbert69. I’ve had quite a bit of Soylent the past couple of days. I skipped dinner last night and just drank Soylent, about 900 calories over the course of the evening. I got some gnarly egg gas before bed, and woke up this morning with a sour stomach. :frowning: