Soylent 1.4 / Diabetic / Diabetes

My husband and I are both trying Soylent 1.4. We are both overweight. I am diabetic, he is not. I also want to mention that I take 2 Metformin pills daily (1000mg each) and also take 1 Onglyza pill (5mg) to control my diabetes.

I started with the 4 meals a day, as the packet indicates. I’ve tried reducing the portions by having 8 ounce meals (instead of 16oz) more frequently. I’ve tried using 3/4s of the packet a day but no matter what I try my blood sugar is in the high 200s each time I take my reading. It doesn’t seem to matter whether it is a fasting reading, a reading before meals or one taken 2 hours after meals.

Is Soylent only acceptable for Diabetics who take insulin shots and can tailor the quantity of insulin to suit the meal? I am really down about this because we have both struggled for years and years with our weight and we hoped that Soylent would be a positive move for us. If my husband chooses to stick with Soylent, it will be more difficult for him if our kitchen is stocked with food and I am having to cook meals for myself.

I’ve tried looking at the DIY recipes and I have no idea where to begin or which one might suit my situation.

Thats sad to hear, 1.4 was suppose to be better for the blood sugar than previous versions… Are you drinking or eating anything other than Soylent? How long after eating Soylent are you doing the blood test?

Could you perhaps do a few over a period of time to show the exact numbers and and how fast it rises and falls again?

Diabetes Blood Sugar Result for Soylent (Fasting

It is specific to v1.3, but I am guessing the problems are similar.

You would see more positive results from physical exercise than from Soylent. If you have a difficult work schedule, not being able to fit exercise into the mix is understandable.

If you haven’t already, I think you should discuss this diet with your physician. I’m sure plenty of people will eventually show up here telling you what to do because their “uncle has diabetes”, so they’re suddenly an expert.

As far as I know, Soylent has a lower-than-normal GI rating, though the exact testing is still underway and quite expensive. Rest assured, this information should be available soon enough. Until then, I think your best course of action would just be to talk to your doctor about what your options are. I don’t know if Soylent would necessarily help you but considering the quality of the formula, I would be surprised if it aggravated your condition.

While supposedly the GI of Soylent 1.4 is lower than previous versions Soylent was never specifically intended for people with diabetes. Previous versions also caused unacceptable blood sugar spikes in people with diabetes. You can try adding 10 more grams of fiber do the packet and shake to mix it in and see if that helps. The extra fiber should slow down the rate of carb absorption.

@rob wrote the following 18 months ago:

While not a medical product, Soylent is designed with the diabetic in mind.

We are working with Dr. Pi-Sunyer, Chief of the Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Nutrition at St. Luke’s/Roosevelt Hospital Center and Professor of Medicine at Columbia University to not only create something as healthy as possible for the typical consumer, but something that would be nutritious and sustainable for the diabetic as well.

We are careful to use carbohydrate sources that have a low GI. For example, the specific type of maltodextrin we use has a high ratio of (1->6) to (1->4) glycosidic bonds, meaning it is metabolized much more slowly than a typical corn maltodextrin. Something like ensure gets a large percentage of its calories from high fructose corn syrup, which I would feel uncomfortable consuming myself, much less recommending to a diabetic.

More about Dr. Pi-Sunyer here: http://www.nyorc.org/director.aspx62. You will notice much influence in diabetes research specifically.

Unfortunately, they did not end up using that tapioca maltodextrin in the 1.0 formula.

In 1.4 they switched to isomaltulose, which is a slower carb than any maltodextrin - but they also added two starches, which are fast carbs.

@Cheryl - I’m sorry the current Soylent is still too sharp a carb load for you. Would you be willing to do DIY if folks here helped point you to decent low-carb versions for you, or does it seem like too big an undertaking?

Personally, I’d say go for DIY - that’s what I did, back when Soylent was taking five months to ship, and I never regretted it - but it’s not for everyone.

Hooray! Somebody else is mentioning the starches! Lol

But in all seriousness, if starch is a fat carb, and if the starches really are to blame for the unwanted consistency of 1.4, by removing them @soylent could kill two birds with one stone.

There are also people who sell ready-made lower-carb soylents.

Blendrunner’s chart is getting pretty darn good for comparing what’s on the market, with links to whatever you might be interested in trying.

Yes, I would definitely be interested in trying DIY Soylent recipes, as it would mean my husband and I would still be doing this together (even if he uses the official product and I use DIY). I just don’t know where to begin when looking through the recipes.

I"ve used Soylent while on pills and while on Insulin. Pills will bring down your sugar (as long as you are producing insulin) but do not do so in a speedy fashion. Insulin works faster, much faster… Soylent is a fluid drink. This means that the carbs, low glycemic index or not, hit your stomach a lot faster and get processed quicker. So Soylent is not really appropriate for you. On Insulin, I can take a shot, drink 3 or 4 ounces, wait a half hour or so, have another 3-4 ounces. That’s an advantage of Soylent, you can control the input. But putting that aside, the question for you is whether your sugar is coming down within two hours after eating regular food while on pills. If it is still in the 200’s then stop screwing around with pills, the damage is daily to your body eyes and other organs. Switch to Insulin and you will have much better control of your sugar. You should also be walking A LOT. Daily for 30 minutes to an hour. Food is very important but exercise makes it all work. If you are not seeing a dietitian, especially if you go to insulin, then you should schedule. Also,look at your food, do you have bread and milk in your diet? Sodas? Fruit drinks? Are you high on sugar all the time? If your metabolism is out of wack, it craves sugar.