Soylent 1.4: Why so salty?

What in the world has been done to this stuff?

It tastes like someone poured half a cup of salt into every bag.

Has the sodium content been increased or is something else giving the mixture this salinity?

This has been discussed in many threads already. You might find it helpful to use the search feature in the future.

To answer your question, yes, the sodium was increased in 1.4, to bring it up to the recommended level so people would not need to add it to the mixture on their own anymore.

Some people find it slightly salty in flavor and many do not. (Personal preference.) I personally do not notice any salty flavor, but others have mentioned it. There are many ways to flavor 1.4 to overcome this, which are also discussed in other threads.

I don’t see why I should have to flavor my Soylent in order to mask increased sodium levels. And I honestly could not care less about other threads or what they contain.

If every single person on Soylent created a identical topic asking identical questions, that would be a problem, which is why he pointed it out… but besides that, yes, it was increased to what is a normal healthy amount of salt in a diet.

I have not tasted 1.4 myself yet since I am in Europe, but from what I could gather others saying, it is really different from person to person if they think it is “too salty” or salty at all… some people think it is too sweet, others think it tastes of less, some say it is too salty and others say it is not… well the mind is a strange thing. Are you able to eat salted chips or other salted stuff or do you normally avoid salted stuff?

1. Others might say they don’t see why they need to add sodium to a product that is supposed to provide the recommended daily allowance of everything.
  2. Your view on saltiness/flavor is not the majority.
  3. It is likely that flavor adjustments will be made in future versions, as they have been made up until now.

It was only a suggestion to cut down on forum clutter and assist you in finding answers in the future. There is no need to flout your pretentiousness.

LOL!!
Doesn’t taste salty to me…
Hey did anyone notice they lowered the protein in 1.4?

Yes, pretty much everybody.

I believe that was his point.

Hey, did anyone notice the increase in sodium for 1.4?..did anyone notice lower protein in 1.4?..did anyone notice that there was powdered oil in 1.4?..and so on…

It was only a suggestion to cut down on forum
clutter and assist you in finding answers in the future. There is no
need to flout your pretentiousness

You must be new here. Soylent is at bottom an awful company with a great product. I have nothing but contempt for the people in charge of this operation. The runaround that they put me and other backers through over the years (literally years) is inexcusable and I will continue to drill them at every opportunity when I perceive they have gone astray or screwed something up.

In the world of crowdsourcing a company answers to its backers, plain and simple. I could care less what other customers think of my attitude. I deal all sorts of businesses and Soylent has had (and continues to have) horrible customer relations. I don’t give a damn about forum clutter or anything of that sort. When I have a concern, I will raise it. That is my right as a backer and as a subscriber.

But this forum is not so much for Rosa Labs, it’s for the users of this forum. You’re cluttering our nose to spite their face.

Says the man who joined the discourse in May 2014, to the man who joined the discourse in January 2014. :joy:

No. I read about soylent a long time ago. I went back and looked at emails I sent to people in the past and around June or July of 2013 was when I first started discussing it with people I knew. I can’t remember exactly when I first heard about it, but it was likely around a month or two before that. I have followed the blog postings, news, and forum information since then. I haven’t been consuming Soylent on a regular basis until recently, however.

[quote=“subsume96, post:9, topic:20237, full:true”]Soylent is at bottom an awful company with a great product. I have nothing but contempt for the people in charge of this operation. The runaround that they put me and other backers through over the years (literally years) is inexcusable and I will continue to drill them at every opportunity when I perceive they have gone astray or screwed something up.
[/quote]
They don’t seem that bad to me. They are doing the best they can and have been making steady improvements, at least as far as I can see.
I’m not sure why you are so angry with them.

Someone (perhaps @Conor ) posted a graph a little bit ago about how they have caught up on customer service. That might not be what you are talking about, but they seem to answer customer questions and provide as clear of answers as they can. Much more so than other companies I have seen.

[quote=“subsume96, post:9, topic:20237, full:true”] I don’t give a damn about forum clutter or anything of that sort. When I have a concern, I will raise it. That is my right as a backer and as a subscriber.
[/quote]
You are right that you can create as many topics as you see fit, There is no need to get angry about it. I was only trying to help the forum and help you find your answers. Please accept my apology if I offended you in any way.

False. In the world of companies, a corporation answers to its board. A company is not at all beholden to its crowd sources. One the company delivers what was promised to a backer (or delivered a refund), that backer is owed nothing else. “Plain and simple.”

That’s all good, and whatnot. But with that revelation, it should come as little surprise that other customers (and probably RL) care little about your concerns.

Not sure, at this point, that you should be grading anybody on "horrible customer service.

We have been hard at work with customer service since before I joined the team. Soylent experienced such overwhelming demand it outstripped our capacity to field questions in a timely manner. Thanks to the very hard work of our CS team we have brought down average response time to less than 12 hours.

Thanks! :+1:
I knew you had posted it somewhere, but I couldn’t remember exactly where.

Tastes good to me. Very mildly sweet and oatmealy. Not salty at all. Customer service has been good to me. As of now I couldn’t be happier.

This SOYLENT is making me THIRSTY!

Exactly this. There have been complaints for quite a while now that Soylent didn’t have the necessary sodium in it. So they fixed that and Surprise! Now it tastes more salty! Can’t please everyone, I guess.

45% daily sodium != 100% daily nutrition

Regarding Soylent Sodium Content

1.4 is definitely way, way saltier than 1.3 with an extra 1/4 tsp of salt added. Not sure why, but the saltiness level (at least to my mouth) is way different. It wasn’t so much that I couldn’t stand it (I had other issues with 1.4) but it was definitely a whole lot saltier, for whatever reason.

Perhaps it was because they also switched back to the old potassium at the same time as increasinh the sodium