Soylent 1.5 and weightlifting/bodybuilding

Hello friends,

Newly minted Canadian Soylent user here… my first order of Soylent 1.5 arrived today! I’m trying to figure out how to incorporate Soylent in to my weightlifter-esque diet.

My diet is fairly regulated. I eat about 3100 calories a day split in to 6 meals. Of those 3100 calories, it’s split equally across fat/protein/carbs. Sources for these are as follows:

fat - almost entirely saturated fat (coconut + beef fat).
protein - mostly from whey and beef, but some soy in there too.
carbs - a mix of sugary sports bars + some bread and white potatoes (110g sugars + 31g fibre)

I’m hoping to replace 2000-2500 of my 3100 calories with Soylent 1.5. Biggest differences I notice are that …

1. will need to add more protein ontop of Soylent – can easily do this by chucking in some whey
  2. the fat in Soylent is largely unsaturated – can’t tell if this is a good thing or a bad thing as I’ve been told that saturated fats boost testosterone (this is my biggest concern)
  3. less sugar in Soylent – going to assume that this is a good thing and may result in slightly less BF% fingers crossed

So, my questions to you fine folks are…

1. Do you know of anyone who’s a fairly progressed weightlifter going on a mostly Soylent diet? If so, how did they supplement their Soylent intake (extra protein, vitamins, fats, etc…) and what kind of results did they have? was the lack of saturated fats a concern?

2. How’s the gas situation?

I’m very excited to start taking Soylent! The biggest benefit I see is the massive time savings: I don’t have to spend time going to Costco + don’t have to spend time cooking + don’t have to spend time eating + don’t have to spend time cleaning up afterwards. Another benefit: predictable food costs + deterministic inputs in terms of nutrients. And yet another benefit: less beef (I live close to a farm and sometimes I walk by the fence and I pet the cows! They’re my friends!)

Welcome to Soylent.

Soylent isn’t really designed for athletes. As you noticed it doesn’t really have enough protein for that. For serious weightlifters I would strongly recommend going DIY. You can hit any calorie and macronutrient ratios you want.

As far as saturated fat boosting testosterone goes, unless someone has proof to the contrary, I’m going to call that a myth. Yes saturated fat will raise your cholesterol and testosterone is made from cholesterol but your body will make all the cholesterol it wants and isn’t going to make more testosterone just because there is extra cholesterol in your body. Besides high saturated fat is associated with high bad cholesterol.

If you still want higher cholesterol a better way to do it is with a diet high in monounsaturated fat, like Soylent. Diets high in monounsaturated fat raise your good cholesterol which, if I remember correctly, is what testosterone is made of.

There are several threads here about Soylent and bodybuilding. Yes there isn’t enough protein in Soylent, but that’s easily solved (if you don’t mind the extra calories) by adding some whey protein in.

If I recall properly, the association between saturated fat and endogenous T is overstated.

If you’re causing a substantial calorie deficit by cutting back fat, then you can cause a drop in T - but if the fat you do get comes from saturated fat, you can attenuate this effect. There’s some evidence that a higher ratio of saturated fat will keep your cholesterol levels from dropping while cutting.

But if you’re not cutting, that (possible) mechanism doesn’t come into play.

I wanted different macros. Lower carb, higher fat and protein. I’m cutting (nearing completion). What I do - a “semi-DIY.”

I take stock Soylent. I cut it in half (keep in mind, I’m cutting). Measured with a food scale.

For the other half, I put in:

a) Half of a crushed multivitamin, that has methylated B12 (I’m MTHFR heterozygous), extra D3, and K3.

b) Soy, Rice, and Whey protein powders (I tried to do all vegan, but Soy and Rice have too much iron that way - whey is always a great protein source).

c) Raw cacao (for l-theanine, magnesium, a touch of fat, and flavor).

d) Creatine.

e) L-Acetyl-Carnitine and Taurine (aminos that are non-essential, but nice-to-haves).

f) Fish oil omega-3s.

g) Olive oil (sometimes cut with coconut oil) for good fat calories.

h) Extra salt, choline bitartrate, magnesium (three forms), zinc, and corn dextrin (fiber).

The primary goal: roughly 40/30/30 on the macros, lowered carbs, and enough protein to prevent mass loss while on a deficit. Secondary goals: better processed forms of certain vitamins, good fats, etc.

I have to use a hand-mixer for this, otherwise it clumps.

All-in-all, my process take 10 minutes or less, each night. Less convenient than straight-up Soylent, but not too bad, now that I have the process and precise measurements down.