Soylent 1.5. I'm bloated and fatigued

I’ve read a lot about people experiencing bloat and fatigue in Soylent, but it seems to be all related to 1.0. I’m wondering if 1.5 has solved these issues for everyone who previous had them?

I’m still experiencing them in 1.5 and I need help in figuring out how to solve it.

I’m 5’8, 197lbs and I’ve consumed soylent 100% for the last month.

During my soylent month, I’ve worked out 6 days a week in the morning for 30 to 45 minutes a day at about ~300 calories each exercise, and have lost 10lbs so far. My goal is to lose 30lbs total and then go into maintenance mode. Even though the scale says 10lbs down, I still feel bloated, and I get really sleepy after I drink Soylent, causing me to crash for 4 to 6 hours.

You mention being bloated, does this include more gas than with regular food?

No, I haven’t experienced an increase in gas on Soylent. I’m exactly the same

Could be the 40% fat in it. When i eat food with a lot of fat/oil than usual, similar things happen to me.

have you found a solution @Tark?

How much sleep do you normally get? If it’s the standard 8 hours, after drinking soylent you get a total of 12-14 hours a day, and you have been doing that for a month? Do I understand that correctly?

Let’s see, yesterday I went to bed at 5:00AM, woke up at 10:00AM, crashed around 2:00PM, woke up around 6:00PM so that’s about 8-9 hours a day.

My sleep is broken up into chunks like this

So plus the Soylent-caused sleeping, you have spent most of the time sleeping for the last month. That does sound serious. And yesterday you had Soylent, so that added another 4-6 hours, I suppose. I keep similar hours, believe it or not; I’m glad I’m not the only one.

Wait! Now I understand. It sounds like you are saying that drinking Soylent you sleep 8-9 hours out of 24, a normal amount in total. I misunderstood.

How much Soylent are you consuming daily? Working out 6 days a week is a LOT, so that 2000 kcal might not be cutting it, you may need to supplement your diet.

I drink about 1 pouch a day.

1 in the morning for breakfast, 1 for lunch around noon. 0.5 around 4, 1 for dinner around 7, and sometimes I’ll do 0.5 around 10

4 = 1 pouch

Yes I sleep a normal amount, but it’s broken up into chunks. I’ll try to sleep normal hours this week and see if it’s just the hours that appears to be caused by Soylent.

But the bloating?

Are you expecting to sleep 5 hours a night, and stay awake the rest of the time?

@pauldwaite good point. I’m going to do an experiment and sleep normal hours. 8-10 hours straight through and see if i require naps.

But the bloating?

Oh, I didn’t mean to imply that sleeping 4 hours a night was an unrealistic expectation — maybe before Soylent you usually slept for 4 hours a night and felt fine (some people do that I think).

But if you’re tired from not sleeping very much the night before, then I wouldn’t be surprised if, after eating a decent meal or the Soylent equivalent, you’d fall asleep as your body spent energy digesting the food — especially if you’d also exercised for 45 minutes.

Yeah not sure about the bloating — I haven’t tried Soylent yet, so I don’t even have personal experience to offer. Are you drinking it down fairly quickly, as if it were a drink of water?

@pauldwaite I drink it slowly for about 15-20 minutes

Cool. Yeah, no idea then, that was the only thing that sprung to my mind regarding bloating.

The solution was not eating food with a lot of those in it…it happened to me on regular food. I havent tried soylent yet, but i think it can be assumed it works the same way with soylent too. You could try reducing consumption to a lower percentage for a few days and see.

Edit: Also what agentspiff said, if you are consuming less calories that you should for your activity level it could also be responsible for the fatigue. This also reminds me how is your water consumption? Try to maintain it at the optimum level along with calories and sleep ofcourse.

Update:

Went to bed at 10:00PM, woke up at 6:45am, that’s 8 hours and 45 minutes. Went for a 35 minute run which burned 300 calories. Stretched for 20 minutes, drank a soylent for 25 minutes, showered, started work (i work from home), drank 8oz. of water every hour, had a soylent for lunch at 12:30pm, and now it’s 2:00pm and I’m very tired as if I need a nap.

Without knowing your age I guessed you where in your mid 30’s. According to the Soylent Nutrient Calculator someone your size exercising every day and trying to lose a pound a week needs 2300 calories a day. Soylent isn’t designed for weight loss or athletes. So not only are you at a 1000ish calorie deficit (diet plus exercise) you may not be getting enough protein. A sedentary person your size needs a minimum of 71g of protein per day Soylent 1.5 gives you 80g. During dieting and athletic training your requirement can double. I would suggest adding 62g of whey protein. This will ease your calorie deficit to a more manageable number and give you the extra protein you may be needing.

@horsfield I’m 31, 5’8, 198lbs.
I currently drink 2000 calories worth of soylent each day. That’s 4 meals. Not sure where you get 1000 calorie deficit? I want to make sure I’m not missing something critical.

According to the calculator I should be taking in 2239 which is 239 calories short.

I want to lose 10lbs a month, not 1lb a week. So far I’ve lost 10lbs in 1 month. Shooting for a total of 30lbs in 3 months.

Perhaps I can drink 62g of whey protein after my workout to make up the 239 calories and give me the protein i need?

Note: I’m not lifting heavy weights, but doing cardio and HIIT training. Sometimes I throw in burpees, squats, and rope jumping.