Soylent 1.5. I'm bloated and fatigued

If you selected “lose weight quickly” the calculator deducts 25% of calories from the amount needed to maintain your weight. To exercise every day and maintain your weight you need 2985 calories per day. Since you are only getting 2000 from Soylent you are shorting yourself 985ish calories.

To lose 10lb a month you should have to be shorting yourself 35000 calories a month. 35000 / 30 days = 1167 calories a day deficit.

Losing 10lbs a month could be why you are so fatigued all the time. You are just running out of gas so to speak.

I’m curious what’s the hurry to lose weight?

That would work. Should always have a good amount of protein after a workout, your muscles with thank you. Might be more convenient to add it directly to your pitcher of Soylent and drink that after your workout.

2 Likes

@horsfield how does my workout of 300 calories, and my daily calorie burn of about 500 calories (according to my apple watch) That’s a total of 500 a day, not 800… factor into this?

I want to lose fast because it’s depressing :confused:

There’s a fair amount of research that suggests that intense workouts will actually impede your rate of fat loss.

Intense workouts prompt your body to rebuild/repair, which is an anabolic process - wheras trying to liberate and consume stored fat is a catabolic process. Anabolic and catabolic states are inherently opposites; one is building up, the other is tearing down.

Dieting tends to be more effective for weight loss than exercise, but exercise seems to be more effective for preventing weight gain when on a normal maintenance diet.

If you exercise during a weight-loss diet, it’s usually a good idea to keep it very low intensity, so that you can burn a few extra calories, but without prompting the body to try to have an anabolic response to recover from the exercise. When you provoke an anabolic response, the body doesn’t want to be releasing fat from fat cells - which is a catabolic action.

Also, while dieting, recovery from intense exercise is impaired. Soreness can last extra-long, and fatigue can linger. Recovery is an anabolic response. Much of what bodybuilders and athletes gain when they take steroids is the ability to recover from more exercise, more quickly - they have a very anabolic response.

1 Like

Piggybacking here, to lose weight, eating less is far more important than exercising more.

1 Like

Another data point - Penn Jillette recently lost a lot of weight at a rate much greater than 10 pounds per month (in a medically supervised diet), but did so with virtually no exercise - in fact, while avoiding exercise.

After losing about 100 pounds, he has switched to maintenance - and is now careful to make sure to exercising regularly, both for health, and to avoid regaining.

4 Likes

62g of protein in one, post-workout setting is entirely unnecessary. Anything over about 20g produces no added benefit.

Add extra protein (as @horsfield suggests) after (or right before) you exercise moderately to actively. But not at such an excess as 62g per sitting.

This Men’s Health article spells this out a little more. But the principle can be found in multiple sources, not just Men’s Health.

2 Likes

@ric i was planning on just adding 62g to my daily meal prep of Soylent. Which means I’d have 62g in 4 sittings

1 Like

@mentalnomad are you suggesting that I should stop running 30 minutes every morning and resting Sunday, and do absolutely no working out but just do my 90% soylent diet? (I reserve 10% for when i’m out with friends at a restaurant, but even still I order a nice steak and vegetables only. And maybe a glass of wine or two)

I’ve been wanting an Apple Watch but haven’t gotten one yet.

First off you are burning more than 500 calories just being alive. According to the Soylent calculator you should be burning 1823 calories just being alive. Add actually doing stuff and you come up to about 2200 calories just to maintain your weight. Factoring exercise (which is always hard to do) the calculator guesses you should need close to 3000 calories. I think this is a little high but what ever its just an estimate.

So assuming that 500 is the estimated calories you burn just walking around doing normal non-exersize stuff should bring your needed calories up to 2323 calories. Fairly close to the guesstimate made by the Soylent calculator. If that is indeed the case it seems like your needed calories should be about 2623 per day. So it seems like you are shorting yourself 623 calories. Thats not an unreasonable number.

Thats one of the things I don’t like about both kinds of calorie calculators. All they are really doing is making educated guesses as to how many calories you need and how many you burn. Its hard to quantify what they consider exercise and whether or not what you are doing qualifies as such.

I’m beginning to doubt my original advice.

1 Like

I think we need to take a step back here.

1. In one month, you’ve lost ten pounds. That’s great!

2. You still feel bloated, but nothing to do with gas. So you mean, you still feel fat? See (#1)

3. You work out six times a day, for 35 to 45 minutes a day. That’s awesome. Is it before work? Both the amount of exertion and waking up early might account for crashing at some point during the day.

To surmise: you’re losing ten pounds a month. That’s great! And you’ll probably keep up the pace just on your new caloric intake, even if you exercise less. So exercise less, and kudos to your very impressive weight loss.

1 Like

Dieting sucks because of adaptive thermogenesis. @MentalNomad is spot on about anabolic and catabolic states, so if your goal is only to remove the fat from your chassis then restricted calories with low frequency, low impact exercise is the fastest route. However, after a few months you won’t be able to maintain that weight without cutting your calories even more, because your body really wants to keep its fat in defense of involuntary weight loss. Thanks, evolution!

Now, I don’t mean to sound like an Apple CEO when I say this, but… you don’t want that. Let me tell you what you want. If you get rid of your body fat, you are disposing of hard-earned fuel for strength training. You can begin a routine now and maintain a normal diet, then the fat will start disappearing as you build muscle mass.

Nothing says hubris like quoting yourself…

Dieting is not a long-term solution. If you want that, you need a long-term lifestyle change that starts right now, and doesn’t get there in phases. Your body will adapt to your lifestyle and stay that way. So here are some simple guidelines to get you where you truly want to be:

1. Do strength training every Mon-Wed-Fri or offset days
  2. Eat when you are hungry, but never until you are full
  3. Do not exceed 1/4 of your daily calories in a 4 hour time frame
  4. Get enough protein and ALL of your micros

Soylent makes the last 3 a piece of cake. (awful pun intended)

1 Like

No, I’m not making any specific suggestions - there are always toooooo many details missing to make strong advice based on a casual post, even if I were capable of giving just the right advice on all occasions (which I’m not.) For example, I don’t know how hard you’re running, or how intense your other exercise is… although I know a rapid set of burpees can be killer.

So no, not advising that… But I would suggest that you bear the general principle in mind: the bigger your calorie deficit, the more fatigue you’ll feel from exercise. In significant research, adding intense exercise while eating a substantial calorie deficit may not lead to additional fat loss at all, it may just increase loss of lean tissue.

At the very least, if eating a sustained deficit and working out hard, expect to feel fatigued.

Right now, you’ve lost 10 pounds in a month. That’s pretty big. Like Ric says, congrats!

If the loss is mostly fat (more than 2/3 fat), then you’ve done well, and if you can get used to feeling the way you do, you may want to stick with it. But if the fatigue is getting to you, maybe try changing it up by making some of those runs into brisk walks. The lower energy output level may actually lead to more fat oxidation than more intense exercise (which would draw on carbs and glycogen - and when you later run low on those, the body may draw on lean tissue.).

3 Likes

The strength training Spiff is advocating also does a lot to give your body reason to hang onto the lean tissue.

The catch is that it can also stimulate the appetite. I’m much hungrier when I’m lifting, which affects my dieting. Your experience may be different.

3 Likes

Hey, I finally found a picture of @MentalNomad

When I was told he would crush me in a debate, I thought they meant with compelling arguments.

8 Likes

Strength training will help you lose weight far quicker than aerobic exercise. Your body will continue to burn calories after you stop working out, possibly for days. You will also extend your natural lifespan by being strong.

@AgentSpiff said you don’t need weights, and that’s true, but bodyweight exercises are better seen as conditioning. Barbells are big medicine. With 3 or 4 exercises under (or above) an Olympic bar you can easily hit nearly all your muscles. Starting Strength and Practical Programming are two very good resources. Some of the nutritional advice is… questionable… but the parts about musculoskeletal physiology are spot on.

1 Like

Note to self: never post actual photo…

2 Likes

Sounds to me like you are overtraining, you certainly have all of the symptoms. Try switching up your workout regimen for 2-3 weeks, either to heavy lifting, or to gentle stretching such as yoga. After that, see how you feel.

1 Like

I’m so confused lol. I wish there was someone I could hire who I could meet up with in person, ask me a bunch of questions, analyze my fatty body and come up with a plan for me using soylent as a base. ha

For what it’s worth, you sound like you have a good handle on things so far. You’re definitely not gaining weight lol

Don’t we all. So much conflicting information. So much.

1 Like