Soylent 1.5 = Trans fat?

Soylent 1.5 includes Canola oil instead of safflower and flaxseed oil. But some research seems to indicate that during normal canola oil processing, much of the omega-3s are removed and some are converted to trans fat:

“The standard deodorization process removes a large portion of the omega-3 fatty acids by turning them into trans fatty acids. Although the Canadian government lists the trans content of canola at a minimal 0.2 percent, research at the University of Florida at Gainesville, found trans levels as high as 4.6 percent in commercial liquid oil” ( http://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/the-great-con-ola/ )

It seems like switching to canola oil is not a great choice if Soylent is to remain healthy

Concern over canola oil

The nutrition label claims 0g trans fat.

http://files.soylent.com/pdf/soylent-nutrition-facts.pdf

Presumably there’s no trans-fat added, but was it actually tested for trans-fat? My point is that canola oil in raw form seems to contain no trans-fat, but the normal processing of canola oil creates some trans-fat.

You are essentially ask the wrong people. We don’t know anything that is not publicly available. We can sure debate up one side and down the other about any topic. I suspect that will begin shortly.

With all due respect, an article referring to canola oil as “The Great Con” is not a reputable source of research information. There is a popular anti-canola meme among pseudo-scientific health crowds.

The Gainesville abstract refers to a variety of both soy oils and canola oils, and state the range as 0.56% to 4.6%, which will likely depend on many factors - and the high may be from the soy, not the canola. I don’t have access to the full study, right now - and, as always, it’s one study. You need to consider several studies, reproductions of the results, etc.

Note also that you don’t expect to find 0.0% trans fats… some trans fats are naturally occurring. A hydrogenated vegetable oil (vegetable “shortening”) can be 50% or more trans fat; that’s the stuff you really want to avoid.

Beef and milk contain 2-5% trans fat, as can human breast milk.

According to the USDA, 100 g of canola oil has 0.425 g of trans fats. I’m assuming they actually test samples, since they have a bunch of laboratories, but I could not find a definitive statement.

Soylent 1.5 contains 0.49 g of trans fats total, or 0.1225 g per serving (anything under 0.5 g per serving should be rounded down to zero). If 0.24g of that is from the canola oil, I assume the rest is from the sunflower oil and/or the “mono & diglycerides.”

New news:

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm451237.htm

Based on a thorough review of the scientific evidence, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration today finalized its determination that partially hydrogenated oils (PHOs), the primary dietary source of artificial trans fat in processed foods, are not “generally recognized as safe” or GRAS for use in human food. Food manufacturers will have three years to remove PHOs from products.

Where did you get that from? I agree that it could possibly contain up to that much but the way you worded it it sounds like you think its a fact.

Spreadsheet, page 1.5, cell R3, from the powdered oil.

Never mind looked at the wrong version. @wezaleff is right.

I think you’re looking at the tab for the 1.4 formula, which contained 0.32 g.

I believe the FDA only requires a label for products containing upwards of 0.5 grams of trans fats.

That’s excellent news, Syke! Thanks for posting - I had not yet heard.

Has no impact on Soylent, but still good news that the dangerous stuff that remains is being phased out.

No more PHO Cisco. There are people who will miss it, for cooking with…

Wait, you’re supposed to cook with it? puts down spoon

My pessimistic nature makes me wonder what food manufacturers will replace PHOs with. It’s my understanding that PHOs came about during the big sat fat scare. My thin mints will never be the same.

Huh…
Back when I was on Schmoylent (using canola) I recall doing a little research on canola and found that the heat processing can diminish the omega3 but “cold pressed” oils were better… (??)

Blends of regular liquid oils with hydrongenated oils and Partially Hydrogenated Oils became popular during the sat fat scare because they provide a taste and mouthfeel more like sat fat than vegetable oil does. If you’re not going to fry in lard, a PHO would be more similar than going all the way to vegetable oil.

But PHO were around long before then. For anyone frying in vegetable oil, a PHO will last longer - not burning or fouling - and most people prefer the flavor over vegetable oil. Crisco has been around since, like, 1910… Crystallized Cottonseend Oil: Crisco! They’ve changed the origianl formula a bunch of times, over the years.

Canola oil is bad, not food. It is heated to 300F to make edible, and it’s refined.The info is abundant. It is not a source of Omega 3 fats. It is not made from an edible seed. It is, however, cheep, and raises the profit on anything it’s in Whole Foods is IN LOVE with it, and a large percent of their prepared foods has it added.

• Can something be “not food” and edible (if it also contains nutrients)?
  • Is canola bad solely because it’s refined, or for other reasons?
  • Are all refined foods bad, or just canola?
  • According to the USDA, canola oil contains omega-3 fatty acids (9 g per 100 g).

Do you have any proof to back up those assertions?