Soylent 2.0 bottle vs Happy Meal

A fun comparison! (“Soylent” = 1 bottle Soylent 2.0)

Summary (data):

• Soylent is about the same calories per dollar (slightly fewer)
  • Soylent does better for 7 nutrients & the same for 1 nutrient (protein)
  • Soylent has less total carbs and more fat (proportionally)

Note: If you’re surprised by how healthy Happy meals seem, these calculations average 3 happy meals including enriched milk, yogurt, and apple slices as sides.

Happy meal (average of all 3 options):
Cost: $2.90*
Calories: 493**
Calories per dollar: 170
Fat: 17g (26%)
Saturated Fat: 5g (25%)
Trans Fat: 0.5g
Cholesterol: 38mg (13%)
Protein: 20g
Carbs: 65g (22%)
Sugars: 26g
Fiber: 3g (11%)
Sodium: 677mg (28%)
Vitamins & minerals: Excellent source of vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium and iron.

Soylent 2.0:
Cost: $2.42
Calories: 400
Calories per dollar: 165
Fat: 21g (35%)
Saturated fat: 2g (10%)
Trans fat: 0g
Cholesterol: 0g
Protein: 20g
Carbs: 37g (12%)
Sugars: 9g
Fiber: 3g (12%)
Sodium: 300mg (13%)
Vitamins & minerals: Excellent source of the same 4 above, and 20 others.

Difference (Soylent):
Cost: -$0.48 (cheaper)
Calories: -92 (-4.6% RDA for 2000 calorie diet)
Calories per dollar: -5
Fat: +4g (+9% RDA)
Saturated fat: -3g (-15% RDA)
Trans fat: -0.5g
Cholesterol: -38mg (-13% RDA)
Protein: same
Carbs: -28g (-10% RDA)
Sugars: -17g
Fiber: same
Sodium: -377mg (-15% RDA)
Vitamins & minerals: 20 more provided at 20% RDA

*Prices range from $2.49 ~ $3.29 +tax (source: http://www.fastfoodmenuprices.com/mcdonalds-prices/)
**Average of happy meal nutrition facts found from http://www.mcdonalds.com/content/us/en/meal_builder_us.html

Increased price for Canadian customers

You can’t just look at the total fat. You have to look at the type of fat. Any idea how much saturated fat, trans fat, omega 3,6&9, and cholesterol a typical happy meal has?

Yep, would be nice to know. Same goes for knowing the kinds of carbs, protein and fiber. And the kind of vitamins and minerals really… are they bound to sulfates, chlorides etc.

I liked the comparison for what its worth. I just think it could lead to wrong assumptions without enough detail.

Great feedback. Updated to include total fat, saturated fat, trans fat and cholesterol. I don’t have polyunsaturated and monounsaturated info from McDonalds to compare further :’(

Awesome comparison. I was surprised that a bottle of Soylent 2.0 is cheaper than a happy meal!

I know people complained about Soylent 2.0 cost, but it really is pretty affordable and cheaper than options in much of the US. I definitely can’t find any remotely health prepared option, and preparing fully healthy food every day requires a significant time investment, knowledge, and still costs a pretty penny.

The free toy is missing from this comparison.

Ok, we need ideas for turning the bottle into a toy. :smile:

Where are you getting these percentages on the difference? What does -4.6% percent mean? And the cost doesn’t make sense either, you can’t just compare the cost of the two products. They aren’t the same thing.

Soylent 2.0 is more expensive per calorie. Soylent 2.0 costs $.006 per calorie, or 165 calories per dollar, while the happy meal costs costs $.0058 per calorie, or 170 calories per dollar.

493 - 400 = 93 calories fewer calories

93 / 493 * 100 = 18.86% fewer calories

Apparently the OP did his math wrong.

How are they not the same thing? They are both food and a complete meal.

Like I said, they aren’t the same. We’re not comparing equal amounts of food so the price alone is not an appropriate comparison. The happy meal is more food, that’s why you need to look at the cost per calorie. The Soylent is a more expensive meal, not cheaper.

A better way to compare the two would be to scale all values to equal amounts of calories.

Like I said, I don’t see how they are different. Please explain.

I see your point. The comparison should be between equal calorie counts. Either 493 calories of Soylent or 400 calories of Happy Meal.

The comparison is apples to apples on a per meal basis. 1 bottle of 2.0 vs 1 happy meal, the nutrition information of which taken by average. You give up caloric proportionality when comparing by meal and you give up realism when comparing by calories.

You could chew the bottle caps off, my dog loves that.

Oops! That percentage was the difference in RDA. I’ve updated the original post with a graphic to make that clearer.

Yea, good point.

Interesting: If you use the 20% offer from the other thread Soylent 2.0 Coupon for new subscribers, then Soylent goes from being 3% fewer calories per dollar, to 22% more calories per dollar :slight_smile:

The graphic makes this so much easier to comprehend.

Based on the new Big Mac prices https://secretmenus.com/mcdonalds/full-menu/ - since I don’t eat happy meals, but this comparison still holds pretty strong. Plus, my experience with Soylent has been that I stay full for longer. Not sure if that’s just me, but I get stuffed after eating a big mac and then hungry like an hour later, so it defeats most of the purpose.
https://secretmenus.com/mcdonalds/full-menu/

I was amazed at how close it was, until I noticed its not how most people order a happy meal :stuck_out_tongue: .
Should be:
-Coke instead of “enriched” milk
-Fries instead of apple slices
That would throw it off a bit!

I once tried to be good and get apple slices. The sealed bag had one slice, and a lot of air, inside…