Soylent 2.0 Digestive Problems Not Going Away

Hi there,

I’ve been consuming Soylent 2.0 for near 3 months now, averaging 3 bottles a day, sometimes up to 5. Everything’s great except I’ve been having diarrhea fairly often. Not only that, but maybe once every 2 or 3 days, when I have a bottle within about 5 minutes I have a stomach gurgle and it’s straight to the bathroom – it seems to force out whatever I’ve got in my gut at the time (say, if I had a salad a few hours earlier, that undigested salad is in the bowl), which is a bummer. Overall, the ease of consumption has kept me consuming it, and I’d hoped that this issue would die down as my body got used to it, and although it probably has improved a bit since April, the frequent diarrhea and occasional immediate gut reaction is a pretty big bummer.

I did a bit of googling around and saw that people suggested trying a probiotic supplement. I got a 30 days supply from my local pharmacy and took it every day in May, but it didn’t really make a noticeable difference. I’ve also seen the suggestion of adding fibre (in the form of psyllium husks or other), but I’m thinking that fibre might not necessarily be the issue since I sometimes have quick and violent gut evacuations right after having a bottle as mentioned above. Definitely seems like there’s something in it my body’s not so big on. I don’t have any known food allergies or sensitivities, though.

So, I was wondering if anyone else has had similar issues that they couldn’t get past by using probiotics, and if they’ve had any success. Or if anyone has any suggestions about how to zero in on what might be going on?

Pure speculation, but maybe it’s the salad?

I understand that was an example. But maybe it is whatever else you eat before the Soylent.

I’ve noticed, since adopting a 50% Soylent diet, that some foods (especially salad and soda) race thought my system. As if my system has adjusted to the digestibility of Soylent, and forgotten what it is like to digest salad.

Thanks for the thought! While I haven’t done any real bookkeeping regarding what I’d eaten before the Soylent when this happens, it happens within minutes of drinking the Soylent regardless of how far in the past the last meal was (for example, the salad was several hours before). This also happens when my last several meals have been Soylent. So, with that, there seems to be pretty solid evidence that the Soylent is causing the exodus in these instances.

Sounds like an allergic reaction to me. Food allergies generally result in one of two possible reactions: a rash or diarrhea. I know both reactions well. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’d recommend either getting an allergy test for soy and other common allergens, or going off the Soylent until the symptoms cease, then eating some soy protein (the main allergen in Soylent) to see if you have a reaction.

You can also try adding additional fiber to see if that helps. Plain psyllium husk is what I used.

Is there any difference of cold vs warm? I’m on 2.0 and I always get a bit of nausea after consuming. It’s worse when I drink it warm. Haven’t added psyllium husk to it in a while so can’t comment on that, but I try to make sure I follow the Soylent with water, preferably cold water. For whatever reason, it helps to ease the upset, but it’s still there until it’s out of my stomach. Not sure if this will help you much.

If you are open to experimenting you can also try digestive enzyme capsules. If it’s an allergic reaction they wouldn’t do you much good but might help if something else is going on.

I second the the idea of extra fiber. I was getting diarrhea after eating a bottle of Soylent also, but having fiber before I eat a bottle generally helps. I generally use fiber gummies, but I ran out and had to go back to the psyllium husk fiber in the morning and that seems to be working better for what it’s worth.

It sounds like you’re thinking fiber is to help with constipation, but it really helps with both constipation and diarrhea:

That said…

That seems odd to me, after a few hours a salad should be pretty well digested regardless of what you eat next. You might want to talk to a doctor…

A Bloomberg article from November 2016 ( says, “Soylent said it hasn’t received complaints from people who consumed its premade drinks, which also have high oleic algal oil but not algal flour.” Really? Here are some here in this forum, this very thread. And I’m here to make another one. When I read the words, “within about 5 minutes I have a stomach gurgle and it’s straight to the bathroom,” boy, could I relate!

I’ve been subscribing for about a year and a half, one case a month, and more or less keeping up with it. I have them delivered to my office as I tend to drink it there if I can’t get out for lunch (or to replace the breakfast I didn’t have). And I haven’t kept close tabs on what else I’m eating. But more than a few times it certainly has appeared that there is a connection between the days that I drink Soylent 2.0 and the days that I have extreme GI distress. So I have temporarily at least cancelled my subscription to see what happens. I could have other things going on too, not sure. But with the amount of uncertainty here, it seems a possibility that I need to isolate and explore. Thanks for the above details and information, it helps a lot.

Congratulations on finding 3 people who reported an issue over a year ago.

Obviously it’s possible that Soylent, or even Algal Oil, was responsible. But it’s a natural human tendency to draw causation from correlation. If you really want to determine whether you have a personal problem with Soylent, I’d “keep closer tabs on whatever else you’re eating”.

Also worth noting the only flavor that still has Algal Oil is the Original.