Soylent 2.0: Glorious! Absolutely glorious!

1 Like

Just drank a bottle this morning after it has been chilling in the fridge overnight. People were right – it tastes even better chilled. I couldn’t help but chug the whole thing down, :smiley:

See…’‘S’’ could mean anything.

The thing is even if it sparks curiosity people not might ask the person drinking it, what it is. But if they see ‘Soylent’ printed on it big enough, they’l know.

1 Like

Sounds like a winner. Out of curiosity, are you guys refrigerating your whole supply at once, or just a day’s worth at a time? My roommates wouldn’t appreciate me taking over the whole fridge with bottles, so what’s the shelf life difference between keeping your whole stock cold vs leaving most of it in the pantry until you need it?

Absolutely no difference in shelf life. You can keep it at room temperature at all times and drink it at room temperature too and it’ll be just fine. It just tastes better chilled, that’s all.

The only caveat is, if you open a bottle and drink some of it, you’ll need to put it in the refrigerator to keep it from going bad.

Personally I have my own 1.4’ x 1.4’ mini-fridge, so I put all 12 bottles in there. It used to contain cans of coke, but I’m replacing them with Soylent – much healthier! :smile:

3 Likes

I just ordered 48 bottles. We’ll see how the canola oil and sucralose treat me, in the past I have had unpleasant reactions to both. :frowning:

But the most important question (for me) - Does it have the same effect as powdered Soylent? That being a feeling of satiety. Obviously, it’s (relatively) pointless if you feel like you need a second bottle thirty minutes later.

[Edit: Hmmm. I might be overstating the purpose of 2.0. At only 400 calories per bottle (where powdered is 500-550), is this more of a supplement than a replacement?]

It seems to me like they wanted folks to be able to have more granular control over their consumption. Instead of 1500, 2000, or 2500; we now have the ability to easily consume 1200,1600,2000, or 2400 calories per day (or whatever amount)

1 Like

Marketing gimmick. They can advertise “Only $2.42 per bottle”, instead of “$3.03 per bottle” if they were 500 cal bottles.

I’d call it a snack. Usually a “meal” of Soylent for me is 600-750 kcal.

Previously, I thought that there was no logo at all on the bottles so I thought they were trying to be environmentally friendly or something. If you are going to have a logo at all then just make it a normal sized one? or at least make it go all the way around the circumference of the bottle so that its visible from all sides.

They actually advertise it as “$2.42 per 400 kcal,” not per bottle. Presumably it would say $3.03 per 500 kcal if they sold 500 calorie bottles.

Yes, and they chose smaller bottles so that the price would look smaller.

I would assume there were other considerations on the bottle size beyond marketing. (some might be: optimal size for shipping, retail shelves or vending machines, conforming to industry standards for beverages in some way, production ability, consumer preferences, etc.)

That isn’t to say that marketing wasn’t a factor, just that it likely wasn’t the only factor.

3 Likes

You’d like that to be true, but I don’t find any of those indications in the real world. Square sided bottles (like Odwalla) would be more space efficient. Larger bottles are less waste, more space efficient, etc. ~20 oz bottles (most sodas, Vitamin Water, etc.) are in abundance in vending machines.

Another company is producing the Soylent. They likely had a limited number of bottle sizes to choose from. See this thread:

3 Likes

Yep, you’re right @Zenman, the 14oz bottle is the largest of it’s type offered by their manufacturer. Here’s the link to their packaging options: http://www.jasperproducts.com/Packaging_Types.html. So RL would need to switch manufacturers to use a different bottle.

7 Likes

Good find codemaker.

Yeah this sounds good too.