Soylent 2.0 Goals

I’m just curious as to what the goals of Soylent 2.0 are going to be?

I’ve heard rumblings that one of the goals will be to make Soylent vegetarian - I assume by locating a reliable source of DHA+EPA Algae oil, or a mixture of Algae and Flaxseed oil… But is this true? And is it a requirement of the Soylent 2.0 end goal, or just a possibility that’s being explored?

Additionally will Soylent 2.0 involve starting a flavored Soylent line?

I believe some of the main goals are:

• Vegan Soylent (either for all, or as-option)
  • Specialized Soylent (athletic, activity level, etc)
  • Super-specialized Soylent (customizable) (probably not any time soon)
  • Flavors (maybe)
  • Separately packaged sucralose/etc

There may be a few more, but I can’t think of them off the top of my head. I’ll edit/make another post if I do later :stuck_out_tongue:

Let’s rename the thread in "What do we wish for Soylent 2.0"
Those are mine:

• Lower price due to higher volume and optimization of cost-critical items: As the nutritional value for standard soylent is fixed by human needs, optimize for lower cost.
  • Clinical-trials-approved formula: that’s somethingm, which almost no other nutrition drink in the wild has.
  • Vegetarian + Vegan Soylent
  • High-Protein + (maybe) Kreatin version for athletes
  • A pre-mixed version as well as a solid bar
  • carefully include other beneficial stuff found in plants
  • And most important: Stay true :wink:

One word: Nootropics.

That’s my greatest wish. :slight_smile:

Those you can add on your own.

As above.

no tropics can be a little harder to fix in the no tropic jungle of garbage

I would like to see some different version of soylent. If there is one science where scientist don’t agree, then it is the science of human health. If you ask the advice from one health expert, he will tell you: “You should lower the carbs in your mixture of soylent.” If you ask an other health scientist, he will tell you, "no no no, you should lower the protein, too much protein is associated with this and this, carbs is the main fuel of the human body, you should add more carb instead! "

And you can go on like this. Some expert will say: “Saturated fats should be minimized in the diet”. An other one will say “Saturated fat is the healthiest of all fat.” One will say that it is health to consume 3000 mg of vitamin C, etc. etc. And the list goes on…

• cholersterol is essential vs unhealthy
  • calcium rda is unhealthy vs consume liters of milk
  • sugar is toxic vs the fuel designed for the human body
  • PUFA are toxic vs PUFA are the healthiest fat
  • animal proteins provide the human body with the master oxidant glutathione vs animal proteins are associated with this and that cancer

If I was soylent, I would stay complete out of this debate. But ask different experts to come with what kind of soylent they would recommend.

Ask Food and Nutrition Board of the National Academy of Sciences, and they will give you something that probably looks at soylent 1.0.

Ask Ray Peat, and he will give you this soylent:
high in sugar, caffeine, salt, vitamin C,almost no omega 3 or 6, high saturated fat, carrots fibre added, gelatin as primary protein source, added cholesterol, low in iron, etc .etc.

Ask Mercola, he will give this soylent:
high in fat, less than 25 gram of sugar, low in carbs, high in vitamin D3, vitamin K2, astaxanthine, etc. etc. and all of very expensive natural supplements

I’d like to see a dirt cheap soylent. Obviously it’s possible to get it around $1 a day, as these forums have shown. I imagine the taste and texture would be considerably less desirable, but I think it would be nice to have the option for those who really can’t afford the more costly stuff.

I’m not familiar with that diet, but I’m a big fan of gelatin and take it every day for my joints. I’ve been wondering how feasible it would be to mix into Soylent, and wondering about the likelihood of eventually having an official version of Soylent with gelatin included. I can’t imagine it having a good texture unless it’s served warm.

http://greatlakesgelatin.com/storefront/consumer/hydrolysate/collagen-hydrolysate-1.html

This form of gelatin can be mixed with water (unheated). I’ve done this many times in my DIY soylent,

+1 on dirt cheap / reduced price

Information:
If you were to dehydrate the body the molecules, particles, atoms left would have a market value of about 2-5 cents american if my memory servers. The DIYers who make it at 1$/day or less are still paying a mark-up on the things they are buying. The taste and texture should be same as it is now. To purchase all the ingredients in Soylent now is >2$/day, and that is at low volume with mark-up from retailers. Soylent Inc. could possibly sell Soylent at 1$ a day and still have a 50-100% mark-up/profit. Rob, you better have a patent on this thing.

Disclaimer: This is through my own education/experience. Feel free to respectfully correct me if I am wrong.

The primary goal for Soylent 2.0 is to ship 1.0 to backers and then to develop a stable business by having enough satisfied repeat customers and new customers.

Or, we could ask questions like: “What are Rosalab’s plans for dealing with the effects zero gravity has on taste with regards to Soylent when it is the primary food source for human missions to Mars?”

“All right! There are thousand things that have to happen in order we are on number 8, you’re talking about number 692.”

• Jim Lovell played by Tom Hanks in the movie Apollo 13

I make DIY soylent and I will not be switching until official Soylent becomes cheaper. Also, research into nutrition would be cool.

I want to see them do (or outsource) clinical trials on statistically significant populations with v1.0, and base v2.0 on the results. Soylent ought to be the perfect nutrition research tool.

It’s actually somewhere between $160 dollars and $45million dollars. Depending on how far you break it down.

I want to second the wish that Soylent can provide a better nutrition tool than anything nutritional researchers are using now. Right now, nutrition research is done by the observational statistics model. Which leads to all sorts of strange and contradictory results. The problem is, of course, that there is no way of doing double-blind tests on various nutritional mixes (protein/carb/fat or vitamin/mineral). If the test subjects were using a Soylent type of product, the two populations can be separated into categories and monitored for differences.

Eve

I’d be interested to see a soylent recipe generator that would be able to meet demands. Say you walted a vegan soylent you can bake into bars. Done. A muscle-building soylent that uses only products from a list you provide (because you can find them locally). Sure. With a sufficiently robust database, you could even (gasp!) build a sustainable self-sufficiency soylent, like “eat XX of the carrots you grow, YY ounces of each of the 3 algaes in your photobioreactors, and ZZ grams of yeast”. A calculator like that could, in theory, make it easy for anyone to generate a good recipe for them without having to pore over endless lists of this and that. Bit of a knapsack problem, I think. And maybe it’s already been discussed. Maybe it’s already been done! If so, disregard this post.

I would love to see separately packaged sucralose as I do not wish to consume it at all.

at least it could be worth to try it before you trow it out the window. consider that the Sucralose is such a smal percentage of the pullover + 2l water, compared to other Sucralose containing beverages