Soylent 2.0 may have the perfect carb-fat-protein ratios for sustained weight loss

I read the following article and was pleased to learn that Soylent appears to have an ideal carb-fat-protein ratio for sustained weight loss with the least negative side effects.

It’s like the Mediterranean Diet in a bottle! It’s certainly worked well for me thus far. I dropped 35 pounds over 7 months drinking 75% Soylent and have held steady at this weight for 6 months. Feeling great too.

Really cool. I just hope they go completely algae. Soy also has this negative image which could keep a lot of people away from it. A completely algae based soylent that is also gluten free, lactose free, and kosher certified eventually, will see much more sales than now.

On another note, i hope they find a way to raise salt without making it salty. 1500mg is on the lower side of the recommended intake. When eating less and losing weight i used to get lightheaded due to lowered salt intake and when i added some salt the light headed-ness was gone. Granted this is just anecdotal but i feel others would experience the same. Raising the salt content will also take care of the headaches felt by some due to the sudden increase of potassium consumption from soylent, as compared to their pre-soylent diet.

I find 1.5 more perfect in terms of satiety :slight_smile:

what’s wrong with salty?

I also need extra salt (low blood pressure), but it’s easy to add salt, while people who need to restrict salt intake have difficulty finding easy food options.

I agree 1.5 “sticks to the ribs” a bit more than 2.0, but I find it so much easier not to have to mix it every day.

It’s funny how we adjust to each version. I’ve always found it hard to accept the new versions, but then after a few weeks on the new one, I cannot go back to the old one. When I taste 1.5 now it seems way too thick.

Well in terms of taste and convenience, 2.0 is far superior.

But when it comes to planning and sticking to a diet, 1.5 is better. Mixing the powder and cleaning afterwards every day kind of forces you to remember what you are doing and why. It helps instil some discipline, I find. Also since you are spending time to prepare it anyway, you can choose exactly how many calories you will eat per day.

With 2.0, the convenience mindset kicks in … and it’s easy to forget that you’re on a diet when you don’t have the daily preparation ritual.

Not sure I agree. Both forms of Soylent are so different from normal food, it’s hard to forget that I’m on a special diet.

What I really appreciated about 1.5 is the ability to “dial-in” the exact amount of calories I wanted without feeling like I was wasting Soylent.

As I think about it, I could do the same with 2.0 by just screwing the cap back on and storing the unused portion in the fridge. Funny how our minds work…

I don’t think 2.0 is that different from normal food. It’s a pleasant drink in a bottle, how radical!

I’m not sure why the article dismissed the effectiveness of the low-carb diet. The study summary appears to conclude the low-carb diet to be most effective.

Time to read the whole study…

Ok, what I’m seeing is low-carb is most effective for losing the weight, but then switching to a balanced diet for maintenance is good for health reasons. Sounds like a decent plan.