Soylent 2.0 packaging fail

I always carry around a full, sealed bottle of 2.0 in my backpack, just in case I get hungry. Today, I opened my backpack to find that the seam of the bottle had split along the bottom and had leaked all over the contents of my backpack, ruining important paperwork and expensive electronics, and leaving a difficult-to-clean sticky residue and odor all over the interior of the backpack.

Do not trust Soylent 2.0 bottles.

Very disappointed to discover that they don’t use higher quality packaging.

Thinker bottles cost more and the price is already high.

Ultimately these bottles take a lot of abuse in shipping. The failure rate is extremely low but it does happen. In these instances we replace the entire box. I’m sorry to hear about the leak. Reach out to info@soylent.com and our CS team can assist you.

Were you using a bottle from early 2016 (pre-March I believe) that didn’t have a foil seal between the lid and bottle?

You have been a member of the Forum for over 2 years and say you always carry a bottle of 2.0 around like this. In 2 years you have 1 bottle break on you and your complaining that no one should trust the 2.0 bottles. Maybe you should be a little more careful with how you handle your backpack so it does not break next time.

Soylent 2.0 hasn’t existed for two years.

I’ve been using Soylent since its initial 1.0 release and been on this forum for years, but I only switched to 2.0 a few months ago. The bottle did have a foil seal, and it was the bottom of the bottle that failed, not the top.

I did not handle the backpack roughly, but it was 87 degrees outside and perhaps that was enough to increase the pressure inside the bottle to the breaking point (although I would hope the bottle could withstand higher temperatures than that). My concern is whether this indicates that all Soylent bottles are prone to failure in outdoor temperatures (I live in Seattle, so usually it is quite cool, this is the first time I think I’ve had a bottle outside in over 80 degrees).

Even if it’s a 1 out of 300 kind of thing, I wish someone had warned me “Don’t trust the Soylent 2.0 bottles”, because trust means I put it in a compartment with important papers and electronics. Lack of trust means I have to put the bottle inside of something else, like a ziploc bag, or not bring it at all. This is why I shared this information – if the situation were reversed and it had happened to someone else, I would want to know there is a reliability issue so I would be forewarned. I’ve never had this problem, for example, with a sealed drinking water bottle (which has plastic even thinner than soylent bottles, I think).

Couldn’t agree more. You might be able to call the backpack manufacturer themselves and ask them why they didn’t build a waterproof compartment within the bag. You have every reason to be upset.

If they give you the cold shoulder, maybe try one of these:

Figured I’d have this problem eventually so I got one last time I got a backpack. Hasn’t failed me yet!

From the description it appears that the dry sack’s intent is to protect things inside the sack from wetness outside of the bag. It’s not clear from the description whether the coating on the material would work the other way and protect other things in my backpack if I were to put soylent inside the sack. If it really works both ways, I would consider getting this product as a way to isolate the soylent bottles from other things in my backpack. Also, could you comment on the ease of use of the fastening mechanism at the top of the dry sack? I can’t tell from the dimension information - are they super big, intended for camping-sized backpacks, or are they small enough to fit in the laptop-computer backpack I’m talking about?

I sense that people are surprised that I failed to anticipate the leakage. I’ve used thousands of thin, plastic disposable water bottles in my life and never had one fail. Over the course of the last few months, I’ve probably had twenty or so Soylent bottles in my backpack (usually they sit there for about a week before I end up drinking them). This bottle was only in there for one day, no rough handling, and only “stress factor” was above average outdoor temperatures. Nothing in my experience suggests that plastic bottles can fail in this way, with the seam along the bottom just splitting open and leaking, and I think it’s reasonable to be surprised and disappointed by the failure.

The bottles do seems to be pretty thin, but I have never had one break. Nor have I ever heard of someones splitting like yours did before. Until we get other people reporting that there bottles are breaking along the seam, I can not agree with your statement about not trusting them and needing a higher quality container for them. I am just going to have to consider this a very rare manufacturing defect of that 1 particular bottle. There must be thousands of bottles that have shipped so I would say the chances of this is like 1 in 10,000 until proven wrong.

However, despite our difference of opinion, I am sorry to hear it caused you so much trouble.

If the bottles were sturdier that would mean even more environmental damage (more plastic, heavier so more fuel consumption during shipping, etc).

I got accidentally sent some Soylent 2.0 (I live in the UK), and I think two of the bottles split a little during the trip across the Atlantic.

They didn’t actually split enough to leak fully, but the box ended up absorbing about half a bottle’s worth. It does get pretty sticky and gross eh.

My opinion is that you should not only not trust Soylent bottles but you should stop trusting plastic bottles in general as much as you indicate that you have for your entire life when they are in the same compartment as something that you think is particularly valuable. Even if the odds against something happening is one in tens of thousands that still would be very inconvenient if it leaked. It’s extremely doubtful that this company is the only maker of a plastic bottle that has ever leaked.

Probably a good idea to just get some larger sized sandwich or freezer zip lock bags and put the bottle in that just to be sure.

I had one empty bottle in my car that I had put the top back on after finishing it and I think the little bit of Soylent that was in the bottom started to ferment or something because the bottle had puffed up to the point where the bottom was convex rather than concave (I’m sure the temp in my car was in the 90’s sitting in the sun with the windows rolled up). It didn’t cause the bottom to split at the seam though.

Even with higher quality packaging there could be occasional manufacturing defects that could lead to a problem.

So I agree with the original post ‘Do not trust Soylent 2.0 bottles’.

Probably a lot hotter.

Look into Zpacks. I do use them for camping/backpacking, and they would work for you, too. Super light and easy to use. Comes in different sizes. Once you put whatever inside, you close the top (most even have velcro around the inside top rim), roll it down however far you want, then clip the ends together. I’d say they’re too big for a single bottle, but for a few I’d consider it. Also look into a zip pouch(es) to protect electronics etc. I’ve used these things for a number of years and can attest to their usability, effectiveness, and durability.

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/dry_bags.shtml
http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/zip_pouches.shtml