Soylent 2.0 Tastes Like Plastic

Just tried the Soylent 2.0 bottles after finishing our Soylent 1.5 stock. I was excited to try it, but was mildly disappointed to find that it tastes like the plastic bottle it is packaged in. Tastes strong to me especially since Soylent doesn’t taste like much. Hoping the team would rethink the packaging for the next upgrade (Soylent 2.5?). Glass bottles would be better - both for taste and the environment. Perhaps encourage customers to return glass bottles by reimbursing cost of the bottles (or discounting next Soylent purchase)? Just a thought.

First non-foil batch of 2.0 tastes funny - shoe polish?

You must be extremely sensitive to flavors!

I am very sensitive to plastic flavors incorporating in liquids. I am also sensitive to dissolved solids and chlorine flavors in tap water so I do use a Zero Water filter, I use BPA free containers when I use plastics.

I haven’t noticed a plastic flavor drinking 2.0. I can taste the glue residue from the seal, but not plastic.

First there was “Soylent tastes like cardboard” and now “2.0 tastes like a plastic bottle.” Maybe the instructions should be updated to explicitly point out that Soylent’s packaging is not supposed to be eaten.

Woah there was just stating an opinion, don’t need to be all snarky/sarcastic. Obviously didn’t eat the packaging. Duh.

Woah there it was obviously a joke, don’t need to be all sensitive/literal. Duh.

So funny I forgot to laugh? That’s not a joke…

This, now this is a joke… http://tinyurl.com/h7fht77

How do you know what the plastic bottle tastes like?

Once you notice the plastic tastes plastic bottles have, it’s hard not to notice. I personally notice platic bottle taste in water bottles… But it doesn’t bother me.

How long was it stored before you got to it? Was it stored in a climate-controlled environment? Also, have you tried pouring it into a glass first? Maybe you’re catching a whiff of the bottle as you take a drink and that’s influencing the taste.

Of course, now that you mentioned this, I’m tasting it very slightly also. Le sigh.

Perhaps this is a psychological phenomenon rather than physical?

Really it isn’t, but that doesn’t mean that being able to smell/taste the plastic makes it bad. :slight_smile:

Oh I’m sorry I thought it was just a plastic taste. Is there a plastic scent too?

Glass would increase shipping weight dramatically, making it more expensive? It’s heavy enough as it is.

No need to be snarky… Taste and smell are linked most of the time… I am not claiming anything psudosciience related…

I have not tried 2.0 either, so I am not saying it tastes like plastic… But that dorsn’t mean someome else saying they taste plastic is invalid. It isn’t uncommon for some people to notice that taste.

I’ve never noticed a smell or taste to a plastic drink bottle in my life. Soylent, water, soda, whatever. I still think it’s absolute nonsense.

Most people wont notice it, and it is often subtle… But really it also depends on the specific bottle/plastic used.

Soylent just tastes “odd” to me, so I just use milk chocolate or strawberry to make it taste great.

Yeah, most likely in my case. I never tasted anything but Cheerios milk before that.

Someone saying that something is nonsense if we don’t experience it ourselves, is naive. Nativity aside, people taste, hear, and smell things others do not. For example, PTC (Phenylthiocarbamide) - some people don’t taste anything while others taste bitter, I taste bitter.

I’m skeptical of any claim with no evidence to support it.

PTC is a great example of an actual compound. Even if it’s only experienced by some people, we can detect it. You know what we can’t detect? Things that aren’t there.