Soylent and alternatives around the world, part 3

As the next 6 distributions popped up, here’s the part 3 of our series:

Part 2 is here, part 1 here.

As before, any feedback is welcome and any incorrect statements will be fixed promptly.

Has anyone tried Ka’chava?

I’m not sure that it has enough calories to be considered soylent as opposed to a supplement.
I’d be interested in hearing other peoples thoughts.

Thanks for the nice summaries of available soylent alternatives around the world.

But I personally think the mention of maltodextrin as a con is based on a personal preference or belief. Scientific research and personal experiences of users has failed to show any negative effects on both health, insuline spikes and/or blood sugar levels.
Not really fair to give the idea that it is something bad is it? Think the best comparisons can be made with good scientific back-up of the facts.

However, more attention could be given to vitamin and mineral sources which are highly bio-available, or omega 3 sources.
Many recipes use forms of vitamins which are poorly absorbed by the body. The same can be said for omega 3 from plants (flaxseed, chia, soy, etc.) which almost has no use for the human body.

Can a DIY fruit salad at home provide all the macros and micros the body needs?

Take a few peanuts, some sunflower OR pumpkin seeds and some chia seeds, a couple of sliced or mashed bananas, an apple, a bunch of grapes and raisins, and some cocoa powder in a bowl and add some milk to it and sugar for taste and calories. A slice or two of bread and some honey can also be added to hit the levels. Quantities can be adjusted to be intune with recommended intakes.

So will this concotion take care of all the macros and micros?

Not to be consumed everyday of course (because of the peanuts), but occasionaly.

Edit…for the EPA/DHA consume a fish oil pill after. :smiley:

Oops that doesnt take care of the salt. Some salt added to water can be consumed later, but is there a more elegant solution?

This might make a good topic of it’s own. I would start it myself but have little interest in anything like muggle food.

So the topic I’m thinking about is whether soylent (the “movement” not the individual product) could cause “normal” food to be though out better. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a cook book or cook show where they were trying to actually provide a nutritionally complete meal in the way that soylent does. By that I mean, I eat three meals a day so each should have 667 kcal and 33% of my daily nutrition. Or big breakfast and small dinner but still 100%.

So maybe you could put a bunch of stuff into salad dressing that would still taste good and make up for whatever is missing in the rest of the salad? Maybe chef’s could aim at 100% nutritionally complete meals? So far all I’ve ever seen, the goal was looks good or tastes good. Could the soylent movement pull normal cooking in a whole now direction?

I thought peanuts were healthy. I hope so, I eat peanut butter every day.

They are said to be goitorgenic.

But i am not sure if peanut ‘butter’ is.