Soylent and GERD

Has anyone with Acid Reflux tried Soylent? I’m very curious about how it would react to such a condition or others related such as hiatal hernia, hearburn etc

I am very curious about this as well!

I heard that a mixture of melatonin, the B vitamins, and maybe a couple other things had a 100% success rate in eliminating heartburn symptoms—according to a single (not repeated) study—compared to only something like 80% on the generic form of Prilosec. I can look up more details if interested.

Interestingly, as a person who hasn’t suffered heartburn in a long time, it came back this morning a few days after adding B-complex to my rudimentary mix (but no melatonin or anything else that study suggests). A quick Google could probably find the study I’m referencing, but I just woke up and am too lazy.

For the lazy:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/429629-how-to-use-melatonin-to-treat-acid-reflux/

Found the article and the mixture that had a 100% success rate in this select trial is melatonin, l-tryptophan, methionine, betaine and the B vitamins B6, folic acid and vitamin B12.

A single blind randomized study was performed in which 176 patients underwent treatment using the supplement cited above (group A) and 175 received treatment of 20 mg omeprazole (group B). Symptoms were recorded in a diary and changes in severity of symptoms noted. All patients of the group A (100%) reported a complete regression of symptoms after 40 days of treatment. On the other hand, 115 subjects (65.7%) of the omeprazole reported regression of symptoms in the same period.

Pereira, R. d. S. (2006), Regression of gastroesophageal reflux disease symptoms using dietary supplementation with melatonin, vitamins and aminoacids: comparison with omeprazole. Journal of Pineal Research, 41: 195–200. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-079X.2006.00359.x

Been doing some research and it seems the innitial cause for the apparent cause of GERD (the lack of enough HCl in the stomach while digesting) would be a lack of nutrients. This is what I’ve found so far: http://www.annlouise.com/blog/2012/06/26/the-digestive-glitch-that-blocks-weight-loss/
I guess this would mean that with the proper amount of nutrients (which Soylent seems to offer), the digestive system would get back on track, the innitial cause of the malfunction being succesfully eliminated. I will look more into this and post my subsequent findings. Thanks for the replies so far! They’ve been very helpful

Some very anecdotal evidence: I’m prone to periods (on the order of weeks long) where I’ll experience acid reflux a time or two daily; it’s usually when I’m stressed. Since I started using Soylent about a week and a half ago, I haven’t felt the symptoms once – but then, it could just be that I’m in a non-GERD phase right now. If I start to flare up, I’ll report it.