Soylent and Gluten

Hello,

I read this section of the soylent website about gluten: Link.

I have celiac disease and was wondering a few things:

Is 1.5 worth trying? Are there any reports from other celiac people who were fine with it?

Will 1.6 be gluten “free” (no cross contamination)?

How many parts per million does 1.5 have?

Thank you very much :slight_smile: :penguin:

1.0 was around 20 ppm, while 1.5 and 2.0 are only stated as being more than 5 ppm. Progress? Maybe, hopefully. Probably safe to say it’s in the range of 5-20 ppm.

While no ingredient in Soylent 1.5 or 2.0 naturally contains gluten… the final mixture of Soylent is tested to have more than 5 parts-per-million of gluten…

@OmegaJeff discovered he is celiac while on Soylent, last I knew it was still working for him. No one else comes to mind at the moment.

No oat flour; does 1.7 really contain gluten?

I’m reasonably sure that Rosa Labs (the company than makes Soylent) haven’t made any promises regarding gluten-free Soylent, and given the “significant challenges” bit on the page you linked to, I’m guessing they’re not expecting to be gluten-free in the near future.

But: fingers crossed.

From the nutrition info page on 2.0

Soylent 2.0 has less than 20 parts-per-million (ppm) of gluten but does not meet the Celiac Support Association gluten-free guidelines.

It seems like the culprit is oat flour.

While they haven’t made any “promises” per say, they do say:

We’re researching several promising alternatives to oat flour, but at this time we haven’t yet identified a suitable replacement.

So it seems like a thing they do want to “eventually” tackle, but it’s probably not high enough on their priority list.

How sensitive are you?

If you have an extreme case, i wouldn’t. Though if you did you probably wouldn’t be asking.

Assuming it’s a milder one, it’s worth trying. Though i would test it out in small amounts increasing slowly. Drink a few spoon fulls with other food to start. See how you feel. Then half a cup the next day. etc…

And no I don’t think 1.6 will be gluten free. Maybe at some point, when they grow everything in a vat / lab, but it’s a big expense and needs to be done each time they change formula.

Hey @kennufs @pauldwaite @mellored @hasen

I wanted to thank you all for your helpful responses. It will help me a lot!

I will let you all know how it went if i bite the bullet :slight_smile:

@mellored I’m still trying to figure out how sensitive I am. I had some setbacks but it’s hard to pinpoint where my limit is. Thank you :slight_smile:

I have celiac and had a reaction to Soylent. Too bad, because I love it. Went to Huel, which I don’t like as much, but also do not get a reaction.