Soylent and intermittent fasting?

So, Soylent is now taking orders (YAY!), now to deal with the wait.

Rob’s blog post today about accepting new ideas reminded me of how crazy Intermittent Fasting sounded to me initially almost a year ago. Since then, I’ve tried to keep a more open mind towards things that sound crazy at first, but might actually be both too good and true. I’ve been doing IF(Intermittent fasting) for almost a year now and couldn’t be happier with it. I’m hoping Soylent will be another one of those ideas that sounds crazy initially, but turns out to be a perfect fit.

I’m curious if there are any other intermittent fasters(IF) also planning on experimenting with Soylent.

The basics of intermittent fasting is you fast for 16 hours a day, and eat only in that 8 hour window(or 14 hours fasted for women). I learned pretty much everything from Martin Berkhan here: http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html

BTW, I have yet to try any Soylent.

What is the purpose of IF? How does it benefit you?
If it’s some sort of detox thing, I don’t think you’ll need to do that with Soylent, as it contains no unnecessary/harmful components. (In theory, at least. It may take a while to work the kinks out.)

The purpose of IF is to offer an alternative to the conventional “meal every two hours” method.

Personally, it benefits me because I don’t have to worry about my next meal every two hours. Frees me up in the morning to focus on other things and allows me to be much more flexible with my schedule, no matter how strict my diet is. It also helps me control my calorie intake.

IF is a form of calorie restriction based on time. It goes contrary to the belief that eating frequently is healthy. It has nothing to do with detox, juice diet, etc.
There isn’t much long term research on it, but it helps improving a lot of blood indicators like lowering cholesterol, IGF-1, triglycerides, avg blood insulin concentration. It has more benefits than the “hight protein diets” and it’s a hell lot easier and cheaper.

I’m on IF for some time. It is helping me lose a lot of fat without the burden of counting calories, food restrictions and other crap. It’s a lot easier than the traditional diets. And like Soylent, IF is helping me save money/time and lose weight.

I think you can do IF and eat Soylent(haven’t tried it myself), but only the ones with short fasting (less than 24h).

I would like to know more about the combination of Soylent and IF as well. I have been following Brad Pilon’s Eat.Stop.Eat. version (1-2 24hr fasts per week, eat normally the rest of the time, and do some sort of resistance training) since January. There appear to be a number of health benefits to short-term fasting, the most widely known being weight loss through caloric restriction (Brad talks about the physiology of fed versus fasted states in his ebook, which is well worth reading.) I know my overall health has improved, my body composition is the best it’s been, and I feel better overall.

If I go for Soylent, I plan on experimenting to see how I feel switching between the two. Maybe IF is superfluous with Soylent? I would like to know if anyone from the trials has tried the two.

I think there are two things to watch for when doing IF with Soylent.

-Since everything is finely measured in Soytlent(vitamins, minerals…), I’d increase vitamin intake if calorie restriction is too big.

-Soylent is very refined and easy to absorb, I think the blood glucose spike would be to big if doing something like the Warrior diet(one big meal per day)

Interesting. Thanks for the reply guys. As I’ve said earlier, I’ve been on IF for almost a year now and don’t plan on going back to eating all the time, Soylent or not. I will certainly share my results once I get some Soylent in from the project.

Been doing IF for half a year along with strength training, making some great progress and now kicking it up to a more serious routine in the last few weeks (ala r/bodyweightfitness). Having always been a lean guy, I have trouble keeping my calories up and used to skip meals from sheer neglect. I wasn’t always terribly healthy or perfectly lean (more relatively), but IF got me eating more heartily and more healthily in the 6-9hr window I’ve allotted for it while my waist shrunk and my weight hovered around where it had been prior to IF. Now that I’m seriously looking to put on weight, it can sometimes be difficult to overload on calories the way I need to, despite having developed a healthier appetite. I believe that a number of factors contribute to this, including a fairly busy lifestyle with many hobbies and obligations, as well as slightly sub-par meal planning stemming from family life and a frequently rotating work schedule.

Getting to the point, I see soylent as a great potential solution to standardize and boost my caloric intake without too much fuss, and eventually with less expense (I do eat quite a lot at home but rich tastes and keeping busy lead me to restaurants more than I’d care to think) alongside the likely nutritional improvement. Having also recently discovered the IF variant of “intermittent feasting” where one consumes the bulk of calories, carbs and the like the night prior to training (I guess like how when I was a runner, we had pasta feeds the night before a meet), I see soylent being a great lead-in for that on a daily basis, making up something like two late meals (afternoonish) prior to a big dinner.

Long story short: I’m looking forward to making soylent a key component in becoming harder, better, faster, and stronger and hoping it will be suitable to augment a more orchestrated fitness and diet regimen.

Dianne Rehm has done several shows on intermittent fasting, including one yesterday. I’d suggest anyone interested in the why’s or how’s listen to them or read the transcripts.