Soylent and lucid dreams

Maybe a strange question:
I’ve been on my Soylent diet for about a week and a half so far, and I have noticed that for the first time in a very long time, the dreams I have been having at night are much more lucid and vivid. I generally am not able to remember my dreams when I wake up in the morning, but for the past week, I’ve been able to remember my dreams during the day.

This wasn’t something I expected when I read about the biological and cognitive effects of Soylent, but it’s a rather pleasant side effect, I must admit.

Why could this be happening? Are there ingredients in my recipe that are behind this phenomenon, and could I isolate them to continue having lucid dreams even when I’m not subsisting on Soylent?

Interesting, wish I could help, but I hope you find a reproducible cause. I have rarely recalled my own dreams, and would like to have the ability.

Hmmm… found these tips here that may suggest some contributing factors. They don’t source their info, so I don’t know how reliable it is, but they seem to be in line with the few sites I read.

“People who sleep less than six hours have a hard time remembering dreams…”

“Try not to ingest anything for at least a few hours before going to bed…”

“Certain foods such as almonds and cherries help make dreams more vivid.”

“Take a vitamin B6 pill before bed. It will make your dreams more vivid.”

I have found that I have a better quality of sleep since I started soylent, maybe you are getting better/more sleep. Did you eat close to bed time before, but not any longer with soylent? Maybe the Almond meal and extra vitamins are contributing.

This site has some similar info and mentions a couple other supplements and drugs that may enhance dreaming.

Found this alarm app to help record and recall dreams.

Hopefully someone with more experience in this area can help out.

[quote=“AngerBoy, post:1, topic:11670”]
Why could this be happening? Are there ingredients in [my recipe][1] that are behind this phenomenon, and could I isolate them to continue having lucid dreams even when I’m not subsisting on Soylent?[/quote]
I’ve not particularly noticed any dietary link with my lucid dreaming - all I know is that I only tend to become lucid when I’m sleeping well (read: at ordinary times), and when I’m in practice. I’d be interested to know if you did any experiments etc.

You could be getting more choline than you had been in your previous diet, and that could conceivably contribute to your dreaming pattern. You might be able to verify this by removing it from your soylent, and/or supplementing choline in conjunction with going back to your “normal” diet for some period.

Though as you say, it’s not exactly a bad thing. Sleep and dreaming is important, and if your brain is functioning better this way, I’m not sure I’d want to rock the boat.

No idea if its related, but quiting smoking caused me incredibly lucid dreams for several months. It was fun!

You could look at the mechanisms behind that and see if there is are any patterns/similarities(?)

I haven’t noticed any dreaming effects myself from soylent, but i do get a much deeper sleep and i am noticably more groggy in the mornings (something to do with melatonin levels i think).

Thanks, all!

Nope, @Smaug, I haven’t done any experiments per se, so I don’t have a hard control against which to evaluate this phenomenon, just the (very clear) anecdotal data that I never remembered (or felt “participatory” in) my dreams in the past, but now I do - every single night. And I’m definitely not unhappy about this - it makes me look forward to sleeping more than before. :smile:

@QuidNYC and @kennufs, the choline and/or B vitamins could certainly be the culprits. I had very poor nutrition before starting on Soylent, so the addition of these two nutrients would definitely be “noticed” by my system.

Interestingly, it doesn’t seem to matter whether my evening meal consists of Soylent or something else; I would have thought that that’d make a big difference in the way I dream at night.

I started Soylent two days ago (One serving per day) and the last two nights I’ve had extremely vivid dreams that seemed to happen throughout the night. Pretty cool.

I’ve been having lucid dreams on Soylent as well. It’s been really noticeable, and quite pleasant for me.

I read above that it could be the choline; but I don’t see choline listed in the nutritional data for Soylent 2.0. Is it part of something else?

FWIW…I feel much better generally when I am dreaming than when I’m not. This is a completely unexpected but welcomed side-effect of Soylent for me.

In the list of ingredients Choline Chloride and Soy Lecithin.

And is there a listing of how much choline is included?

I have always had vivid dreams and no problem remembering them when I wake up. The first two weeks that I was on Soylent 2.0 100%, I felt like my dreams were enhanced, meaning that I experienced them and remembered them more clearly. Also when I woke up from sleeping I was immediately fully awake. The effect since then has dampened a bit. It is a pleasant side effect.