Soylent and pH balance

veggies are alkaline; does cutting them out as a ‘middleman’ in nutrient delivery have any effects? will my body have to work harder to maintain pH balance without them?

Histamine Intolerance/Vegan/Acid Base Balance

What do you mean with veggies are alkaline? All of them? Is it a virtue of them being green?

what do you mean by ‘what do you mean with’

Your first post makes it sound as if you are saying that all vegetables are alkaline.

From some basic google-fu it seems as though yes, most vegetables are alkaline and most fruits acidic.

On a less meta-thread level, it would be interesting to see what pH levels the soylent testers saliva and urine are.

Would any food/liquid that hit your incredibly acidic stomach acid be turned acidic anyways, nullifying any attempts at “maintaining a ph balance”?

I’ve been wondering the same thing. I’ve been racking my mind trying to think of any issue with cutting out actual food and PH was one that concerned me. However, at this time I am unaware if it has been addressed or not. When I get my soylent I am planning on testing it and comparing it to the food I normally eat.

Well according to those who follow alkaline/acid lifestyle/diet it’s the end result of digestion that determines whether a food has an acidifying or alkalizing effect on the body. Natural sodium (not salt), potassium, calcium, and magnesium are all said to have an alkalizing effect. If at the end of digestion there is a significant amount of these minerals extracted then that food is usually considered alkalizing. However, some say most fruits are not alkalizing because the rebound effect from the high levels of sugar has more of an acidifying effect than the alkalizing effect of the minerals in the fruits.

Soylent’s PH will effect the PH of you mouth which will effect your teeth. And since your mouth is the entrance way to your body, poor dental hygiene will effect your overall health. If we are drinking Soylent to become healthier, then the PH of Soylent is of great importance.

I tested my Soylent yesterday and got a PH reading of 6.0. Slightly acidic. Since I drank it for lunch, my teeth were coated with a slightly acidic film the rest of the day.

No, within 30 minutes, your saliva neutralized this, and there was no “acidic film” on your teeth. Your saliva is a very effective buffering agent.

If some food remained stuck in small crevices in or between your teeth, however, bacteria eating it may continuously produce acid, which will gradually eat away the enamel in that spot.

The OP is talking about “alkalizing” effects of food, not about the actual acidity of the food itself. It’s part of Alkaline Diet Theory.

bong000 - I don’t ascribe to the theory, but by the underlying principles, it shouldn’t matter whether veggies are the carrier or not. What matters is whether the remaining “ash” after the food is digested is alkaline or not. Veggies are considered alkalizing because they are high in things like potassium and magnesium, which makes for alkalizing ash after they’re metabolized or burned. Soylent is blended and fortified to make sure it contains a full day’s supply of potassium and magnesium.

Bear in mind that in Alkaline Diet theory, you need a lot of alkalizing foods to counter the effect of the acidifying foods - which include most animal proteins. Rice and rice protein are considered neutral or only mildly acidifying, so you don’t need to “offset” anything. Official Soylent is made with rice protein at this time. Many DIY formulas are made with whey protein, which is generally considered neutral or alkalizing (unlike whole dairy, which is considered very acidifying.)

The other big ingredient is oat flour from whole oats, which is also considered neutral to mildly acidifying (unlike wheat, which is considered more acidifying.)

The upshot is this, under Alkaline Diet Theory: Soylent doesn’t contain highly-acidifying foods, and is carefully supplement with calcium, magnesium, and potassium, all of which are alkalizing. Make sure to add the extra salt, as directed, because sodium is also alkalizing.

Summary: I don’t believe in Alkaline Diet theory, but under the theory, I don’t see a compelling reason not to consume Soylent.

Thank you very much for you input MentalNomad. Very informative and interesting. Eases my mind a lot.

6 pH is not really “acidic” in compared to normal tap water. As you will find water can be anywhere between 6-8 depending on where you live (minerals in the water). Another forum member tested how much Soylent lowered the pH, I suggest searching for the topic :slight_smile: (im on my phone right now)