Soylent as a replacement for one meal?

Hey everyone!

I’ve been reading about Soylent since March and I’m very interested in trying it out when the crowd-funding campaign ends. However, I don’t think I would ever be able to commit to replacing my current diet with Soylent. My girlfriend and I are both vegetarian and like to cook good meals together. It’s a bonding experience.

That said, I was wondering if anyone had any idea on how Soylent would function as a replacement for a single meal in a day? Likely breakfast since I don’t have time for a complete, balanced meal during the week.

Yes, Joshua, actually that’s the main idea. No one is seriously looking at abandoning food altogether – that would be an extreme undertaking, experimental and dangerous; there is still a little too much remaining unknown about human nutrition. If I understand Rob correctly the intended usage of soylent is precisely to replace one or two regular meals of the day, or alternatively just to free the user to cook only when it’s desired and convenient. So your intended use is squarely in the mainstream. :slight_smile:

I’m sure I’m not the only one, but I’ve been having a homemade soylent for breakfast (most days) and lunch (every day) for about 2 months with great success. Good energy all day, no post-lunch crash, and I can go home and have dinner with my girlfriend too :). One bonus to this approach is you can add in any day-time only supplements without worrying about being full of energy just before bed.

I think that it would work great for that.

While I do not know how the commercial version will be packaged, all you would need to do is adjust the micro nutrients as needed to make sure you don’t go above the UL of some of the nutrients. Should be pretty simple to do.

There’s no reason to think it wouldn’t be just fine.

As good a meal replacement as any of the usual stuff (those Yogurt drink thingies for example), maybe a bit more balanced. :slight_smile:

The only “negative” point might be that you could be missing out on some of the benefits, like saving energy used for digestion. Not sure how that would work with one Soylent meal only. :slight_smile:

Thanks for all the positive replies. I’m sorry if I’ve missed the point Soylent. I think I had the idea Soylent was intended as a (mostly) complete meal replacement. I think I got that idea from Rob’s blog (saying he’s replaced his regular food intake with Soylent) and the recent articles on Forbes. I guess in practice, that’s actually difficult to do for a lot of people.

Well, my guess is that some will try it, Joshua, but I would imagine that, over the long term, very few indeed would break altogether with solid food. I could be wrong, though; it’s one of those things that will make observing this a continuing fascination. Maybe soylent is the future just peeping over the horizon, and maybe it’s just a continuation of the old Metrecal and Instant Breakfast story.

The only reason he (and a few others, including me) lived on Soylent only for a month or 2 was:

“For science!”

Just to test if it works.
Rob still likes to eat with his friends from time to time, I still like chocolate and ice cream, and someone else still enjoys cooking - when he finds the time.
Soylent is only for when Rob is working/not with his friends, for when I don’t have a freezer filled with ice cream nearby, and when the hobby cook is currently nowhere near his kitchen but still hungry.

Smart man! :smile:

@Joshua_P I’ve decided to do a multi-month experiment as well, but I have planned to have real two meals a week so that I can still go have fun with friends, etc.

The thing I haven’t read yet and that I don’t know if it’s already published somewhere, it’s about the size and weight of the body. I read that is not the same quantity for everybody, you have to arrange it according with your weigth and size (like in tallness (pardon my english)), but Rob didn’t specify the quantitys by weight and size. So it’s something I really want to know before trying it. And also they were talking about chemical cancellation between some ingredients, and I understand the concept, but how do we know what ingredients cancell each other, at what quantities and how can we fix it?

He actually said that HE did replaced the 90% of his meals. But he also said (and repeat several times) that he did it as an experiment and he will NOT advise that other people try that becouse there’s so little that we know about nutrition that can it actually be pretty dangerous. The other people that are trying it as he does, they do it for science, fun, whatever. But that is something that people keep saying over and over and is that why they think we are crazy. Is not about stop eating food, is about eating less poison food and more healthy stuff. What I’m planning is to replace with Soylent all the meals that are high fat or have chemicals, conservatives, etc. And complementing it with a lot of fruit, some free sugar salads and, eventually, why not? A Pizza :smiley:

@Gabriel_Alejand
Yes it is true that a lot of nutrient consumption is based on size, weight, height, body chemistry and a million other things.
This is why I think there will be some issues with Soylent. Soylent does not appear to take these into account per se. It takes it into account that you can easily alter things to fit your needs, but you have to know what those are. I am currently struggling with that and my custom recipe.

Personally I am quite a bit bigger than most people, also I consume way more food than most people. But even after talking with a couple of pharmacists, they all agreed that I should only consume vitamins and minerals (multi vitamins) at a 2,000 calorie diet.
I’m not sure if they thought I would sue them if something bad happened to me, or if it is actually true. I think it is probably the former rather than the latter.

The problem though is I don’t know if there is any real info out there to help determine amounts based on size and weight. I think it has all been created based on a generalization that covers most of the population and leaves us average impaired people out of luck.

Just to check, did you ask them if they meant this specifically as “You should not get more than the RDA on vitamins etc from supplements”, or did they indeed mean “You should not get more than the RDA on vitamins etc from anything, including food”?

I don’t know either btw if you should adapt micros to your calorie consumption/metabolism/size or not.

I don’t think they could mean “including food”. It’s ridiculous, he’s taller and weight like 40 lbs more than me and I would starve on a 2000 calorie diet. He start posting that he was putting over 5,000 calories on the diet. Rob is shorter, but almost the same weight, but Harvey do much more exercise than him. Rob started with over 1,500 and increase to 2,500 to compensate. Also, we have to take into consideration our own biology, allergies, diseases, gens bugs, disorders, hyper and hipothyroidism, diabetes, all kind’s of things. Also the nutrient bioavailability and some nutrients cancelling each other. Also adapting all that and changing it constantly so it can adapt to our body and our weight, becouse of course we’re gonna lose weight so it’ll be necessary to change the recipe constantly. And all that while we take care not to die…

I fucking love science… also I think we’re gonna need some chearleaders here.

At some point I need to figure out how to do the quote thing again on here. It was working fine when I first joined, but now I can’t get it to work. Oh well.

@CuriousBen
This was quite a few years ago, and I was working at a helpdesk for pharmacies. I was on around a 4K or 5K diet and I was reading that my daily intake values of my vitamins were based off of a 2K diet. So I started to call a handful of pharmacists around the country and I asked this question (or something similar):
“I am a big guy, and I am consuming around 4,500 calories a day just to maintain my current weight. I have a poor diet, so I am taking a Centrum multi-vitamin to compensate for my poor diet. But all of the values on the bottle are for a 2,000 calorie diet. Since I am consuming more than double of that, should I be taking 2 of these multi-vitamins a day?”

I know that magnesium is supposed to be consumed based on body weight, but that is the only one that I have specifically looked at this week. I am pretty sure there are others I have researched in the past, but I don’t want to quote on my hazy memory.

Personally I believe Soylent is / should be a custom solution for people. Of course there will be a baseline that we all should follow, but there are going to be differences in some things. This is why I am doing the DIY so that I can see how my body reacts, and I can begin to come up with possible solutions before the real Soylent hits the market.

If you highlight a piece of text, a little box comes up that says “quote reply.”

That little box doesn’t popup for me anymore. I broke it :frowning:

Based on that I would say that they were just warning based on supplements. Especially a multi like that, because it contains some components where the upper limit is pretty close already. So taking two would put you above that.