Soylent bad for the poor nonsense

Let’s fight it. We’ve seen a couple of articles/arguments now that soylent is bad for the poor/economy/food in general. Personally, I think it’s crap.

But what if we nipped that in the bud with a Soylent donation program. But instead of donating canned goods or top ramen packages, we donate a days worth of full nutrition.

I’m thinking some kind of add-on, like for every month subscription an extra pouch would go to a food bank. A built in donation type deal. Maybe the Soylent team could even match that.

What do you think? It might take some coordination with the food shelters, but surely they might like the idea.

That seems kinda cool to me. Though frankly I think those who choose this particular platform to rail against Soylent, will still find fault with the idea, stupid stuff like how it only helps those in shelters, or it ignores the plight of (insert group here)_ or whatever.

I see no harm in such a program and even some potential good, but I doubt it would do anything to quell the idiots babbling absurdities.

I like it and would participate.

this is true. But like any fanatics, they will be pushed to the fringes once the proof is overwhelming. I’m pretty certain Soylent is better for the masses than our current aid system. We just have to help get it out there.

Agreed, it will happen eventually and I’m happy to be a part of it. :smiley:

Once Soylent becomes commonplace, sure. But it wouldn’t be understood by most food pantry consumers at this time.

I am in. I don’t really understand the issue people have. Now I am not homeless and poor, but I can only imagine that poor hungry people given the choice of being hungry or not, I think they would choose to not be hungry. I would rather send Soylent to the starving kids in Africa, if the starving in America are too uppity to eat it.

I agree that it would make sense. However, the conspiracy theorists are mostly focussing on the “threat” of forcing the poor to subsist on this stuff rather than “real food”. Never mind that (a) a lot of the customers are well heeled professionals, and (b) people are begging for their paid shipments here.

Eve

The argument I have seen is that the poor will be forced to eat Soylent and the rich will be able to eat extravagantly. To this I say isn’t this what is going in now, except the poor have noting, or McDonald’s.

I’d be willing to donate a day each month.

What I don’t get is, let’s say for a moment that the government decided that the only food they would subsidize for low income families was Soylent.

Doesn’t anyone realize how much BETTER this would be for those people?? Currently the stuff covered by “food stamps” tends to be the worst pre-packaged crap. Soylent would be a drastic improvement on every conceivable level. The fact that people completely miss that, boggles my mind.

Why does everyone think every person with any amount of wealth is a Bond Villain?

Seriously, only a nutcase could come up with this crap.

I agree. I’ve seen people buying $70-80 of (expensive, not Banquet) TV dinners with food stamps. Those aren’t very healthy.

Wait, you mean we’re not? Oh come on I’ve got the cat & everything!!!

I disagree with the premise the OP made. Being a transplanted Scott, everytime I hear about “donates this much to charity”, “volunteers at a soup kitchen” etc, all I think about is how that person must think they are grandiose doing this small thing to help a few people. So you paid $1 a day and fed some child in Africa. Did that actually make a difference? No, because you have to keep spending. Nothing changed.
Now imagine a world where Soylent is readily available to anyone. That’s why we should be promoting it (if you care about the world’s problems). Get brick and mortar stores and get it known to the communities and around the world. Prices drop… world changed.
But hey, what do I know, I’ve never tasted Soylent and am I’m just looking forward to getting my order.

Well obviously I meant besides @vanclute

I mean, how else did he get his Soylent so fast?!

That’s right, I know about the Death Ray…

Also the other thing people seem to leave out is that money isnt the only motivating factor for soylent, at least not in my case. The convenience and peace of mind knowing that this nutrition aspect of my life is at or near 100% and i dont even have to think about it, that is why i can not wait for soylent to FINALLY ship to me. Obviously theres no way i could prove it, but if i was wealthy, I would still be choosing to consume soylent (or its equivalent) for the exact same reasons as now.

The government deciding that Soylent is the only thing that would be given to the poor will never happen in our life-times - and I hope never will (but I won’t be around to see it anyway).

But I do agree with what you said later though – Soylent would be better for “those people” because they do buy too much pre-packed stuff and waste their Food Stamps on easy quick poor quality food.

My mind is boggled everyday because I have to put up with “those people” everyday who act like they can’t buy real food because they are on FS. But then you ask if they know how to cook they look at you like they are too good to do something like that.

The way I’m seeing it, like you are, is that it would be much better.

The way I see it, the most likely way Soylent will break into the government would be as an alternative MRE. An MRE is a bit over $7 a meal, while its not all food inside the pack, I’m sure they could at-least drop a dollar or two off using soylent instead (no need for silverware, heating pack, etc). While a $2 savings doesn’t seem like much, over all the meals it would be a huge savings, even if only made an MRE option (Maybe they can ditch the omelet ones).

From there, arguments could be made “If its good enough for our troops…”

Yeah it’s gonna be interesting to see exactly what road Soylent takes to mass adoption, i.e. consumers, low income subsidization, military, foreign aid, etc. I definitely think it’s gonna happen, and the military avenue would make a lot of sense. The bottom line speaks very loudly when it comes to that kind of thing I’m sure, and keeping soldiers well fed and at optimal nutritional function, would certainly be a really good thing. Same for any kind of emergency service personnel for that matter, EMTs, police/fire, doctors & nurses, surgeons, the list goes on…