Soylent... beer?

So I noticed something especially interesting when a three-day old mix of mine, that’s been out of the cold for a little too long, starts smelling… fermented. The mix that did this was a 50/50 whey / rice protein, oat powder, canola / olive oils for fat, and dextrose for carbs (~1800kcal, 80% carb, 120%+ fat mix?).

What’s more surprising: it doesn’t actually taste bad once it gets a start (tested and then promptly chucked, but still.)

Anyone familiar with the beer / alcohol making process know how to encourage this to an actual beverage? What sort of unholy concoction could be wrought from such an attempt?

I’m honestly curious enough to give this a shot.

I absolutely hate the smell of my soylent as it goes bad. And the taste twice as much :stuck_out_tongue:

You could certaily try using Soylent as the starting point for brewing. I think if you accidentally made ‘beer’, you got lucky, mine certainly doesn’t smell good when left to fester.

While I’d love to think this could work, there’s a few reasons that come to mind which make me think it won’t.

• You need to sterilize your mix before adding the yeast. This is usually done with very careful preparation cleaning+sterilizing prep work for all your equipment, and a long, high temperature treatment of your prepared ingredients. The high heat here is going to start screwing everything up.
  • The heat and time required here will start to breakdown your proteins, and amino acids taste terribly bitter.
  • The yeast is going to eat your sugars so you’ll need to properly add extra sugars just for them.
  • I can’t imagine the alcohol content is going to do your nutrients any favors here.

I would expect any efforts along these lines to come up with a non-sweet (missing sugars), bitter (denatured proteins), sour (from wild yeast since you probably won’t be able to properly sterilize), and/or mal-nourishing (heating and alcohol could destroy nutrients).

Alchohol also inhibits absorption of b vitamins.

Actually, the base recipe for soylent wouldn’t make a bad beer, though the bacteria won’t really metabolize proteins. Slow fermenting beer isn’t impossible, and the cooking process is mainly to break down starches into sugars and sterilize the mixture, neither of which is necessary if you inoculate it with yeast.

So basically, take your current mixture and add a pinch of brewing yeast into it to let it sit in the dark (but not in the fridge), shaking every day or so to keep the yeast in suspension and speed up the fermentation process. Normally, bottom fermented beer takes months, but this should help it move faster. That would probably give you a proto-beer with a bit of alcohol content.

The only problem is that most people don’t like drinking brewer’s yeast - they find the “lees” at the bottom of the bottle rather bitter. Some kinds of yeast have a better flavor. With a bit of research and experimentation, I’m sure you could come up with one you like the taste of.

At that point, bottoms up!