Soylent bug tracker (à la bugzilla)

As a software engineer, I know that I’m much more likely to succeed at diagnosing problems when all of the necessary information is right in front of me. @rob, @mattcauble, and others on the Soylent team can probably attest to that.

Soylent has stood out as drawing certain analogies to software development in its terminology (beta testing, products referred to with version numbers, etc). In this sense, Soylent has completely changed the discussion around food and invited engineers to apply some of their tools and techniques to an entirely different domain.

I propose that the Soylent development team start an official bug tracker, on http://bugs.soylent.me or something of the like. An existing bug-tracking platform can be utilized, as there are many open-source options available (such as bugzilla). That way, users can provide structured feedback and cut down on duplication where possible.

In some cases, it may also be useful to have certain required fields, such as what percentage of a person’s diet is Soylent, how old they are, weight, height, etc. Attachments would also be necessary as some people in the QS movement may have invaluable data to provide for the team.

Obviously, there will be certain privacy considerations involved. My thought is that some people may want to selectively suppress certain fields or attachments, which they may feel uncomfortable sharing with the world at large and only intend the Soylent team to review.

In spite of the obvious challenges, I think that the engineering approach to food is something that makes Soylent stand out, and draws many in the IT and scientific fields towards Soylent in the first place. A bug tracker is a natural application of that idea and will continue on the path towards refinement and the ideal eating experience.

Might want to use the url bugzilla.soylent.me to avoid any bug related confusion.

Absolutely signed. It totally fits with the ideal and spirit of soylent as an engineered product.

This is actually a really good idea.

Great idea indeed. 1 2

While I think it is a good idea, my concern is that some ‘bugs’ may be caused by the uniqueness of an individual/group of individuals. That is to say some ‘bugs’ may be caused by those who share a certain genomic sequence.

Which could be like different versions or configurations of software. For example, when a bug only happens on Windows 8 machines running Internet Exploder. While the humans may not be able to enter all of their genomic info from the beginning, data on the ‘bugs’ can be collected, and questions about the genomic info (aka the persons’ configuration) can be asked.

This is the point where I try to restrain my inner geek, and that soon genomic sequencing will be less than 1,000USD before long…

Try $99, actually. 23andMe did this before the FDA came in and stomped on them.

This would be great for http://DIY.soylent.me to integrate with, clinical trials, and any experiments we or the community runs.

+1 to you and we will add this to our rapidly growing pipeline of software tools.

@Karunamon The 99USD options only sequenced a portion of the genome, which would make it cheaper than sequencing the entire genome. They look at specific spots for changes, and those spots may or may not be related to genes that affect ones dietary needs.

We use the Illumina HumanOmniExpress-24 format chip (shown here). Our
chip consists of a fully custom panel of probes for detecting single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) selected by our researchers.

I’m not sure how many actual nucleotides they would look at, but it would appear to be at 24 locations.The entire human genome is over 3 billion base pairs, so they definitely aren’t looking at the entire thing.

Please make this happen.

I don’t know why this wasn’t day 1.