Soylent CEO Could Face Criminal Charges for LA Hilltop 'Experiment'

You might want to look into this a bit more before you bash it. There is at least one company building houses (multi-story even) out of those things (in California, I think, but I might be wrong). Insulating them is as easy as covering the inside and outside with spray on insulation. The corrugations in the metal help to hold just the right amount. Used shipping containers are also pretty cheap, and they are designed to be stacked while full of very heavy cargo. The typical house has much lower density of stuff, meaning you can safely stack them pretty high for a multi-level home, even if they are no longer in good enough condition to use for shipping (the company that makes them cuts out sidewalls to make larger rooms). I mentioned this before, but shipping containers are also extremely Earthquake resistant (like, a fault could open up right under one, and as long as it was still well supported on both sides, it would probably be fine). And, as someone else mentioned, they are practically fire proof. (Also, they are their own built-in lightning rods, and if it was not for electrical codes assuming wood and concrete are the only viable building materials, you could even use the house as a ground rod under the right circumstances.)

There are only two difficulties with shipping containers. The first is that electrical codes were not designed with metal walled houses in mind, so they tend to prohibit things that would make shipping container homes far safer than other materials (well, safer than they already are…). The second is that it is far more difficult to hide wiring in the walls, so surface conduits tend to be better.

Shipping containers make great houses at a very affordable price. That said, Rob probably could have avoided a lot of problems with a few buckets of stucco and maybe some paint. While I am all about letting people use their land the way they want, I can understand people considering that thing an eyesore.

I’ve looked into it plenty, they’re crap. Better than nothing, but still crap.

I guess if that’s your opinion even knowing the facts, not even the facts will convince you.

There is a reason that we are still building with wood instead of materials that are not pretty awful for building houses, and it is not that most people actually study things out and make wise choices based on facts and evidence.

Saying something is crap without explaining why, is crap.

I explained everything I need to in previous posts, so why repeat myself?

It’s the internet - no one scrolls up past a page fold, especially not something from two months prior and 65 responses. Its easy enough to say, they’re crap, see my post above. I would not have known you already answered that question, because I am not going to scroll through to read 65 posts.

[quote=“rybecarethdar, post:63, topic:25840”]I guess if that’s your opinion even knowing the facts, not even the facts will convince you.[/quote]The facts will not convince me that shipping containers make for a half-way decent house because I’ve spent months of research looking for the best way to build my own house. I have family & friends who are carpenters & architects & even assuming that they might be biased against the idea, I’ heard better arguments for making houses out of bags of dirt & old tires.

His post was in response to one of my old comments, so it was safe to assume he’d already seen them. I wasn’t talking to you.

Open forum bro. :sunglasses:

Obviously I can’t speak to what you need to explain or not, but unless I’ve missed something, you said:

Sounds like more of a statement than an explanation to me — which is, of course, cool, but I would love to hear more details.

Soylent CEO still hasn’t removed remnants of shipping-container home, prosecutor says” - LA Times article

But what about his “sorry, not sorry” blog post?

Lol. Meow Global Networks Inc. Throwback to the RF days.

If “the next check-in is due March 8”, quoting the article, I don’t understand why the article seems to claim the clean-up should be completed now. If there hasn’t been a checkin, doesn’t that mean they haven’t checked for compliance and won’t till March 8?

No, that’s the NEXT check-in.

It was mentioned in the article:

An inspection Monday revealed pylons and graffiti at the Montecito Heights site, perched on what locals know as Flat Top hill.

So, everyone seems to know more about the legal implications of the word “checkin” than I do. I would have thought that one checks the site to let the property owner know whether the cleanup has been sufficient, but that is different than what I would call a “deadline”.

Since there is another checkin scheduled, I would think that this checkin is no big deal, just in the nature of a status report, and more work remains to be done.

Looks like the saga may be drawing to a close. Rob entered a plea of no contest and will receive no penalties as long as there are no more code violations on his property for the next year: