Soylent cookies taste like cookies! Delicious!

RECIPE
Using @leecauble1’s recipe which you can find here, I whipped up my first batch of Soylent cookies this morning. I did the mixing last night before setting in the fridge to chill overnight. I forgot to document the mixing, but I took photos throughout the cooking process this morning.

VARIATIONS
@leecauble1’s recipe is for peanut butter chocolate chip cookies. I made 4 variations of her recipe. Half of the Soylent was mixed using peanut butter, and the other half using regular butter. Then each of those was split in half again and mixed with chocolate chips. I decided to see what it would taste like with cinnamon sprinkled on top so I ended up having 8 variations, technically.

DOUGH TEXTURE
The peanut butter dough was very easy to handle and did not stick to things the way the butter dough did. The butter dough was seriously sticky and I had to wash a fair amount off of my hands. When rolling into balls to place on the tray, I had to continually sprinkle my hands with flour to keep them from sticking to my hands. This was after letting it chill in the fridge overnight.

COOKING TIME
The recipe said to cook for 10-12 minutes and cooking longerr might give crispier cookies. I cooked some for 12 minutes and some for 15 minutes. The ones cooked for 15 minutes were good at first but when they cooled completely, they tasted slightly burnt. 10-12 minutes is definitely the sweet spot.

TASTE TEST
All of the cookies ended up tasting pretty great. The peanut butter ones taste more like energy bars, and the butter cookies are closer to regular cookies. My boyfriend said the chocolate chip butter cookies could easily pass as just regular chocolate chip cookies and I agree. They are by far the best tasting ones, followed by peanut butter chocolate chip which taste more like energy bars.

Peanut butter, no chocolate chips, no cinnamon - pretty bland
Peanut butter, no chocolate chips, w/ cinnamon - pretty bland
Peanut butter, chocolate chips, no cinnamon - tastes like an energy bar
Peanut butter, chocolate chips, w/ cinnamon - still tastes like an energy bar

Butter, no chocolate chips, no cinnamon - very bland, needs more sugar.
Butter, no chocolate chips, w/ cinnamon - a little better, kinda like snickerdoodles
Butter, chocolate chips, no cinnamon - tastes like a regular chocolate chip cookie
Butter, chocolate chips, w/ cinnamon - maybe conflicting tastes but still good

FINAL REMARKS
Overall, these cookies are amazing. They taste great, and even though there’s extra stuff added to them, it’s still probably healthier than my previous diet! Because they are cookies, I am drinking a ton of water while I eat them. I was having trouble drinking enough water with Soylent as a drink so this might help with water intake. Since I only need 1300-1500 calories/day, I don’t mind if some was wasted sticking to bowls and my hands. However, I’m interested to know if anything happens to the nutrition content during baking. Am I cooking out all the good stuff? Could someone live primarily on Soylent cookies and be as healthy as they would be on Soylent prepared the normal way with water?

PHOTOS
Without further ado, here are the photos!

Please leave comments, ask questions, give suggestions. I’d like to try more baking/cooking with Soylent.

UPDATE: INGREDIENTS
List of additional ingredients and their nutrition content. Nutrition obtained from nutritiondata.com and my own ingredients. There is definitely a substantial increase in calories, 2343 for peanut butter and 2307 for butter. That’s more than double what is in Soylent alone. The chocolate chips are about half of that at 1120 calories for one cup, so you could leave out the chocolate chips to cut a large chunk of calories out. I would love to figure out a way to bring that waaaay down so that you could “eat” Soylent with a very minimal change in nutrition. If anyone has any ideas on how this might be achievable, please let me know and I’ll give it a shot!

Egg (2 medium)
126 calories
8g fat, 2g saturated fat
372mg cholesterol
124mg sodium
12g protein
8% vitamin a
4% calcium
8% iron

Vanilla extract (1 tsp)
12 calories
1g carbs
1g sugar

Brown sugar (1/4 cup)
209 calories
15.5mg sodium
54g carbs
53.25g sugar
4.5% calcium
2.25% iron

Peanut butter (3/4 cup) - NOTE: you would either use peanut butter OR butter, not both
876 calories
60g fat, 12g saturated fat
906mg sodium
60g carbs
6g dietary fiber
18g sugar
42g protein
6% calcium
18% iron

Butter (3/4 cup) - NOTE: you would either use peanut butter OR butter, not both
840 calories
90g fat, 60g saturated fat
180mg cholesterol
60mg sodium
6g protein
60% vitamin a
6% calcium
12% iron

Baking soda (1/2 tsp)
0 calories
640mg sodium

Semisweet chocolate chips (1 cup)
1120 calories
64g fat, 40g saturated fat
144g carbs
16g dietary fiber
128g sugar
<16g protein

Thats an awesome break down. Thanks for the work!

Great job. The dough looks just like mine. I’ve been talking with @MattCauble about getting analysis on cooked Soylent. They are working On that. Although what I’ve read at the low temp used for these cookies the nutrients should not change. We do need to calculate the additional calories fat protein carbs the added ingredients bring. Then we can know what each cookie has.
Really hope you all enjoy these. I put a couple in my bag to go hiking. Great pick me up on the trail.

Anyone want to try Nutella or cashew butter.

Thanks Lee! I saw that Rob said Soylent is heat stable at the This Week In Startups video from 2/26/14 (Rob comes in around 1:11:30). I’m not sure if that’s changed since then, and an official confirmation that nothing is lost in baking/cooking would be great.

And yeah, I wish I could just ignore all the extra butter and sugar that went into it… lol.

Oh btw, I meant to ask… what is the reason for letting the dough sit in the fridge for 4 hours? I don’t bake enough to know if that’s a normal thing or if it’s special to Soylent dough or what.

The basic recipe from Betty Crocker. I recently saw some pics of cookies with different fat/shortening used and baked immediately or after 4hours or overnight. The overnight actuality produced a better cookie. Don’t know the science behind it. Any one know Alton Brown?

I don’t know him, but I met him in SF. He did a show and came out before the show and shook everyone’s hand and took pictures with them. Man’s a genius.

I am not a fan of that man. I am a bigger fan of Adam Richman, and the hateful things Alton said about him and his show were out of line if you ask me.

I made a batch. I also rolled the dough in cinnamon sugar before pressing them with a fork. They turned out great.

Just wondering, how many cookies does one batch make?

@Mystify that sounds amazing.

@zheshishei I don’t know exactly how many cookies it made but you can see in the pic it was two large plates stacked with cookies. I’d say it was between 24-30 cookies total.

If my counting skills are up to scratch, then I count 28 cookies in the photo. Hm, I wonder if 28 cookies over the course of a day would be filling. I guess I’ll try it out this weekend with a lot less peanut butter and no chocolate chips.

We preferred the butter cookies over the peanut butter and they actually had less calories (not by much). It would be about 3000 calories total to do the full recipe with butter and chocolate chips, but you would only be able to eat half of the cookies per day. You could potentially try that this weekend. Make one batch, eat 14 cookies on Saturday and 14 cookies on Sunday. If you need more than 1500 calories, you can supplement with something healthy. Personally, I am trying for more like 1300 calories per day to lose weight, and when I ate half the cookies the day I made them I still had to eat dinner that night because I was hungry.

If you do try an all-cookie weekend, update us with the results!

I was thinking about cutting the amount of peanut butter to a quarter of a cup (~4 tablespoons) and leaving out the chocolate chips to leave it closer to the original caloric content of soylent. I’m not too sure how much that would affect the flavor, but I guess I’ll find out soon enough. I already mix in about 1-2 tbsp of pb into my soylent, so for cookies, the only extra nutrients would come from the eggs + 2 tbsp of pb. That’s not too bad imo.

Give it a try and let us know!

Same reason as letting Soylent sit in the fridge overnight - the dry ingredients can still “soak up” more of the wet ones, and after setting in the fridge the batter is thicker and smoother. As I understand it, this is a common trick to improve regular cookies as well.

Don’t forget about the brown sugar, unless you’re not using it.

Ah right, i forgot to include that. Still, it’s not too bad. It comes out to a total of about an extra 600-700 calories. So, let’s say I make 27 cookies. Each cookie would then be equivalent to ~100 calories. That certainly makes things easy lol.

Thank you to everyone who has taken the recipe and tweeking it. I know the original was not the healthiest from the stand point of the additional fat and sugar. I had used less PB in the beta batch and wanted more flavor. I think @vanclute was going to try powdered PB. Curious to know how that turned out.