Soylent Cooking Recipes Thread

##Behold, my newest creation:
#Key Lime Soylent!
No actual people were harmed in the making of this soylent

It’s a bit hard to see with the white chocolate on top, but it’s a nice emerald green.
Recipe as follows:

3 cups dry soylent mix (I’m using this as a base)
1 tsp cinnamon
20 g baking powder (only if your soylent has none already)

1 1/2 cups sugar, xylitol, splenda, etc. (only if your soylent is unsweetened like mine)
2 limes
2 oranges
white chocolate chips
1/3 cup canola oil
vanilla extract
water
green food coloring

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F/ 175 degrees C

1. Zest the two limes into a bowl. Juice the limes and the oranges into the zest.
  2. Add a couple drops of both the vanilla extract and the green food coloring and, if needed, add your sweetener of choice. Stir to dissolve the sweetener (it may not dissolve completely).
  3. In another bowl, stir the dry soylent mix, cinnamon, and baking powder together with a large spoon, making sure to break up any clumps in the soylent and the baking powder.
  4. Mix the green juice into the dry batter and stir. It will probably have a cookie dough like consistency.
  5. Add the canola oil to the mixture and stir. Add in more water while stirring to achieve a cake batter consistency.
  6. Grease a pyrex dish with non-stick spray. Pour the green batter into the dish and place in the oven @ 350F/175C.
  7. Bake for 40 minutes, checking every so often toward the end to make sure it doesn’t burn.
  8. Remove from oven.
  9. Microwave ~1/2 cup of white chocolate chips in a bowl for 1 minute, stirring occasionally until melted evenly. Add a couple drops of canola oil to give it the consistency of frosting.
  10. Spread white chocolate on top of cake with a spatula (it’s best if the cake is still hot while doing this)
  11. Enjoy feeding your friends Soylent Green! warning: You may not want to share…

My recipe is a little low in vitamins k and c. Spinach, however, is high in both. So now it is my extreme pleasure to debut to you…
##A New Soylent Green recipe:
#Feta and Spinach Pizza!

I had a bit of a mix up with this beauty. I used too much oil and too little powder, consequence of using a different measuring cup than normal.

Recipe:
1 1/2 cups dry soylent mix (same as above)
5 g baking powder (if your mix doesn’t have)
5 g/1 tsp garlic powder
5 g/1 tsp oregano
5 g/1 tsp basil
2.5 g/.5 tsp black pepper

1/4 cup of canola oil

1/2 bag (5-6 oz.) of baby spinach
1 medium onion
1/4 cup of white cooking wine
4-8 oz. feta cheese (depending on how much you want)

Preheat the oven to 400 F/205 C

1. Dice the onion into strips. Sautee until translucent and just starting to brown.

2. Cut up the spinach (if smaller pieces are desired) and add to the onions. Stir and cover for about 1 minute.

3. Add cooking wine and stir for one minute. Set aside spinach and onions to cool.

4. Place the soylent powder, baking powder, and dried spices into a bowl. Mix thorough with a fork, breaking up any lumps.

5. Mix the oil with the dry powder and stir in a little water. It will be grainy. Try to get something a little wetter and thinner than the consistency of pizza dough.

6. Pat the dough into a thin layer on the bottom of a greased pyrex dish. Top with spinach and onions and crumbled feta.

7. Bake the soylent pizza in the oven at 400 F/205 C for about 20 minutes or until the crust browns.

8. Try to let the pizza cool for at least a couple minutes before you devour it!

##And lo, there did appear a THIRD recipe for:

#SOYLENT stuffed GREEN peppers!

Ingredients:
2 large green peppers
1 1/2 cups unsweetened soylent
1 medium onion
2-3 Baby Bella mushrooms
1 sausage (I used SmartDogs Italian sausage)
parmesan or romano cheese
canola oil
water

Preheat oven to 400 F/205 C

1. Cut the tops off of the large peppers and remove the seeds and stem. If you’d like, you can dice the tops (not the stems) to sautee with the sausages later. Spray or wipe the outside of the peppers with canola oil or cooking spray. Place in loaf pan. You may need or want to prop up the peppers with foil.
  2. Dice onions into strips, sautee on medium heat until brown and translucent. Set aside in a bowl.
  3. Dice mushrooms and sautee until brown. Add to onions
  4. Cut the sausage into small cubes and brown in the pan, adding the diced pepper tops if you wanted to keep them from step 1.
  5. Mix your soylent powder with any spices you’d like and add in your oil (my recipe calls for 1/4 cup).
  6. Mix in sausage, mushrooms, and onions. Add water to achieve a doughy/pasty consistency.
  7. Spoon the mixture into peppers and top with parmesan cheese. Place into the oven at 400 F/205 C.
  8. Your baking time will vary depending on how soft you like your pepper. Mine was still a little bit firm after ~30 minutes.

*** 9. The inside will probably be gooey, so be sure to bring a spoon!***

I was just planning on getting some green food coloring to put into my liquid Soylent.

My classmates are going to give me so much shit next quarter.

Rob gave a presentation on Wednesday and mentioned that v1.0 is heat stable and can be baked/cooked, he also mentioned several things he has seen made using it as a base. This is a long video, the Soylent presentation begins at about the the 1:11:30 mark.

Interesting. I’m getting a bit excited for the official soylent, even though I’m not a backer. If they get kosher supervision, I’ll definitely start experimenting with it!

I expect they will go kosher, if not in the initial run, shortly after. I have seen them mention getting the seal of approval.

Me too, I was the one talking to them about it.

Currently waiting in the wings for a recipe (I’m just abusing this thread to keep track):

• Soylent Atole (mexican masa based drink)
  • Dandelion Pesto Pizza (high in vitamin K, like spinach above)
  • Spirulent (soylent plus blue-green algae Spirulina. Very high in vitamins…)
  • Pina Soylenta (I may actually buy coconut milk and crushed pineapple tonight… Any thoughts on the effect of alcohol on whey isolate?)
  • Fruity Oaty Bars (from Firefly/Serenity)
  • nutrigoopv (from the Matrix), though I imagine this is just plain soylent with very little flavor. That’s the impression the movie gives…
  • Mudder’s Milk (also from Firefly, specifically the episode Jaynestown) - 'all the protein, vitamins and carbs of your grandma’s best turkey dinner, plus 15 percent alcohol." The trick will be to make sure that nothing gets denatured. I’m thinking a good coconut rum might actually work. This could be slight regression of the Pina Soylenta…

Hmm, yes, the DIY site ingredient database doesn’t have an entry for People, and I’m not sure where to find nutritional information…

We’ve had several Sci-fi greats now like Soylent Green, Bachelor Chow, etc. I’m hoping someone will do nice recipe for Fruity Oaty Bars:

I don’t know about he nutritional effects, but according to David Mitchell (on the subject of mixing whisky into cup-o’-soup) it does “knock back the loneliness” :wink:

I think that’s a pretty easy one. Just add fresh strawberries and raw fruit powder to an oat based recipe…

Okay, that’s now on the list…

Yes, that’s why I thought it’d make a good soylent recipe concept, even though as far as I recall there is no suggestion that the “real” Fruity Oaty Bars were meant to be a total food replacement.

Though actually, now that I think of it, there is a fairly direct soylent analog in the Firefly 'verse, which also ties in with your alcohol question!

Mudder’s Milk: “all the protein, vitamins and carbs of your grandma’s best turkey dinner, plus 15 percent alcohol”

That idea derives from supposed practice of the ancient Egyptians, a form of beer / liquid bread fed to the slaves building the pyramids. “Kept them from starving and knocked them out at night so they wouldn’t be inclined to insurrection”

Well, that’s easy enough. Just add some Jack Daniels to your soylent, and there you go!

And did they give a name to the oatmeal goop in the Matrix?

Not sure, but nütrigøøp sounds pretty good.

Since I’ve devolved this into a general “Soylent Cooking” thread, I’ll post some of my latest beauties in here. Hopefully later today.

Seriously, this stuff just gets tastier the more I experiment with it…

@isaackotlicky, thanks for creating this thread and sharing some of your creations here! I found this thread by reading the soylent applications overview thread, and noticed that you mentioned microwaved recipes as a possibility. Have you come by any more microwaveable (read, convenient) culinary concoctions involving Soylent?

As the spirit of Soylent so prominently emphasizes convenience I’m sure that many will be interested in that sort of thing.

Sadly, @isaackotlicky hasn’t visited since the end of May. I’d love to see him back in the community, though.
I’d also love to again hear from @J_Jeffrey_Bragg. He was making an whole foods Soylent, but he disappeared from here as well.

Yep… I did drop off the face of the earth shortly after my daughter was born… I’m just getting my feet wet again in the forums. maybe I’ll move back on to soylent soon…

The experimenting DIY with me never stopped though - I took up woodworking and am making a batch of cheese overnight :smiley: Time to fire up my rusty soylent skills…